“A quaint hotel with a great restaurant”

Hawkwell House Hotel
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business as I could not get into my usual one, and I will be staying here from now on. It is a beautiful hotel which has be tasteful decorated and has a great restaurant in the hotel which serves great food. The room in the main building had been updated with a modern twist which really worked. The bed was comfortable and really enjoyed the small touches in the bathroom, such as the bio degradable packaging of the shampoo and shower gel.

Room Tip: If you like the look of a modern room stay in the main building where the restaurant is.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed following a wedding nearby. Despite another wedding taking place at the hotel that night, we heard no noise and had a lovely dual aspect room, very spacious and nicely furnished. Bed had memory foam mattress and was very comfy and the room was very spacious! Breakfast was lovely and staff were very flexible if you wanted to change things on their cooked breakfast (despite them showing set items for each one on the menu - hot food isn't a help yourself buffet). I'd stay here again if I needed to be in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just wanted to say how much we enjoyed our 3 night stay at this hotel. The staff were friendly, helpful and most professional. They couldn't do enough to help. This was true of the breakfast staff, the receptionists, the bedroom staff and restaurant staff. Thank you for helping to make an 'older' persons birthday even better!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LIZLAT L
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed for two nights celebrating my wife Glenys birthday in February 2013. The weather was freeezing but the welcome and service we received here was very warm. From the start we were made to feel welcome although it was a bit of a shock when we found that we were in the annexe building. Having said that the accommodation was excellent and it was only a short walk to the main part of the hotel which contained the restaurant. Food here was excellent, as good as many non hotel resaurants we have eaten in. The bar also had a choice of two local bottled beers which was a pleasant surprise. Oxford is lovely but a nightmare to drive in. The local bus service was cheap and regular making this hotel worth stopping at. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ninetyseven
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at the Hawkwell for a friend's wedding on the 6th April.

Despite usual check-in being at 2.00pm the receptionist let us have our room at midday, which was great. We were put in Elms House, a smaller house behind the hotel, which was a bit annoying, as we'd booked well in advance. However, the room at Elms House (401) was a good size and had an interesting split-level arrangement. The room is on the ground floor next to the front door, but we heard no noise, so all was fine.

In the day I ordered a sandwich and some drinks for lunch. The barman wasn't exactly rude, but he hardly went out of his way to be friendly and polite either. This was replicated by nearly all the bar staff later that evening. (I should point out that all the reception staff were, without exception, friendly, efficient and polite).

The drinks at the bar were quite expensive. However, for such a small bar, there was an excellent range of drinks.

The food enjoyed at the wedding reception was delicious. There was a great soup to start and a brilliantly-cooked roast beef. This was especially impressive given the numbers that were being catered for.

In the morning breakfast was a buffet-style and taken in the same room we'd had the wedding reception. I can understand the motivation for this, although I don't think I would've chosen to eat there in the morning. The quality and range of food at breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: I'd request to not have the Elms House.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for our tenth wedding anniversary. We booked the suite which was a beautiful room, very pleased with it. Clean and warm when weather was chilly.

The only issue was the delay in getting our food on two occasions in the hotel restaurant. The food bill was deducted by the manager.

Overall, lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Book the suite, not much more expensive.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmandaG747
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and the quality of the room and surroundings was reasonable, despite the hotel renovations that were being carried out during my stay. Staff were friendly and helpful, especially so in the restaurant when I had to send my dinner back to the kitchen. The menu is quite limited and fairly pricey too. Had it not been so cold I would have eaten elsewhere on the second night so had to choose something from the bar menu instead, which wasn't too good either. The gentleman at the next table sent back his chicken dish too, whilst I was sat in the restaurant.
The best aspect of my stay was the room itself; good size with a sofa etc. I don't understand that as a guest I can be trusted with a flat screen TV, Ipod dock, kettle etc but they feel the need to nail down the (fairly pathetic) hairdrier in a drawer with just a short amount of cable....
Also, the shower in my room was painful.... every 15 to 20 seconds I was blasted with scalding blast of super-heated water which was rather painful indeed..... would I choose to stay here again? probably not... I have stayed at much nicer and quite frankly cheaper hotels in the Oxford area.

Room Tip: pot luck until renovations are complete... I would ask for a quiet one!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business