“BIRTHDAY BREAK”

Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
A TripAdvisor Member
“BIRTHDAY BREAK”
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Had a really good weekend break in Oxford at the Mercure. Found the hotel very good, in service, quality of breakfast, friendliness and location. Room a little dark and small but clean, warm and well equipped. I would say that the Mercure is a good hotel just a little over
priced !!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Eastgate Oxford, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Dear Guest

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Eastgate when the opportunity arises.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Lyndsay
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The hotel was distinctly average. I stayed in a single room with an early bird discount rate of £75 per night and stayed for 2 nights.

The positives are: nice lobby, helpful reception staff, will look after you're luggage after check-in, nice big bathroom, clean enough and safe. Central location.

The negatives are: small pokey room with slightly odd smell (reminded me of university student residences), above bed lamp didn't work but was swiftly fixed, big gap under door and thin walls meaning lots of noise exposure from corridor, very uncomfortable saggy mattress (almost like sleeping in a hammock) leading to very poor night's sleep each night, overpriced breakfast (£16) with very slow staff (go outside onto high street to one of the patisseries instead). On check-out I was also overcharged for breakfast and was nearly charged the room rate again when I had already paid it in advance. They didn't seem to be aware of this.

Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank LyndsayF
Dear Guest,

I am disappointed that you had mixed emotions following your stay with us.
On the one hand, I am pleased you found the staff helpful and friendly and yet you found the single room accommodation too small for your needs. We do have a variety of bedrooms that all vary in size and rate.
We have noted your comments regarding the softness of the bed and no doubt this will be attended as we continue replacing our bedstock on a rolling basis.
I apologise for any confusion arising at the time of your check out but pleased to know that it was rectified prior to your departure.
I am sorry that you choose not to stay with us again as I would have liked the opportunity to redeem our reputation in your eyes.

Fond Regards
Jock in Brum
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We had booked a deluxe double room at The Buttery but they emailed us the night before to say that "due to unforseen circumstances" they were bumping us to a room here at the Mercure. Initially, we were a little put out as it was moving us further away from the event we attended in Jericho, but our fears were soon laid to rest as this was clearly an upgrade to a decent hotel. And they had paid for our breakfast too!

Check in was swift and efficient. The room (217) was lovely, spacious and well laid out, with a mega comfortable bed.

Oddly, the mini bar was empty - you have to request one of their pre set "packages" and pay up front... hmmmm... bizzare. For me this system defeats the purpose of the concept of having some drinks (usually expensive ones) available when you fancy one. Call me spontanious, but the Mercure's system fails to capitalise on that "lets share a glass of wine and a bubble bath" moment. Indeed, we got in around 1am with a nightcap in mind and finding the bar closed, would certainly have raided the mini bar had it been available.

After a goodnight's sleep we came down for breakfast, expecting a tasty, relaxing start to Sunday.

Positives:
The waitress had a lovely smile
The room is airy, light and well laid out.

Negatives:
We ordered a rack of mixed (brown and white) toast, a pot of tea and a hot chocolate. The tea was weak and tastless and the chocolate was nasty, tasing of artificial sweeteners and little else. The toast never came. I asked for the chocolate to be swapped for an esspresso and got a fine cup of coffee (phew). Still no toast.

The "Eggs Benedict" was ok, except it was one egg not two and the sauce tasted like bought in not home made. The portion of smoked haddock was tasty but tiny (the last three inches of the tail) . Still no toast.

Eventually, I got up and went to the counter to ask for our toast. When it came it was cold, chewy and there was no brown bread (run out) and no butter (they forgot). We had to wait while the waitress wrestled the wraper from some butter and cut us a chunk.

No one came to clear the table, to check if everything was ok, or to offer us a top up on the hot drinks.

Once more, I approached the counter asking for the plates to be cleared and a cup of coffee to enjoy with my newspaper and cold white toast. I was then presented with a cup of esspresso so full to the brim that when I was trying to wrestle the top off a mini jam pot it got knocked all over the table. No one came to help me mop it up, infact not one of the staff noticed I was in a pickle - there were only three occupied tables in the place and the staff weren't over stretched, they just lacked any interested in the customers needs or experience.

It was a great shame that the breakfast failed to live up to the promise of the room and spoiled our stay. On check out, I explained the situation and the young woman assured us that she would mention it to the management. I hope she did.

Dear Guest,

I am very sorry to hear of our short comings at breakfast service and apologise for any upset or inconvenience caused.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments with you and come to an amicable resolution. Please contact us on h6668@accor.com.

Kind regards
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed overnight at this is fabulous hotel after seeing Will Young in concert at the New Theatre (Oxford Apollo as was!). On the High Street - yet with the entrance tucked away down a side street, the hotel is right in the centre of town and convenient for many of Oxford's attractions. Our room was wonderfully quiet and relaxing, sympathetically achieved by a great marriage of the modern with the traditional. The bed was one of best I've slept in and the room lacked for nothing - and included all of those little extras that make such a difference in creating an air of luxury and something so often missing today. Nothing was too much trouble for an attentive and helpful front desk staff. Well done. Our first visit to a Mercure and wish it had been for longer. Worth a trip to Oxford just to stay there. Already planning to return when we go to see Matt Cardle.

