“brilliant place to stay”

Hawkwell House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Heswall, United Kingdom
“brilliant place to stay”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

stayed here in November 2011 with four friends. we had beautiful clean and modern rooms in the main building. Excellent staff, superb food. Hotel is very convenient for access to oxford and with a walk along the river into the city as an alternative to using your own transport.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lesley1944

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Polish first
Dortmund, Germany
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights but did not find much to enjoy. Check in was moderate friendly. A warm welcome looks different. 1st Impression of the Family Room was good, but a closer look brought up the main problem of this hotel: Everything is run down and far from beeing clean.
Luckily the bugs in the Bath Room we all ladybugs and not too disgusting. But the roof of the breakfast room was. The breakfast buffet and the survice was also well below what you expect for these prices.
The best thing of this Hotel are the pictures on its Web Site.

• Stayed November 2011
4 Thank Vopos2010
Hawkwell-Manager, Manager at Hawkwell House Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for the review, your feedback is appreciated. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay. We are investigating the points raised with the relevant departments, this will ensure they are rectified and will not affect future guests. We are generally proud of our levels of cleanliness, and we are sorry that on this occasion we disappointed you.Regarding the problem with ladybirds, we have called out a specialist to look into this further and solve this issue.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Stayed here with family for two nights in July. It was a wonderful small hotel with really good and clean facilities. We were provided with free wifi as well as a wonderful cooked breakfast. We could choose what we wanted from a menu and it would be cooked and brought to our table, as opposed to a generic buffet.

The staff were really good. Not exactly what I'd call friendly, but efficient and always had a smile! Good quality, budget friendly place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Although the rooms are well appointed and the location peaceful and attractive; what ruined my stay was the indifferent attitude of the restaurant - staff both at dinner and afterwards.

Firstly, my evening meal was not worth the £45 I paid; small quantities of a mediocre quality. My main course was haddock and boiled potatoes - the former was so salty as to be virtually inedible, the latter turned out to be potato salad. The quantities were so small I had to order the cheese board for dessert in order to quell my hunger.

A tip had been added (without my agreement) to my bill on departure. I had this removed – not the least because my waiter needed to be reminded to bring me both the water I had asked for, as well as my dessert.

I stayed in a room near the restaurant – and was kept awake until late into the night by the noisy activities of the restaurant staff as they set up for breakfast. Tables being dragged across the floor, clinking cutlery, bangs and loud conversation – all this after 11pm – made sleep a challenge. It seems as though they had forgotten the principal purpose of an hotel.

When I finally nodded off, I was woken twice in the night by what appeared to be loud machinery. I was also woken by the sound of heavy footsteps along the un-carpeted corridor at 4am.

I did give the hotel the opportunity to respond to my complaints … but some 36 hours later I am still waiting on a call from the manager.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write your review. Your comments have been taken on board and will be acted upon accordingly. I understand you have spoken with the general manager, he welcomes your constructive comments and looks forward to providing a relaxing and enjoyable stay next time you are in Oxford.
Leicestershire, England
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I was staying here on my own for business &, having had several disappointing stays at some of the other places I've been to in Oxford, decided to change location. I was very pleased that I did. My room, in the main building, was spacious & spotlessly clean [& I'm quite fussy about this!] The bed was super comfy with a new memory foam matress, though unfortunately let down by thin, seemingly rather old, pillows. There were a few minor issues like this, but overall the room was good & the bathroom modern &, again, very clean. One of the main reasons I liked this hotel, though, was because I felt completely comfortable there as a lone female visitor & that is mainly thanks to the staff. I found them all to be helpful & friendly, and they create a relaxing, welcoming atmosphere. I ate in the bar each evening, whereas usually I'd order room service when I'm away on my own, & even felt inclined to linger over coffee & drinks. The bar food was reasonably priced & both selection & quality were good. Breakfast was fine. Another bonus here is that there is plenty of car parking, & I was able to leave my car there until late on the day I checked out.

This hotel is in a nice location & there is a lovely walk into Oxford along the river. I was going to the Warneford Hospital area & it's a couple of miles from there - a good uphill walk, but I found it much better staying here than some nearer places I've been to & would certainly recommend it. Overall this is a good standard 3* hotel that really isn't far off a 4* in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
London, England
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Since I went to University in Oxford, I have frequently stayed in Oxford for various weddings, graduations and reunions, and found that as it is one of those tourist meccas in no need of repeat custom, and the standard is correspondingly low.
I am therefore pleased to report that Hawkwell House does seem to make an effort to impress. While I can see that some of the public areas in the hotel are in need of a little investment (nothing major, just slightly faded), the room I stayed in was newly refurbished in a neutral, modern style and was surprisingly large. Everything was very clean both in the room and in the public areas. I was staying there for a wedding, which seemed to run very smoothly and in particular the food service was very efficient. I've no idea if the menu was representative of the normal selection on the menu; lamb shank was at any rate very generous and well cooked.

It's not located centrally in Oxford, but is close to the park & ride in South Oxford and taxis are easy to find. It apparently has some sort of partnership with HInksey Golf Course. All in all, it's ideal if you're in Oxford for a specific event and want somewhere comfortable to stay; the slightly corporate feel makes it perhaps less ideal if you're looking for a "destination" hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2011

The restaurant staff are absolutely brilliant. Very good service. The rooms were well laid and of good size. A peaceful location, and a lovely environment.

• Stayed October 2011