“Good location but noisy”
Review of Old Black Horse

Old Black Horse
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Almost centre of Oxford, lovely and very clean room however the rest of the hotel could do with a make over. Had booked 2 nights. This has got 4 stars from the tourist board how I don't know, I would give it a good 2 stars.

Pros: Good location
Very nice and clean room
Free cark park

Cons: Rest of hotel needs make over - dirty old carpets in hall especially
Is a pub with rooms above it - so no reception, reception is the bar and the bar man.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Old Black Horse is not really a hotel, more rooms over a pub.

It is in an excellent location, a few minutes walk from the city centre. It also has a car park. Hotels in Oxford that have parking tend to be very expensive or a distance out from the centre. The location and parking are therefore two big positives about the OBH.

Our room (room 5, at the front on the top floor) was newly decorated and had a really good shower installed.

There weren't many staff, but the ones we encountered were very friendly.

There were some negatives though. The pub is on a busy main road, so it is noisy at night. I appreciate they can't help this, but there are other issues that are within their control. The busy road is always going to be there so you'd think that the management would ensure that everything else about the accommodation was spot on, sadly it wasn't.

There was evidence of cost-cutting everywhere.

Breakfast was a big let down. The menu referred to a range of fruit juices. There was one option, some sort of mixed fruit juice, which was watered down. The menu also promised cereal. There was cereal, but the options were cornflakes, rice crispies and weetabix, the three most basic everyday cereals - where was the luxury?!

The wifi was dreadful, we could barely get a signal in our room, sometimes it wouldn't connect at all.

In the room, we had to ask for milk, there was none on the tray, nor were there any biscuits, nor decaff coffee. Also the toilet paper was cheap.

The bed was comfortable but had a metal bedframe with an "end" that protruded above mattress height - no good for taller sleepers.

The hotel has sign outside saying that it has four stars, I would not consider this four star accommodation. It was telling that the certificate displayed inside awarding the four stars was from 2006.

It should also be noted that this is a very old building therefore the accommodation is not suitable for wheelchair users nor people with other mobility difficulties, there are narrow stairs and low ceilings and there is no lift.

All in all the Old Black Horse is a cheap (relative to other Oxford hotel prices) and cheerful option, just don't expect any frills or luxuries.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms not overlooking the road, they should be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julestri
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Old Black Horse is a 10 minute walk in to the town centre, free on site parking and a good breakfast. The building is old and the floors slopey but that is all part of the character. We were in Room 1 in the main building which is above the Public bar. There was loud music playing on the Friday night which kept us awake for a bit. We told the Manager this on Sunday morning when we were chatting to him before our departure, he was not happy about this so I gather the chap in charge of the bar that night should not have had the music cranked up. That was the only thing that ' blotted their copy book' for us. We had a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kastell04
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The room I have is fine in all respects except that it faces the main road and as a old coaching house does not benefit from double glazing to keep the traffic noise down. Bed is comfy enough and Aussie barman is pleasant enough but during my stay the place was mainly taken by construction workers who were on a 6 month project so as a pub the place was dead for hours on end.
A five minute walk however takes you to the middle of historic Oxford so it is great for exploring without paying top dollar for central hotels

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everyone at the Old Black Horse was lovely, very friendly and very nice. But what they have to sell to you does not match their level.

I stayed in the self catering apartment out back, past the bins, perhaps the same one as the previous reviewer?. The place smelled horrible and had most likely suffered at the hands of a smoker. The bed was a grim piece of kit - time to invest in a new mattress. Cold too, with no extra blankets. Oh, and this is the only place I ever stayed in where they were unable to make edible toast. Normally toast has been, well toasted really.

Room Tip: For saying this is a student town, the rooms out back in the annexe are actually rather quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Pete_Chipp
Reviewed October 22, 2012

On the 22nd of September 2012, I stayed with my girlfriend in the Black Horse in Oxford. As there were no other rooms available, we took the family self catering apartment for the price of £125. On arrival we were shown to our room. It was cold and had a stagnant smell. None of the utilities were on, and over the phone I was walked through how to turn them on by fiddling with the fuse box. So the fridge and freezer were out of use for our 24 hour stay as they would not be sufficient temperatures. The TV didn't work. The cutlery and utensils were dirty. The gas stove has to be lit by a match or lighter that wasn't supplied and i presume same with the oven as nothing happened there and i would not like to risk sticking a lighter to the back of an oven.
We went out for a drink and when we returned i was to lie on my half of the bed. I went straight through as the wooden slats were out of place and I had to go under the bed rearranging the slats. It was not i would expect when paying £125 for a night, having to fix the bed. Again in the night the slats had moved and i woke up with ditches in the bed. After the bad nights sleep i was lying into till check out time of 10.30. Around 8.45 there was several knocks at the door, i walked downstairs to hear room service/house keeping...
I was told that the room was only used for workers during the week.
The manager on duty throughout this was unable to offer subsequent compensation saying was told take £10 of the bill from what he had heard the previous night.

It was the last night of our road trip of England, visiting many B&B's and we didn't feel a humble atmosphere here. It was the most expensive night we had paid and our worst.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank max c
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Yes, it's an expensive place to stay, but so is everywhere else in Oxford and I would much rather stay in a cosy, well-located place like this than a chain hotel on the side of the motorway! This place has charming character and is just over the bridge from the centre of town.

Despite being located in a pub I had no problem with noise carrying up to my room at the back, and appreciated being able to use the back door rather than walking through the bar every day. The room was clean and, although small, had everything I needed - decent shower, comfortable bed, telly and internet access. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, making me feel very welcome.

My one criticism was that breakfast wasn't really up to much (very greasy, and I could hear a microwave pinging) but there are very many places in Oxford to get a very good breakfast so I wasn't disappointed. They could do with more staff at breakfast time as the one gentleman tending to all of the tables seemed to be struggling.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo