“Great view from the top”
Review of Carfax Tower

and up
Oxford, Stratford and the Cotswold Villages Day Trip from London
Ranked #32 of 185 things to do in Oxford
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Carfax, the center of Oxford's shopping area since the medieval times, this tower is all that remains of the 14th-century Church of St. Martin.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Well worth the climb if you are capable of tackling the narrow winding steps. The view from the top makes the effort worth while.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

came here after visiting the nearby town hall for a geocaching event. loved learning the history of the place but once i reached the top could have done with a panel explaining what you could see from the tower. Even as a relative local i could pick out some sights but not al of them.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Although my husband can sprint up 250 or more stairs to get to the top of a bell tower or sight, this 99-step challenge was more my style and very rewarding!

The Tower is all that remains of the 14th century St. Martin's Church on Carfaax Square - apparently the rest was demolished in the name of progress in 1896. The staircase is a little narrow but not claustrophobic and you get a brillian panoramic view of not only the historic colleges and buildings in town, but the lovely countryside as well.

At GBP 2.3 each, it was a great bargain and helped us appreciate the layout of Oxford.

1  Thank TwoEurophiles
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We visited here last weekend during our stay in Oxford, my boyfriend wanted to go up another tower (can't remember the name though) unfortunately the queue was massive and it was also quite expensive, so on way back through the shops I spotted Carfax Tower and we decided to go up here instead - the chap was closing 15 minutes later so we didn't get very long but it was enough time. It was quite a steep climb, I'm not great with heights but it was a doddle compared to St Pauls Cathedral! If you don't like metal spiral staircases I would give it a miss though. Once up there the view is really good and you can see for miles.

1  Thank PINKPRINCESS17
Reviewed February 14, 2013

£2.30 for the 99 step climb to the roof, excellent views and no pigeon poo...History on the first floor and no frightening climbs...well worth a visit especially when the weathers fine....I would include it on my cycle tour if it was asked for...

1  Thank Empidog