“Quiet village charmer”

Hawkwell House Hotel
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Newly refurbed rooms, clean, quiet, nice staff. Good location. Only a poorly-handled mixup over taxis spoilt the picture. Excellent alternative to staying in the centre of town - but then you do need that cab!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank TangoEcho
Write a ReviewReviews (1,070)

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a two night stay here recently for business. Staff was very friendly, so high marks for that! Another couple was in my room when I walked into it, so a little sloppy performance from the front desk, but everyone was very friendly about it.

The furniture and carpets in my room were a little worn. Shower stall door was off the track and fell in on me. There was a patched hole in the wall that wasn't painted. Nothing majorly wrong with the hotel, just needs a little more upkeep to take advantage of it charm.

And it is charming. Buildings and ground were very nice and I think it would be a nice place to stay as a couple on a weekend, as long as you aren't terribly picky. But it didn't do it for me as a business hotel.

Wi-Fi speeds were OK (and free!). Hotel isn't hard to get to or find, but it isn't easy either. Off the beaten path, which gives it a nice quiet atmosphere, but if you need to be "in the middle of things" on a limited schedule, this probably isn't a good location for you.

I would consider a short, personal stay here if I were visiting Oxford again with my SO. Otherwise, I don't think I would use it again for business

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms are in different, unconnected buildings, which may require you to walk outs...
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Very spacious, well equipped and tastefully decorated room; divinely comfortable bed; lovely villagey area of Oxford not near the centre, but close to the pretty Iffley Lock on the Thames. Decent food with excellent and friendly service. Great value! Very happy to have found this hotel; I'll definitely be coming again.

1  Thank westcountrywalker
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Hawkwell House a number of times over the last few years and have found that it has improved consistently as time has gone on. Rooms have been renovated and many other improvements have been made to the hotel. All members of staff are polite, friendly and efficient. Their answer to any request is 'yes of course'. There is a lovely choice for breakfast. Hawkwell is situated in Iffley Village which is out of the city centre but on a direct bus route, so it provides a quiet place to stay but easy access to the city when needed.
The hotel does get very busy at weekends, especially when there is a wedding on, but anyone preferring a quieter room can request a room in Elm House, which is away from the main building.

Room Tip: Elm House is even quieter than the main building but is up a steepish drive and there is no lift.
1  Thank jube15
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stopped here on business as it's close to our new HQ building. Very friendly staff and good food with a very large room, comfortable firm latex foam bed and spacious modern bathroom. Good WiFi that was suitable for streaming media. I have already recommended this hotel to colleagues staying on business. i had the rib eye steak which was very good quality and really nicely cooked.

This hotel ticks all the boxes for me.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Thanks again Trip Advisor. My wife and I were going to Oxford for one night. We would have stayed in City Centre (Mercure) , but all those hotels were booked or outrageously expensive. So, thanks to trip advisor, we ended up at Hawkwell House and delighted that we did. Tremendous huge room, beautifully decorated, wonderful bathroom, with freestanding bath positioned to look at stars, and probably the best beds we have exver experienced- (either equivalent or better than the Marriot). They were so good I had to take the sheets off to look at the mattress and discovered genuine Tempura original mattresses. This was the one drawback of the stay- it will be a pretty expensive overall trip, if we now have to shell out £2000 to buy those mattresses for our beds at home!! BTW breakfast was delicious and the service was outstanding.

1  Thank Bryn D
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for a two night break which was very good value. The room was a good size, bathroom modern and the bed had an extremely comfortable memory foam mattress. The food was delicious and staff very friendly. Our bedroom was really cold on the first night and we discovered that the heater was not working properly; the duty manager sent up a very efficient electric heater. This unfortunately disappeared the next day but the heating seemed to be working, but I was not as "toasty" as I would have wished. We also enquired about the lack of hot water; it appears you have to run the hot tap for a long, long time before any hot water comes through. I also though the hotel was a little mean with the toiletries, we only had one small tube of shower gel, shampoo and liquid soap for the two days - as the tubes were not see through you don't know whether you have enough left for the next shower! We did ask for some more soap and shampoo but they never appeared.
The hotel is well positioned and if you're up for it, the 2 mile walk into the city along the river is well worth the time. I would stay at the Hawkwell House Hotel but perhaps when it's warmer, and I would take my own toiletries!

1  Thank casaunders