We booked a little in advance on line, secured a superior room and achieved a considerable saving on the normal room rate - the icing on the cake! With the actual hotel entrance slightly off the High Street address - we walk passed the hotel twice without even realising that it was there, adding to the experience as the adjacent buildings are worth a look in themselves. See attached photo showing the view from some of the hotel bedrooms.

Room Tip: Rooms over the side road entrance have a great view - see photo.
1 Thank David L
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review following your stay at the Mercure Eastgate Townhouse.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you r kind comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Best Wishes
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stay for business for a full week, I felt the hotel really met my needs. The room was very nice, staff pleasent an all around good experience.

The only trouble I had was getting a Taxi from this location where I was charged double £18.20 for a trip that should in heavy traffic have cost £9.00. Having stayed in other hotels in Oxford I found that Taxis ordered to this hotel overcharged.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Chichester
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Mercure Eastgate Oxford for a couple of days for a short leisure trip in the city. I expected high standards considering the relatively expensive room rates (though such are common in Oxford) but it was the little details that really made our trip special.

Upon arrival, we found the hotel to be in a brilliant location, just off the High Street- near the Botanical Gardens and the wonderful Magdalen College. The car park was rather difficult to manoeuvre into, and I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on taking the car out often; due to the valet service offered by the hotel, you are required to give your keys into Reception, meaning that every time you want to use your car you have to ask Reception beforehand. It doesn't take long, but after several times it could become a bit annoying. In our case, we left the car in the car park for the duration of our trip, so it wasn't a hassle at all. Also, do remember that leaving a car with the hotel costs £14 per night on top of your room rate.

Due to the unclear website, we'd booked a "twin/double" room, meaning that as we hadn't specified (though at no point on the website does it ask for such a specification) we had been allocated a double room, even though we had in fact needed a twin. Thankfully, the receptionist was incredibly helpful and sought a solution from the manager immediately. We ended up in a double room with an extra fold-up bed- this solution doesn't sound particularly glamorous, but the fold-up bed was a fold-up bed to end ALL fold-up beds in terms of its comfort, and the room was something to behold, one of the largest rooms of the hotel and with utterly stunning views of the Examination Buildings opposite! The hotel more than made up for this mishap.

As aforementioned, the room was large and spacious, though it being on the top floor the ceiling was rather low at points; this didn't bother my mother or myself much, neither of us being particularly tall, but it's something to take into consideration if you are a bit less vertically challenged. The bathroom was also large and clean, and everything was finished to a top standard. Our only complaint in terms of the room was that the heating seemed to be eternally on (particularly in the bathroom) so we resorted to cracking open the windows, not wanting to use the air conditioning to counteract this.

Also, it become very apparent to us by looking at the fire escape floor plan that we had by far the largest room on the floor, and that all of the rooms varied massively in their dimensions. If you don't mind having a smaller (but still well-formed) room then this shouldn't be a problem, but be aware that the photos on the website do represent the larger rooms, such as the one we stayed in.

Breakfast was delicious and in lovely surroundings. I thoroughly recommend the eggs benedict, and the fry-up was perfect, especially for those of us who do not like piles of food but instead prefer smaller, but well-formed, portion sizes. The range of food was such that even the pickiest of eaters would probably find something to their taste. I would also recommend the porridge on a cold winter morning!

The staff were the highlight of our trip. Friendly and always willing to help, they went the extra mile to make sure that everything was as we had expected (or better) and that we were well looked after. Nothing was too small for them.

The reason I haven't given this hotel five out of five, however, is mainly because they do rather like to add the costs to your bill at the end of your stay...Aside from the very expensive parking, breakfast is £16.50 per person per day if you haven't prepaid it, which I would consider a lot for a dinner, let alone for a nibble first thing in the morning. Wifi was also extortionate at £9 for 3 hours, for example- if you have an iPhone, I found I was able to connect to the internet without using their Wifi, and it was relatively fast, perfect for me to check through a few emails without paying such a huge amount.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to those staying in Oxford for a few nights, be it for business or leisure. A longer trip might mean you find this hotel a bit claustrophobic, and it is very much in the centre of Oxford, along with all of the hustle and bustle of city life, so don't expect a peaceful, quiet getaway. For a little holiday and a chance to explore the city, however, it is perfect, and if you (like myself) find your day easily brightened by polite staff, you'll have a permanent smile on your face if you choose to stay here.

Room Tip: If possible, go for rooms on the same side as the entrance- they have the best view! Beware of low c...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank llacerta
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind review of the Mercure Eastgate Townhouse.
Delighted you found the accommodation both comfortable and spacious and that my team resolved to the sleeping arrangements in your bedroom without delay.
Car parking is scarce in the Oxford city centre and the demand great so we make a charge considerably less than the public car parks.

We do hope you choose the Mercure Eastgate Townhouse on your next visit to Oxford.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Newish "Town" hotel fitted into old building well, in spite of different levels and room sizes. Excellent restaurant ("High Table") and exceptional value for the early set menu available 6.00-7.00pm; we had a very good dinner and breakfast was also good. Very good customer service. Only complaint was that BBC Radio 3 and 4 not available via the TV in room, though plenty of other TV and radio stations.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review of the Mercure Eastgate Townhouse and the High Table Brasserie and Bar. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive comments.
We will endeavor to explore the possibility of adding your favourite radio stations to our portfolio.