“Mixed experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
South Staffordshire
“Mixed experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I booked one night here after staying here at a similar time last year. However, on this occasion we booked through an on- line booking site at a discount and can't help wondering if this had a bearing on this year's experience.
Firstly, the pro's:
The staff are extremely friendly, approachable and eager to please and are a credit to Puma Hotels.
The location is ideal for access to Oxford, plenty of parking and a bus stop close to hotel make it easy to travel into the city on the very frequent bus service
The entrance and reception area is modern and bright.
The "cons":
Our room decor was very dark and a little dated which is ok for a one night stay. However, some issues of housekeeping are what really lets it down.
The curtain was hanging off the rail - a small matter but noticeable and doesn't give a very good impression.
There was a similar problem with the shower curtain in the bathroom
The tile grouting around the shower area was stained and the bath waste looked dirty and had definitely seen better days
The toilet bowl below the water line was stained with a build up of limescale and really needs to be replaced as a matter of urgency as it is certainly not what one expects in a 4 star establishment .
Another small matter, complimentary toiletries such as a shower cap were missing this year although basics such as shampoo and shower gel were there. Cost- cutting perhaps ?
In short, rooms look a little tired and need a refurbishment. Come on Puma Hotels, your staff and guests deserve better!

2 Thank Fionnsmum
oxfordgm1, General Manager at Jurys Inn Oxford, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to comment on our hotel.

I greatly appreciated your balanced review and although I was pleased to read of all the good points it was of course disappointing to note areas we could have been better at.

I will certainly be speaking with the Head Housekeeper regarding the room issues however as Trip advisor is anonymous I would greatly appreciate an E-Mail or call to advise which room it was that you stayed and I will inspect this personally.

In the meantime thank you again for your comments and I hope to be able to weclome you back to the hotel at some point soon.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Thai first
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

secret escapes trip so pleased to have a large light room staff all very helpful and friendly despite hotel being very busy.Dinner was very good as was the included wine.Very handy location as near a frequent bus route Oxford is not a good place for a car.Will definately stay again.

Room Tip: higher floor quieter
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. Your comments and feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to you staying with us again in Oxford.

daveybear
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Booked with Secret Escapes, this was an excellent stay in a really well appointed area. It was easily accessible from the motorway and a short bus ride into the city, which eliminated any parking issues.
Check in was quick, we were given access to our room an hour early and the upgrade was well worth the extra £10 for a large, spotlessly clean room with an amazingly comfortable bed.
The selection of food at the buffet breakfast was extensive and dinner, which was part of the deal, was superb, with friendly, efficient service from the staff.
The only minor issue is that, like some other reviewers have found, the layout can be confusing although this is a trivial point set against the many positives.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on our hotel and for taking the time to comment on Trip advisor.

I was pleased to read your very positive comments and the team will be delight to hear of them.

We hope to see you back again soon

Letchworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

May as well share the e'mail that I sent to the manager. I've got nothing to hide, wonder whether the same can be said for the hotel? ...

"You left a message on twitter for me to contact you?

Whilst I'm at it I suppose that I may as well give you a brief rundown
of the issues that we encountered.

1, In May my partner booked a double room with yourselves. There was no confirmation from yourselves until she chased you via e'mail.

2, The room: twin beds pushed together does not a double make?

3, Housekeeping: attention to detail?
There were two failed lamps in our already poorly lit room.
It's always worth to check the obvious?
The bathroom sink overflow, which can be clearly seen reflected in the mirror was filthy, as per the attached image ..."

2 Thank Bill16STN
oxfordgm1, General Manager at Jurys Inn Oxford, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review on our hotel and for using twitter.

I was sorry to read that your overflow in the bathroom was not clean and I will have the maintenance team look at this today.

Regarding your bed, most hotels now use a zip and link mattress system in the bedrooms to allow maximum flexibility to enable us to meet the needs of our corporate guests who tend to need twins during midweek and our weekend guests who prefer double beds. I will check to see that this system was used and I can only apologise if they did not do so as this should have been in place.

I am of course happy to discuss this with you and if you wish to do so please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel either on my e-mail p.russell@pumahotels.co.uk or on my mobile 07810 127615.

Paul

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a short break with secret escapes.. the hotel is modern, spacious and well laid out. Our twin room was very clean and comfortable.. but the best bit was the great dinner which was included in the deal along with breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful making for a great stay. Whilst the location is a few miles out of the city, there is lots of free parking on site and the bus stop is really close to the hotel. The buses into the city are very frequent and easy to use.

