“Near Train Station”

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Near Train Station”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I selected this hotel because of its proximity to rental car return locations and the railway station. When I enquired about parking options, I received a detailed sheet with various options from the receptionist. This was very helpful. We parked at the Seacourt Park & Ride on the way into Oxford. It cost 2 Pounds/24 hours. The P&R bus took us straight to the hotel, about a 7 minute ride. I had asked for a quiet room and received on at the back so the street noise was never an issue. There is no elevator. The receptionist did offer to help with luggage but we didn't take her up on it as we were on the 1st floor and could easily manage ourselves. The twin room was clean and the beds comfortable. The bathroom was clean. The airconditioner only seemed to work for about 10 minutes before switching off so we did get very hot during the night. There was a small cupboard with hangers and shelves. A small table held a kettle and tea & coffee supplies, along with biscuits. The room was small but manageable for just two nights. We paid for breakfast at the time of booking - 11 Pounds each. In addition to a full English breakfast there was yogurt, fruit, cereal and some basic pastries. The full English breakfast was served on a piping hot griddle which made it far too hot to eat until it cooled down. It was also very greasy. I don't think the breakfast was worth the price and would not buy it again. You can get a cheaper, healthier option at any cafe in town. It was an easy walk into the centre of the city. I returned to the P&R the following day and returned the car to the rental location. It was an easy walk back to the hotel (15 minutes). The following day we left from the station, an easy 5 minute walk with luggage.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back to avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The hotel is really nice and the staff is helpfull. The only thing which is not so great is that there is no lift in the hotel so you have to use the stairs. Well the location is good, Oxford is a small town so basically everything is in foot walking distance. I can recommend this hotel. The price was ok, not cheap but not to expensive either

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RichieQ0203
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I would have rated this hotel 3 stars, it isn't really a hotel as such there is no room service and no amenities. Also, if you have difficulty with stairs it should be pointed out that there is no lift. The location of the hotel is excellent, the rooms are clean and acceptable enough. I will just cut and paste our email sent to the manager as to why it was all let down on checkout and you can draw from it what you will:

Dear Mrs James

Re: complaint

I wish to complain about a number of issues which I hope you will be able to deal with:

1. Charge for breakfast

We went to check out this morning and were informed that we owed £44 for breakfast. I queried this given I thought I had booked bed and breakfast although was told not. When I asked how much it was per person per breakfast I was told £11. The issue is that neither my husband or I were reminded we didn't have breakfast included, we were never told the cost and it's not written on the vouchers. Because the vouchers didn't have a price on them it reinforced my belief that we had already paid for it in the price of the room. As I am sure you are aware it is illegal to charge for a service/product when the consumer is not informed of this.

2. Customer service

During the discussion surrounding this, the receptionists customer service was appalling. The lady with dark hair proceeded to argue, raise her voice and demand payment. She called me and my husband liars, stating she told us how much breakfast was when we checked in. The lady was verbally aggressive, argumentative and completely unprofessional. We have never been treated like this before so were completely taken aback.

My response was that neither of us were told this because actually the breakfast was below par at best and we only ate there because we thought we had paid for it. The receptionist however was not willing to accept this.

They did however accept that the cost was not written on the vouchers (which reinforced my understanding that it was included).

I wanted to speak with the owner/manager but was told she would not contact you. I was completely taken aback by this given the various communication methods we have and you claim to be a hotel. When I asked who deputised for you she said no one. You are meant to be running a hotel and I fail to understand how it was not possible to speak with you.

I suggested we defer payment until the issue was resolved, given I had already paid for the rooms and you have my card details. However payment was demanded so I did pay.

On reflection I should have refused and demanded the police be called because when it comes to the offence of theft v consumer law actually the police would have dismissed the claim for payment.

I also note that another customer was checking out at the same time and also querying their bill.

Resolution:

I feel that the issue of breakfast can only be satisfactorily resolved by a full refund. If not I will pursue this. The issue regarding the appalling attitude of your staff and not being able to contact you - I hope is a training issue and not a reflection of how you run your business.

I was told that you will be in at 9am tomorrow. I look forward to hearing from you first thing on the morning.

Regards

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julian C
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel has improved a lot over the last seven years we have been going there. The lady receptionists on arrival could not be more helpful. The night receptionist were excellent. The room clean and adequate. Our night was spoiled by other guests being noisy in the early morning when they shouted outside the room. Breakfast was superb.Shame no lift. Great location near to station.

Room Tip: Check water runs in bath. Make sure quiet room if that's what you like. If not fit try for room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Susan L
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Wonderful stay while visiting our daughter at Oxford University. Service was excellent, room was clean and comfortable. Location is convenient to the city center, a fairly easy walk from/to bus station with luggage. Pedestrian and traffic noise in early morning.

Room Tip: Small for travelers accustomed to US hotels. Some fixtures and carpet need updating.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Betsy B
London
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Arrived to find my booking had been logged under my husband's name - despite my booking the hotel online in my name! It seems utterly sexist for the hotel to put the paperwork in the name of the man on the reservation - and ignore the female name of the booker. Consequently, it took the receptionist a little time to find our reservation and he appeared to imply that the confusion was because I didn't know what name I had booked under ....er no, it should have been in my name - as per the booking details, the e-mail address, the primary contact details, the booking confirmation....Pretty insulting to be so treated ....
That aside, the staff were friendly and helpful - giving us a useful street map. The hotel accommodated my request for a quiet room as the hotel is situated on a corner with roads on 3 sides, so potentially could have been pretty noisy. However, our room had double glazing and the hotel is very conveniently situated, just a couple of minutes from both the station and the main shopping area and perfect for the New theatre (our reason for being in Oxford.)
The room (215) was clean and modern - with complimentary toiletries, fruit, tea & water etc. The only problem was that the bedside furniture was slightly too big for the room and partially obstructed both the access to the bathroom and made the access to the bath a little difficult - one didn't need to be too wide! Smaller bedside tables and a smaller sink unit (to replace the existing one which had the basin set into an inexplicably large wooden unit) would have made all the difference as would a little more cleaning to remove the black mould on the bathroom grouting...
Nice to have both a radiator and air conditioning unit though, to get the room temperature just right....but no lift - although the receptionist carried our suitcase to our room...

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - as long as you don't mind a long walk down a hotel corridor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Couple_of_Londoners
Caldicot, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Very nice little hotel. Clean and tidy very pleasant and helpful staff. Easy walking distance to the town centre. Very comfortable beds. Water provided in the room free of charge! there are lots of good hotels that don't provide drinking water, so top marks for that. Complimentary fruit too. Excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple