“OK hotel with a (nice), but helpless receptionist”

Mercure Eastgate Oxford
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Normally we don't stay at chain hotels, but when trying to find a hotel in central Oxford we ended up with Mercure Eastgate. The exterior is nice and when we entered, we got a good welcome. Our executive room was large, but we also had a glimpse of some very tiny rooms (classic rooms). The breakfast the next morning was OK. Why then only three stars? First, the corridors were tiny and with some not too new carpets. But in an old building, the corridors tend to be a bit tiny. When we had checked out we had no plans not returning to this hotel. But our train to London left a bit later, so we placed our luggage at the hotel and had a last walk through lovely Oxford. When returning to the hotel, they called for a taxi and we asked for our luggage. The receptionist went for collecting the luggage. And we waited and waited and waited and he didn't come back. We had a train to catch and became inpatient. Another guest also waited for her luggage. The female receptionist then went to find her male colleague and came back with some luggage, but not all. After 15 minutes I and the other gust went searching for the "missing person". The luggage room was in the first floor and there at the elevator the receptionist was standing with some luggage but NOT with our last missing one. The other guest then got in command and told him to give her her rucksack which he had on his shoulders and follow me back to the storage room to get my last item. This man was one of several "helpless" employees we met in England. I don't understand that the management doesn't train their workers better. When we left the hotel for the last time, we were sure we would never come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Looking_for_charme
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Looking_for_Charme

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Mercure Eastgate Hotel.

I was sorry to read that your exit was delayed by the collection of your luggage, for this please accept my sincere apologies. This matter has been addressed with the Reception Manager.
I was also disappointed and confused to read that that you will never stay with us again. Your comments with the exception of your departure were very positive .I do not accept that my staff are not trained or indeed helpless. We continue to try and improve all areas of service and you comment on the good welcome you received
I do hope that you will re-consider and re-visit the hotel on your next trip to Oxford.
Kind regards
IainWaite GM

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Like staying with an Aunty who has hit on hard times and can't afford the up keep.

On first appearances this wonderfully situated old building looks great. Then you notice the book cases are in fact wallpaper simulations and the carpet is a bit threadbare.

Staff are friendly though and the rooms are just fine.

Tip: pay extra for a room with view to avoid window onto the carpark.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank SybariteCK
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear SybariteCK

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us.

I can assure you that “aunty” has most definitely not hit on hard times.
The hotel is trading very well and we have an ongoing refurbishment programme which will address any areas of carpeting which has shown excessive wear. I am sure that you can appreciate that given the sizes of our lounges; it would not be practical to have large book cases adorning the walls. We have had very positive feedback on the design of this area.

Thank you for your positive comments on the rooms and indeed the friendliness of the staff.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The location of this hotel could not be better. Very handy for all the sights. During our stay the temperatures were in the mid twenties and the air-conditioning could have been more effective. Also the room was in need of some attention. The carpet was stained and the mattress very soft. Service in the bar could have been quicker although staff were always helpful and friendly. All-in-all I would say that it was not good value for what we paid.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Christopher A

Thank you for your comments relating to your stay with us.

Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you highlighted, in relation to the fabric of the bedroom and the air conditioning. This will be addressed with the Housekeeping team.

I was sorry to learn that you were not served quickly at the Bar; however I thank you for your kind comments made in relation to friendliness of the staff.

Your final comments indicate that you did not feel that you got value for what you paid; I believe that we charge a fair price for all our services and I will ensure that all of your points are addressed to improve the visit experience for future guests.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here only one night and arrived late. We were in a bottom floor which surprisingly meant that we had to carry our luggage down one flight of stairs from the lobby. Once in our room we noticed a dank smell, but it was very late so we got ready for bed. Once in bed, we began to hear a drip and discovered the air conditioner was leaking and the carpet was wet in that area, which accounted for the smell. I called the front desk and let it ring multiple times with no answer. We ended up just going back to bed, but only to be awakened an hour or two later by the guests (and friends) in the adjoining room. It sounded like they were in the room with us. My husband called the front desk and informed them (this time they answered). It took about 20-30 minutes before things quieted down. Early the next morning we were again awakened by the guests next door. The walls in this hotel must be very thin (poorly insulated) because we could hear their conversations. Upon checking out, we informed the desk attendant who didn't seem to know what to do other than to offer her apologies and asked us if we would like to speak to the manager rather than taking this upon her herself. At that point, we simply wanted to check-out and get on with our day.

