“Seriouly long wait for food and seriously overpriced!”
Review of Shezan

Shezan
Reserve with OpenTable
Shezan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #196 of 680 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Shezan stands on the 1st floor along a narrow passageway off the famous Oxford High Street. The premises are in use as dining rooms since 1915. No. 135 dates from the early eighteenth century. It is a grade ii listed building built c. 1679.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Excessively long waits for food, minimum 40 mins for starters in an empty restaurant at that!
Owner more interested in chit-chat than taking your order, [expect to be asked the same thing everytime you go there because he forgets too.]
Food ok but seriously over-priced!! Having ate at some of London's finest indian restaurants, can safely say Shezans is the eptiome of poor value.
Main courses at least £2 more than equivalent places in London, portion sizes sadly only half the size !!
the price of a naan towards the top end but lacks authenticity and no bigger than the size of a small starter plate.
when ordering a muttar paneer main dish expect to pay ~ £9 for a handful of peas in a bland sauce with a few pieces of paneer.
Naan bread will come unbuttered and be similar in taste to what u'll find at ur local convenience store.

12  Thank Terry M

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Dropped in here last night with my daughter. Restaurant is on first floor and very nicely decorated. It was very humid and roof fan did not work which was a shame. No problem with the service and the food was excellent. We had wine which I thought was a little expensive and the 2nd bottle they bought was red and not the white we asked for. Turned out the waiter was new and learning the ropes which was fine as we all have to learn:-) But overall I would recommend this restaurant to anyone in the town and looking for a curry. I will certainly be returning.

2  Thank Bob W
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Found this restaurant with the help of aroundme app on the iphone. This place is based in the heart of the city centre in Oxford. I wasnt too hopeful about Shezan in the beginning but I was happy once I walked in. The place is beautiful and creates a good ambience. The food was equally nice. The owner and the staff were very friendly. I would definitely go next time I am in Oxford.

2  Thank Amol83
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My wife and I went to this restaurant by chance. We were planning to go somewhere else, but as I had a painful, sprained knee (and walking was difficult) we decided to go to the first Indian restaurant we found. We were not disappointed.

The Restaurant is on the first floor above a shop - a bit of a pain for me (literally!). It is tastefully decorated, and has very friendly, attentive staff. It is central to the City centre, and easy to find.

The food was delicious - the best Indian cuisine I've had at this price for a long time. Total cost in the region of £40 for two (papadoms and pickles to start, two main courses with Indian breads, side salad, and a large bottle of sparkling mineral water).

If you are visiting Oxford, and fancy a curry, do pay a visit.

3  Thank MPMUk
Reviewed June 2, 2012

The food is okay, certainly not bad. However, it is very expensive for what it is.

Examples; chicken shashlick £10.95, chicken madras £9.95, chicken Jalfrezi £8.95, pilau rice £3.25 & Peshwari nan £3.45. Bottle lager (330ml) £3.45. For a meal for 9 people, Poppodoms x 3, starter & main course, with three beers each, it came to £298 + £30 service charge. That's £36 each, ouch! The restaurant can't even claim to have expensives decor to charge such prices.

12  Thank Harry3310