Mercure Eastgate Oxford
Euro Bar(Oxford)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
1,159 results
All reviewshigh streetcar parkprivilege roomexamination schoolsmarco pierre whitemerton collegeold buildingcentral locationthird floorper dayexcellent locationeggs benedictwithin easy walking distanceon site parkingbreakfast was excellenttwo night stayno lift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Myself and my wife traveled back to my home town for a pre wedding anniversary celebration, & some xmas shopping. We have stayed here before, & the location is perfect. Room this time was also excellent, and we will definately be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear 69 Karoke

Thank you for your positive feedback following your visit to the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 12, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having stayed at other Accor hotel's brands which can be rather clinical, it's nice to stay somewhere with a bit of character for a change, although that does have its downsides as other reviewers have noted. Thankfully having requested a larger sized room on my booking, I was indeed given one with plenty of room to swing a cat and a generous bathroom too. According to the flre exit floor plan I could see that there are indeed a number of much smaller rooms. The furnishings were reasonable although not the most modern, good sized TV with excellent selection of channels, and all fixtures and fittings seemed to be working included the heated towel rail in the bathroom. Generous supply of toiletries. Room temperature was OK - it soon got hot with the radiator on but easy to turn it off. Free wifi in the room worked well and bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows.

I paid an extra £10 to try out the breakfast. Continental is a nicely laid out buffet but you have to order anything hot, and I was asked if I wanted a cooked breakfast before I had a chance to see the menu that had kippers on it which I would have preferred. The porridge I ordered at the same time arrived after about ten minutes together with the cooked breakfast. The host did at least ask me if I would like them to keep the breakfast warm while I ate the porridge, but then forgot to bring it to me when I had finished so I had to find him to ask for it. Nevertheless the service in the almost empty restaurant was polite and efficient apart from that. Slightly intrusive eclectic background music typical of Accor hotels - maybe they're trying to make you think it is 'tres chic'.

The location is excellent for the city centre and about 15-20 minutes walk from the station (or by frequent direct bus to a stop just 2 minutes away). But the old buildings that comprise the hotel are not very well sound proofed and although just off the main High Street, I was woken several times by loud traffic, street cleaning machines and bin emptying trucks at all hours of the night. The secondary double glazing helps keep the rooms warm but is not good at keeping the sound out. Maybe there are some quieter rooms - but you might end up with a smaller one!

I paid £40 for the Sunday night through the Accor Hotels LeClub Happy Mondays deal. Very reasonable price but I wouldn't have been happy if I'd had to pay the more usual rates of £150 upwards!

Room Tip: Ask for a larger quiet room as far away from the main street as possible, hope you'll be lucky!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank MikeWReading
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Mike W.

Thank you for your comprehensive review of the hotel.
You make some very constructive comments which we will address.
I was pleased to read your feedback and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I booked this hotel as something different for our anniversary. I paid £169 for a double room (NOT including breakfast), which is a little over what we would usually pay.

When we got to the room it was not like I expected, it was very small to the point when we opened the door it skimmed the double bed. We had to then shuffle round to get past the end of the bed and the TV stand. The bathroom was nice and clean but lacked any luxury that you may expect for the price.

The door did not lock properly do we used the chain that was available. We were woken up at 8am the following morning due to other guests doors banging very loudly. You would think that they would do something to prevent this.

We paid £15 per day for a "valet" service car park but we didn't see a valet at any time.

We did not complain at the Time as maybe I thought my expectations were to high. But looking back I have since emailed my concerns.

It is on the other hand located in the middle of Oxford and in a great location. (I understand that some of the price would be due to this) although our room view was overlooking the back of other buildings...

It will not be a hotel that I will be recommending to anyone, which is a Shane as the reception and staff are lovely and welcoming.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room that is pictured in the standard double else you will end up with a miniature one!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kayleigh J

Dear Kayleigh J.

Further to our telephone conversation earlier this week.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment you experienced whilst visiting the hotel last weekend.

As discussed when you are next planning a visit to Oxford ,please contact us directly and we will ensure that you have a much improved stay.

kind regards

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Had a nice time staying in this hotel for 3 nights, the bar did nice cocktails and drinks. The staff were very friendly and the location was great, very central. The room was a little small but that didn't bother us because we didn't spend much time in the actual hotel as we were out and about all day

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear KirstyMason

Thank you for your positive feedback on the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kind regards