Room Tip: Upgrades to a premium room is only £10 per night which we recommend.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review and for your feedback on the hotel and especially dinner.

The team work hard to deliver the food and quality we do and I was pleased to note you enjoyed the expereince.

I look forward to welcoming you back at some point soon.

walsall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Check-in was rather slow, and would have expected more staff on a Bank Holiday Saturday afternoon. At least a hundred yard walk to the bedroom, and having had to pull suitcases this distance because no porter seemed available, together with the fact that I have a walking stick, the weekend break didn't start too well. However the evening meals were good and the Restaurant Manager and staff, went out of their way to fulfil our needs. Wasn't keen on the self service breakfast, felt like a "free for all" and would have preferred to have had the choice of being waited on, although I appreciate that in a hotel of this size this could prove difficult but surely this could be offered at an extra cost if required. Bedroom was good but could do with a little updating, carpets a bit shabby, but otherwise not too bad. Requested a ground floor room because it did not want to climb stairs, only to find that the restaurant was on the first floor and no lift seemed available, which I found surprising. The room was quiet especially for the amount of people staying over the weekend. Probably would not stay there again only because it is too big and slightly impersonal.

Room Tip: You need to be fit to use this hotel.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on our hotel.

Whereas I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay overall, your comments regarding breakfast are noted and gratefully recieved. We will shortly be introducing a chef in the restaurant who will be cooking eggs to order and assisting our guests where needed which I am sure will be a great improvement overall. The team would have been more than happy to deliver your breakfast to you if requested and I regret that you felt this was not available. With regards to a lift, I do need to add that there is one that goes directly to the restaurant from the ground floor and this is available at anytime however we do not have any others as the hotel is quite spread out with a ground and first floor only. As the hotel develops we will of course review this further and I hope it did not detract too much from your overall stay,

I hope that you do decide to revisit us and once again thank you for your review.

Ipswich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We only stayed here one night as we got a special deal through Secret Escapes.
It is a modern hotel located just 6 miles from the city centre. The bus stop is right outside.
The hotel furnishings were colourful and modern. Having stayed in older more traditional style hotels, I think I prefer them to this modern interior.
The reception staff were very friendly. Check in was quick and we were early but they did not say anything.
Our room was quite small but had most things we needed, except for an iron!
There is no hotel information booklet which I found quite unusual.You therefore had no reference for restaurant meal times or facilities.
The bathroom supplied toiletries but only tiny ones. Barely enough for one shower.
The bed was very comfortable and the sheets we sooo soft I wanted to take them home!
Our deal included dinner and a bottle of house wine. The restaurant is an AA rosette awarded restaurant. I consider myself an expert on eating out and although the food was good I do not think it warranted the award. However, there were a lot of people eating who seemed to be on similar deals and it appeared that we were all seated separately from the diners paying ‘full price’ who were in another section of the restaurant near the windows. The menu was not different though as this was on a board downstairs.
Our bottle of wine was a very good Chenin Blanc so we were more than happy with that.
Food was presented very well and tasted good but it wasn’t outstanding. Also, they have gluten free options shown on the menu. I am Coeliac so this was good for me. The only thing was, there was not a lot of choice for GF. I think they probably could have amended some of the other dishes to make them GF but I didn’t ask. Because it was so busy, the staff were rushed off their feet. They still managed to be attentive but I noticed a few mess ups! I was given a biscuit on my dessert and they knew I was gluten free. They also gave us the bill for another table! Good job we checked! Another table were offered the wrong meals. Also, a table were not served their starters for a considerable time.
Not a bad place, but not great.
The breakfast was not too bad. The staff did not cope well with the volume of diners and tables were left full of dirty plates etc for a long time. We could not find a made up table and had to ask for cutlery. The hot food was a good quality. The eggs and mushrooms had lots of flavour. The gave me GF bread on request but when I asked for it toasted, it came back barely warm so I did not eat it.
There is a lovely walk very close by. If you turn right out of the hotel and walk straight you come to 2 pubs close together. They looked very nice. If you keep to the left and walk on, you come to The Trout, and excellent pub. It is alongside the river and you can walk along there for miles.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to write on trip advisor.

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay overall however sorry to read that you did not enjoy the food as much as I would have liked. We do typically get very good reviews on the food delivered and I can only apologise that this was not to the standard expected on the day.

I do hope that you get the chance to try us again soon and I am sure you would have a wonderful experience of our hotel and our food and thank you again for your valued feedback.