“Nice stop for tea and cakes”
Review of Patisserie Valerie

Patisserie Valerie
Ranked #17 of 18 Dessert in Oxford
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Lovely selection of cakes. Very tasty macaroons! Loose leaf tea instead of bags is nice. I'd pop in here again for afternoon tea.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good or better than what you expect from a chain cafe . Very busy, but staff found a table, took order quickly and were friendly. Food and drinks were good, not special. Would go back to a Patisserie Valerie.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

One look in the window at the wonderful cake slices persuaded me that this was going to be our lunch stop for the day.
A colleague and I ordered sandwiches, I chose tuna melt; he chose chicken and bacon. They both came as toasted sandwiches with thin chips and a decent salad garnish; both really good. Almost too full for cake, we decided that we had to make the effort – I chose strawberry gateau (slice), my colleague lemon cheesecake. Both were good-sized portions, mine delicious, washed down with coffee and tea. The bill came to £32.35, a reasonable price for the centre of Oxford in a building with history.
The only downside was the toilet area, which definitely needed an upgrade.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The only reason why I am leaving a review here is that the management, despite being aware of this problem, refuses to do anything about it. The liquid handsoap in the toilets smells like rotten eggs- it literally takes your breath away how gaggingly awful it is. A staff member on hearing my complaint seemed embarrassed to admit she knew of the problem, but that the situation had not been rectified.
I fail to understand how a problem like this as simple as it is to fix (go to Boots and buy a different handsoap) persists! Having access to decent soap in a toilet is kind of a basic requiremtn for a cafe.
Shame, because the place is ok- nice pastries, pretty good coffee.
Not in a hurry to go back.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stopped in here for an afternoon pickmeup after a long day of sightseeing in Oxford, we were drawn in by the tempting display of goodies in the window. We were seated immediately and were able to quickly place our order. I had the cream tea which came with 2 warm scones, butter, assorted jams and cream and my son had some type of chocolate cake. We thoroughly enjoyed our treats and felt quickly revived although the overall experience was spoiled just a little by the slow service. There seemed to just be 2 members of staff who were both rushed off their feet coping with the counter service and waiting tables. The cafe was full and I think could benefit from an additional member of staff, the 2 young men worked hard, were very polite and did their best but they could not keep up, not their fault.