3,567 results
All reviewsmorse barashmolean museummolton brown toiletriesconcierge teamdrawing roominspector morseturn down serviceexecutive roombeautiful buildingbreakfast servicecentral locationcar parkingcooked breakfastold buildinglovely roomvisit oxforddoorman
Reviewed November 19, 2017

The Randolf is one of the best hotels in Oxford sometimes appearing in episodes of Inspector Morse and Lewis. We had afternoon tea in the Drawing Room at £29.50 per person which offered enough sandwiches, scones and cakes for three.They include a good ranges of teas to choose from, a selection of sandwiches, two scones with ample cream and jam/lemon curd and 4 cakes each and a miniture strawberry fool (or similar) each. The drawing room is a grand room with oil paintings and a pianist playing a grand piano. There are larger and smaller options one that includes Champagne.

Room Tip: An afternoon tea for two is enough for three so if there are three of you a tea for two plus and extra tea would suffice.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2017

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review. We serve our famous afternoon tea 7 days a week at the hotel in our Drawing Room. We have various options available and should the lounge be full our Acanthus restaurant does cater also. We will be running our festive afternoon shortly in December which again always proves very popular. Pre-booking is advised.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future and thank you once again.

Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

Located in the center of Oxford and just in front the Ashmolean Museum, it was a great pleasure to wake up here. The building has kept its history and we feel it while we walk in the corridors. I took a suite and it was clean, almost perfect. Hotel’s staff is really polite and is here to bring you what you desire, even during the night. Smile is the house policy! I, definitely, love the English touch!

Stayed: November 2017, traveled on business
Manager_Randolph, Front Office Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2017

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us. The Randolph Hotel is 150 years old and is right in the heart of the historic city of Oxford. We have aimed to keep the hotel's original style but ensure all the modern conveniences guests would expect are in place.

I know the team will be most motivated to learn of your feedback and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed November 18, 2017

The location is absolutely perfect, in front of the Ashmoleam Museum and at a stone's throw from all places of interest in this area. The building itself is very old and a landmark in town. The whole hotel has been - and maybe still is - under complete refurbishment and when we stayed there, works were in progress. We stayed in a newly refurbished feature room and it was not bad, even though I wonder why these people are spending so much money in renovating, but at the same time they decide to leave those horrible carpets (I hate carpets, they're so unhygienic) and old creaky floors...It seems that this hotel has not entered the XXI century yet....It is supposed to be a five star hotel, but in my opinion it isn't. It is still too old fashioned and some standards are not acceptable. I do hope lifts have been changed too. They were too slow, too tiny and... not too clean. I can't find any diplomatic words to describe them. Our room was a renovated one and its marble bathroom was very comfortable and clean, boasting even a bidet, that is very unusual for England but very pleasant for me to find, in spite of this, I think that current renovators in this hotel "forgot" that a true and completely modern comfort demands one and only tap for hot and cold water. It's really challenging washing your hands and face using two different taps, then it's your choice whether to freeze or to get burned...
Window frames showed lack of maintainance, because of the flaking paint and many other signs of decay.
The staff at the reception were really kind. Breakfast room was beautiful and food served there was top quality with a wide choice between cold and hot dishes. I had a delicious Full English breakfast. The only thing I didn't like at all was the lady who welcomes you and then gives you a seat at the table: she was a bit grumpy and peevish...that isn't exactly what I consider a "good morning". Younger ladies waiting tables were more helpful and sometimes they remembered to smile.
The hotel also provides valuable valet parking.

Room Tip: Recently renovated rooms at a high floor.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Pigrissima

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review. I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. We strive to offer the highest levels of service and comfort to all our guests.

We have refurbished all our bedrooms in the last 2 years and will be having further public area work carried out in the New Year. We have a new bar at the hotel as well as restaurant concept. The building is 150 years old and we have a very structured maintenance program in place to ensure all areas are well maintained. We have an in house maintenance team as well to assist should their be any issues.

I do hope you may welcome you back to the hotel in the future and thank you once again.

Reviewed November 17, 2017 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel as a treat, following a hectic few days work, thinking it would be a lovely indulgent night.

Firstly on check in, it took nearly 30 mins to get checked in as there was only 1 member of staff around, then after ringing up to ask about parking, I was told they operated a parking concierge service, and to just park at the front of the hotel.
I did this and then had to wait again for someone to come take the keys from me. On checking in I did have quite a few heavy bags, but at no point was I asked if I would like any help with my luggage.

The room was exceptionally clean, and the bed was lovely and comfortable, however, we had to sleep with the window open all night, as the room was absolutely stifling. Which in November, tells you how warm the room was!

Again, on check out, we were left waiting for the concierge desk, which once the gentleman arrived and went to collect the car, left the desk un attended for another 20 mins or so.

Although the hotel is lovely, it was very expensive, for nothing overly exceptional. I stayed here expecting it to be a really luxurious treat, but left feeling disappointed, having paid a lot of money for nothing spectacular.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank legalmiss86

Thank you for posting a review and I was sorry to learn of the service lapses on arrival and departure. We have a dedicated concierge team to assist all guests with their vehicles and to help with luggage. I will be speaking to the team and ensuring your normal high standards are being offered to all our guests.

At the hotel we operate air conditioning which is currently on winter mode. This is normally very reliable at ensuring the rooms are at the correct temperature. Opening the window does cut the power to the unit as part of our green energy initiative. We have had extensive work carried out on our hotel services and I am sorry the room was not offered at a comfortable temperature.

Please be assured all your comments will be acted upon and I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 15, 2017

There's nothing better than a creamy, alcoholic bevvy when you're feeling a bit merry.One of my best place to have Cocktail by the top notch bar tender.Thanks to Clinton.We will surely come back.Cheers

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments. Clinton is a true asset at the hotel with a great knowledge of cocktails. I will personally make sure he is recognized for his service.

The Morse Bar and indeed Cartoon Bar offer a wide selection of cocktails and drinks to our guests. They are perfect places to unwind after a busy day sightseeing in the city of Oxford.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future. Please be assured of our every attention.