“OK place to stay, but be aware of there is no elevator.”
Review of Royal Oxford Hotel

Royal Oxford Hotel
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Salem, OR
“OK place to stay, but be aware of there is no elevator.”
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour. I don't know what the prices would be if booked by yourself.

This hotel was fine. I would warn people that there is no elevator and no bag handlers so those who have transportation issues would find this hotel difficult as it appeared to have no rooms on the first floor.

The rooms were nice enough. Clean and quiet. We did not face the street so I can't comment on noise one might hear from the street. It is a busy area though. The rooms were typical small European style. There is no air conditioning. If that is important to you, I would not recommend staying here.

The beds were comfortable and we slept well.

The hotel is in an ok area but is off the beaten path a bit. It is however, located right near the train station which could be appealing if traveling by train. There are some places to eat around the hotel and the hotel itself has a restaurant. We did not eat there except for breakfast.

Breakfast was included with our package and was tasty. You could choose the hot breakfast cooked for you or the cold breakfast bar. Food was good and plentiful if not a large variety.

Overall I would say this was a reasonable hotel but nothing outstanding. I would probably look for a hotel a bit closer to the tourist area if I were to stay in Oxford again.

• Disliked — No elevator
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank anotherlife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Nottingham
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Just come back from staying at this hotel for 1 night on a Saturday and had a very pleasant experience. Good, clean, modern rooms with air conditioning and the room had a new powerful shower which was perfect (maybe this was standard throughout?) . I've read all the reviews, the good and not so good and in my opinion this hotel is up there with some of the best ones I've stayed at. I was on the first floor and heard no noise from the bar on ground floor and the only minor points I can think of with this hotel is the lack of parking due to it's central location. The hotel has 3 spaces currently which it rents out to guest for £10 per night per space. I hired one of these which I found very convenient and a safe place to leave your car. The other thing is the price of the breakfast in the morning which I think was £11 each. I went for breakfast in a restaurant nearby as this hotel is so central, but if they made it a bit cheaper I would have been happy to eat at the hotel. On the whole I'd be more than happy to stay there again.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank TheMuppetshow
Wirral
Reviewed May 29, 2007

close to oxford high street and plenty of eating places locally including a quality grill bar within the hotel. Rooms were spotless and as requested, our room was quiet - but without a view (i'd rather that than the traffic). Breakfast let the hotel down. plenty on the plate and a good choice but not very hot. we wrote this in our feedback and i hope they try to improve it.
where ever you stay in Oxford, try a meal at 'Big Bang' - it's a very popular bangers & mash (only) restaurant

Stayed May 2007
UK
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I stayed in this hotel twice over a 1 month period. The first room i had was unbearably hot and had a very clunky pipe in it. Other than that the room was fine and spacious. The second room again was very warm, but its outlook on to the main road made opening the window impossible if we wanted peace! Neither room gave us the 'luxury' the hotel website promises.

The location of the hotel is excellent if, like us, being close to the station is a priority, otherwise I'm sure better hotels would be available in the price range.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank trinaberry
Manageress31, Manager at Royal Oxford Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2007
Thank you for the comments and I would like to offer the following feedback.
Having checked with the Front of House and the Housekeeping departments if any complaints were received in the past few weeks regarding a room being too hot, I have been informed that there wasn't any. Furthermore, if only the customer had mentioned that the room was too hot to any of the hotel's employee, we would have had the chance to politely point out that there is air-conditioning available in every hotel bedroom, which very effectively cools the rooms down. The air-conditioning units are clearly visible above the windows and the remote controls are positioned conveniently above the writing desk with simple instructions on how to operate the system.

It is our standard procedure to ask every guest at the check out about the satisfaction of her/his stay and again there are no records of a guest complaining about a room being too hot or that a pipe was clunky. The only explanation to the noise in the pipes would be a low water pressure, which we now monitor.
Opole
Reviewed April 25, 2007

Very polite and welcoming receptionist. I thought that the room was outstanding it terms of its size as you can't get anything like this in London for this kind of price. So next time I come to England I might stay in Oxford instead of London.

Stayed March 2007