All reviews no lift train station biscuits korean restaurant complimentary fruit said business school bottled water city centre street noise five minute walk convenient location air con beds were very comfortable large bathroom double glazing decent hotel good size
Selected filters
Reviewed April 9, 2019

Initial impressions were not good - the large tarpaulin sign over the front of the usual reception entrance saying the temporary reception was round the corner took away from the grandeur of the building. I'd paid over £180 for a twin room for one night so expectations were high.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful and we were shown to the room. The room itself was a little tatty and very warm. The air conditioning looked old and didn't work effectively - I turned off the radiators but the room remained too warm for the whole stay.
The hotel is right next to the station and a short walk into Oxford - so no complaints about location.
Following an afternoon of pottering about Oxford we returned to the room and I decided to run a bath. The hot water tap was working but not the cold water tap. I had to put the shower in the bath and run cold water out of the shower - which was walking - quite the palaver.
Additionally to all that there was a large stain in the blanket on the bed which was a little off putting.
I mentioned all these problems on check-out without anyone looking too shocked and emailed the hotel prior to writing this review to give them the chance to sort things out with me but all I've heard is that "the maintenance team have fixed my issue" - I'm not sure which of the issues this was.
All in all I'm disappointed and wouldn't recommend the hotel unless you're stuck for somewhere to stay and need to be near the centre of Oxford or the station.
I should add - on a positive point - that breakfast was good and the waitress was really helpful and friendly.

Date of stay: April 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Boss75, General Manager at Royal Oxford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2019

Dear Sir/Madam

This is unfortunate that you didn't enjoy your stay with us, however, I am sure that my team would have rectified the issues mentioned in your review if they were pointed out during your stay and not at check out. Our air-conditioning system is 10 years old and maintained on regular basis. It can cool a room down to 18C, however, if this is still too hot, opening windows can help with cooling a room even more. With regards to no cold water running from the bath tap, that was rectified same day of your check out. Unfortunately, things do break occasionally especially with heavy usage, and on this occasion the washer had to be replaced. The housekeeper who prepared your room should have noticed the stain on the bed throw and I apologies for it.

I am pleased that you have enjoyed the reception and waiting staff service.

Yours faithfully
Marzena James

Reviewed April 3, 2019 via mobile

Stayed for one night recently. Easy to find although the fact it doesn’t have a car park adds considerable expense if you can’t find a parking space locally. There is a large car park almost next door but prices there are through the roof (cost is £20 for 24 hours).
The hotel is looking a little tired and the whole of the lower level is empty and looks like it’s in need of some TLC or major redevelopment. The room was small (it was a double) but the bed was comfortable and staff were very friendly. Breakfast was included in our room rate and it was cooked fresh (always better than the buffet options so often found in hotels). Would stay again if visiting Oxford.

Date of stay: April 2019
Reviewed March 17, 2019

It has an excellent location. It is near the Oxford university, oxford City center, and Central bus station. The River can be seen near this hotel.
The room was clean and quite and contain all the facilitates. The room temperature was very good and there is also contain an air conditioner. The bed was comfortable.

Room tip: The hotel easily accessible. It is located in a vital area in Oxford.
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank ayatsakr
Reviewed February 28, 2019

I needed to spend one night in Oxford, to leave by train the next morning. The hotel is perfectly placed close enough to the railway station, but still convenient for the city. The room was clean and refurbished pretty well, which can be difficult in a old (and probably listed) building, the bed was comfortable and heating more than adequate. It appears that the majority of the old hotel has been sold-off and now only consists of the area on the right of the photograph, with the new entrance around the corner and not at the front of the building. Inside, due the the construction there are a lot of fire doors to get through with luggage in relatively small corridors which is not ideal, but it is safe and fully adequate. The front desk people were all very helpful and friendly, they made that extra effort that made me thankful I had book into this particular hotel. The breakfast was cooked just for me, rather than helping myself from a pot of food kept warm for a long time - so this was more like a bed&breakfast, and very good it was too. The nearby Jam Factory pub has excellent beer and food and good atmosphere. The hotel is on the edge of Oxford city centre, so everywhere of interest is within easy walking distance.

Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed February 17, 2019 via mobile

Staff very friendly efficient and helpful especially on check in. Location v central.
Room very nice and we appreciated extras such as fruit. Extra comfy bed and pillows. Everything we needed but just a couple of niggles. Shower worked fine in the evening but no hot water & faulty shower in the morning. Quick strip wash but we were rushing to leave so a bit frustrating especially as we paid £165 for one night. Curtains falling off at the top which looked a bit scruffy. Noisy at night from outside but that isn’t the hotel’s fault...double glazing maybe could be better? All in all, we have stayed in better hotels with breakfast for less than half this price but it wasn’t a bad experience. Just a little underwhelming. Sorry!

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple