Mercure Eastgate Oxford
$383
$371
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$100
$149
$121
$115
Official Site
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$91
PremierInn.com
$137
  • Breakfast included
1,160 results
All reviewshigh streetcar parkprivilege roomexamination schoolsmarco pierre whitemerton collegeold buildingcentral locationthird floorper dayexcellent locationeggs benedictwithin easy walking distanceon site parkingbreakfast was excellenttwo night stayno lift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a nice corporate hotel, but I was shocked by the unprofessional service I received at the bar. I politely asked the bartender, Philip (?), for a bucket of ice. I needed the ice for a knee injury. He said that there were no buckets of ice, so he gave me a small glass with ice. I went back to my room and went downstairs again to get another small glass of ice. When he saw me the second time, the bartender exploded. He started bollocking me in front of the front desk person (Georgia), and then in front of the night manager. I felt bad because they felt embarrassed by his behaviour. Eventually I got a bucket with ice. Since that incident I felt intimidated and hesitated to go downstairs again. Please, do not ask for a bucket of ice at this hotel, you will risk the wrath of the bartender...

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dera Lawrence 23

Thank you again for your feedack.
Following your earlier email and my subsequent telephone call to you.
This is very much an isolated incident and I have given you my assurances that the matter will be dealt with.
I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

On arrival at the hotel, we managed to park in the hotel car park which was very convenient. Reception staff very pleasant and helpful, they offered us an upgrade for £15.00 which we accepted. The room was small but the amenities within were excellent. Love the coffee machine together with the tea and coffee tray. Nice touch and it meant we could have proper coffee on our return from dinner. Reception organised taxis for us which was very efficient. Breakfast in the restaurant was good. I ordered poached eggs which were lovely and arrived very fast. I think overall it was value for money and I would return. We had room 203, as I said, small but perfectly formed and a lovely bathroom.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Atinkerbel,
Thank you for your very posive comments following your stay with us.

Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The location was great, the rooms although a bit small were clean and well decorated. The wifi was good and the staff were very obliging. Did not require car parking but on site parking was available which was surprising given the central location. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Ros V

Thank you for your very positive feedback following your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Iain WaiteGM

Reviewed May 26, 2014

The upside is location and really nice people on reception and the building does have some character. I stayed for one night and my first room was ground floor with very noisy air-con fan and next to a banging corridor door. When I opened my window onto the car park I was immediately above three refuse bins and next to the electric sub-unit. However, the delightful (French?) lady on reception changed my room to second floor looking across to the Exams Hall. This was better.

The downside was value for money. Oxford can get very busy and has a dearth of good hotels which pushes the price up. If I had a room rate of 50% of what i paid then the rating would probably go up to '4'. The hotel creaks and groans a bit and breakfast was nothing special. On departure, the gentleman checking me out was very friendly and had a taxi at the door within 5 minutes.

In summary this hotel is OK, a bit pricey, creaks, but has nice people working there and is really well located.

Room Tip: Probably best not to be facing on to the High Street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Drewwat88
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
At the outset ,please accept my apologies for the issues with your first room . I was pleased that this was resolved to your satisfaction.
In relation to value for money your comments are noted,we believe that we charge a fair market price within Oxford

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Address is High St Oxford but Merton St mentioned, would have made it easier to find, particularly the car park. Asked to leave card with pin number incase of additional expense during stay but refused to leave pin number as only I would use this to authorise a payment..Very convenient for center of Oxford. Enjoyable breakfast spoilt by Robert Waite marmalade, completely wrong consistency. Lastly, it would have been considerate for the management to warn residents that a private function would be held in the restaurant in the evening as the noise level meant we had to shout to be heard in the lounge while visitors congregated for pre- dinner drinks. making the lounge a no go area for an hour and residents unable to use the restaurant. Not up to the standard of other Accor Hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

DearJoanE
Thank you for your feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.
Please accept my apologies for the issues you highlighted, all of which will be addressed.
In relation to two points, should you wish to open an account so that you may charge items to your room it is standard practice in most hotels to pre- authorise a credit card by swiping this and you entering your pin code.
In relation to the group dining in the restaurant, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this caused you. Whilst we were aware of a large group being booked in to dine ,the Restaurant and bar was still open, it was not closed to private event , however being so busy there are limitations on available space at peak times.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards Iain Waite GM