“Good location, gets the job done”

Mercure Eastgate Oxford
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night in October.
Pros:
Great location near the High Street and the University
Helpful staff (the front desk girl actually parked our car for us when we had apprehensions about getting our somewhat large rental car through the car park entrance!)
Good breakfast for 8 pounds
Cons:
TV was difficult to work
Room was small, although for one night it didn’t matter that much

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cew5x

An Accor traveler
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Reviewed October 31, 2012

A lovely hotel right in the centre of oxford. Conveniently located for all the colleges. The rooms were a little small for 3, but very clean and comfortable. However more staff are needed in reception. The hotel runs a valet carpark service and the poor people on reception are expected to do this too. You really need a full time member of staff doing this job; allocating spaces upon arrival and moving cars around. Parking is £15 per day stay, this sounds a lot but to be honest isn't when you see the lack of parking in oxford. Would stay here again though.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Excellent location, right in the heart of 'old' oxford within easy walking distance of the key attractions. The lobby and bar are attractive and give a very good first impression, but the reception staff were, quite frankly, a bit snooty. A colleague stayed on the first floor and said her room was great. Our room was a twin at the ground floor with views over the car park, and was very tired and in need of a refurb. The electricity switched off in the night and when I reported it on checkout, I was chastised for not having reported it sooner!

Fine for business but I would have been disappointed if I had paid these rates for a leisure stay. It is a shame as with a relatively small effort, this could be a great hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Small and pokey rooms that were a bit dirty around the edges. Small and uncomfortable beds that left me with a sore back. Not worth the £135 i paid and that didn't even include breakfast. Not value for money. Only positive that it is a good location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerOxford, Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for sparing the time to complete a review. I am sorry the single room booked did not meet your expectations, we do try to accurately describe our smaller rooms as cosy though, we do have larger rooms which command a higher rate. We believe we campare favourably with the other city centre hotel on price.The hotel generally scores highly for cleanliness of bedrooms, 98.6% in the latest un-announced AA bedroom audit but we shall correct this lapse.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I spent at this hotel 2 days and everything, from the rooms to the breakfast, was utterly unimpeachable. However, I had a pretty bad experience which makes me feel not coming back ever again. The lady from the Reception (I only know her first name, Carmen), who was always bothered and irritated towards me, did not pay attention to my voucher at the check-in and I found myself nearly thrown out of my room, because she thought I only had 1 night paid. In front of the room there were already new customers who did not know what to do. Luckily, my agency was able to send an email and to find a solution to this situation. I personally believe that unless some measures are being taken, the hotel will have to suffer, despite its great services.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Anca M
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Anca M

Thank you for completing a review and while pleased that the services provided were unimpeachable, I was disappointed that my staff came across as uncaring. I assure you we will take steps to correct this.
Sincerely