Room Tip: Do not get a room with an adjoining door unless you know the people staying in the adjoining room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Cc

Thank you for your relaying your comments, relating to your stay via Trip advisor.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced whilst staying with us.

The issue with the air conditioning unit is most unfortunate and could only have happened on the day, all our rooms are checked daily and this would have been reported by the housekeeping team to our Maintenance Engineer. It is unlikely that this caused any room odour. However we will continue to monitor this.

In relation to the noise disturbance from the guests next door, I can only apologise to you this is not a common occurrence.

I was disappointed to learn that you did not receive an immediate response from our night staff, a point which I will address with the Reception Manager.

In conclusion, I would have welcomed the opportunity of discussing this with you directly on check out and would hope that, should you be planning a future visit to Oxford, you will contact me directly and I will ensure that you have a much improve visit.

Kind regards
Iain Waite GM

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Good location on High Street, easy to find. Warm and gracious welcome and quick check-in.
The little lobby and the bar are nice, well decorated and the efficient aircon was helpful by the heatwave wich affected us these days.
Once in the room however, I was somewhat disappointed because of the general condition: old and stained carpet, furniture a bit faded and bathroom not at the top of modernity. In particular the very low water pressure ( for reasons of economy ? ).
The air conditionning system was also not so efficient but just adequate when fixed to the maximum setting.
It should be mentionned that the room was clean.
Some reviews mention a too soft bed, but I slept very well, in a great silence. Maybe were the guests especially considerate during my stay because the soundproofing seems not to be the best. Good to know, my room was facing the parking, not the Merton street.
Will I stay again in this hotel ? Maybe, if I have to, and I'm not sure that I will find a better hotel for that price in the heart of Oxford.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear EthansGeneva

Thank for your comments relating to your stay, submitted via Trip Advisor.
I was disappointed to read of your disappointment in relation to the state and age of the carpeting and furnishings in your bedroom. We have an ongoing refurbishment programme which is addressing the aforementioned. The maintenance team will investigate the issue with the water pressure, however I can assure you that the low pressure you experienced is not a result of economy measures.

On a positive note I was very pleased that you found other facilities to you satisfaction and that you found the team warm and gracious.

As you indicate our pricing is very competitive in the Oxford market and I do hope that you will return to stay with us in the near future.

Iain Waite GM

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We sadly had only a night in this charming town. The hotel was attractive, comfortable and nice for a more elegant stay. The room was a bit expensive in our opinion (169 pounds) but was well appointed and comfortable. We had a quiet room overlooking the carpark and the reception staff were well mannered and helpful.

The only negatives were that there were no lifts to our part of the hotel and I had to carry two heavy suitcases up several flights of stairs. Secondly and very annoyingly, we got a knock on the door at 0800 from housekeeping. I opened the door and the lady asked when we were leaving!! I said checkout wasn't until 12 pm and was extremely annoyed to be disturbed so earlier. Alas it got even worse when just 30 minutes later while I was in the shower, my fiancee was walked in on by a second cleaning lady who knocked once and then opened the door. I was extremely angry about this and in 32 countries and hundreds of hotels have never had this happen. I suggest some training of the housekeeping staff is in order. I would have thought that only rooms for which the keys were handed to reception, would be cleaned before checkout time. Please address this in future.

Other than that, I recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Lavadevil

Thank you for comments relating to your stay, communicated via Trip advisor.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for the fact that you were disturbed in your accommodation on two occasions. This is unacceptable and I have personally addressed this with the Executive Housekeeper.

As you point out there is no lift provision to the 3rd floor, regrettably building constraints prohibit this, I do hope that this did not inconvenience you to much.

On a positive note I am glad that you found the team well mannered,

Thank you for your positive recommendation

GM