“Lovely accommodation & staff, but breakfast service a let down”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
England
“Lovely accommodation & staff, but breakfast service a let down”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I treated ourselves to a night at the Randolph Hotel as a celebration for our 10 anniversary, choosing a delux room.

Overall we had a fab time and certainly would recommend the hotel for its great location, good accommodation and helpful reception staff & concierges. I happened to mention at checkin the reason for our staff and we came back to find a complementary bottle of champagne in our room chilling in the afternoon.

However the breakfast service did let it down. I appreciate that it was busy however we were twice asked if we had placed an order for the cooked breakfast (we had) and it still took 45 mins for it to arrive, with no apology from the waiter. Not the service I would expect from a hotel the calibre of the Randolph, hence the reason why it's only got a 4 star rating on this occasion.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I was pleased we could be a part of your wedding anniversary celebrations. The hotel is right in the heart of the city and is great place to visit for a weekend to see the beautiful historical buildings.

I was however sorry to learn that the breakfast service was below par. I will be discussing your comments with the team and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We strive to offer the highest levels of care and service and I am sorry that we have failed to live up to this ideal.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Michael Grange

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Absolutely stunning. Great food, lovely room, friendly staff, quick service. Only down side is I feel some things are getting a little old and have a used feel. That said the bed was so comfortable I could have slept forever! What a wonderful experience. Thank you

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us. The hotel is almost 150 years old and is very gothic in its style. We are starting our next phase of refurbishment work soon and thank you for letting me know that you found the bed to be very comfortable.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Purmerend, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Chris is a SUPER cocktail maker! Great atmosphere in the MORSE BAR. We will certainly go back there! We did not stay in the Hotel, but we just went in for a cocktail. Since we are detective- addicts, we went to a lot of Pubs and Bars where Morse en Lewis and later Lewis and Hathaway are going for a drink.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you your kind review. Chris in our Morse Bar is indeed a great cocktail maker. He will be delighted by your comments. The Morse Bar is a great location for a drink and often Colin Dexter the writer of Morse can be seen having a drink during the week.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am a trave agent in Uruguay and need help from the reservations department at this beautiful hotel. Mrs. Michelle Mayes listen to my predicament, and found a solution with no hesitation. I will reccomend staying here, specially because of the very good staff.
Amilcar Viñas - Montevideo Uruguay

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review and I was glad Michelle was able to assist. She is indeed a true asset at the hotel and I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed to celebrate a birthday and couldn't have asked for a better experience. The person who took my booking passed on that it was a special occasion and when we arrived we were upgraded a great suite (306) and there was a bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit in the room as well, all complimentary.

Service was great from check in to check out, the little extras in the room such as a nespresso machine, moulton brown toiletries, etc are a nice touch. The views from the upper floors are amazing and the turndown service really added to the experience as well.

Breakfast the next day was delicious, although there was a bit of a wait. We went down at 9am on a Saturday which is obviously a very busy time and everything is cooked to order so quite understandable - the staff did a great job looking after us nonetheless.

Overall a great experience and I would definitely stay again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Room 306 - very large spacious suite with great views over st. Giles and Beaumont street.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you posting a review. I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a perfect destination for a special occasion and I was glad that the team were able to recognize this. All our executive rooms and above offer a nespresso machine in the room and our classic rooms have cafetiere coffee.

We do get busy on a weekend during breakfast service and as you point out, our cooked breakfasts are made to order. We endeavour to offer a speedy breakfast service and I am sorry there was a delay.

I know the team will be most motivated by your comments. I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have stayed once over the past several months and my son twice , simply because there is such a shortage of hotels in oxford , basically pretty shabby , overpriced , with a marvelous touch of arrogance ..... Just note £3 is added to each bill which most guests don't notice ..... Ah yes they tell you on enquiring " this is because you paid by credit card" .......what on earth do they expect me to carry !!? , they add £ 3 to a bill of £1000 plus to cover credit card .... now how devious is that , tell them what you think and it is rapidly removed, but really , how awful to sneaky treatment and will avoid simply because they tried it on .... Twice !

Room Tip: Suggest an alternative hotel !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Bertie W
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for posting a review. I am sorry that you were not aware of our credit administration fee of £3.00. This is applied to guest accounts if settled with a credit card. We clearly state this on all our booking channels and confirmation details. Use of debit cards or cash does not levy this charge. This is throughout Macdonald Hotels. I shall be passing your feedback to our Head Office. I am sorry that you found the hotel to be shabby and overpriced. We offer all our rooms with every confidence guests will be comfortable and regularly carry out refurbishment work at the hotel.

I do hope that despite the shortcomings we may have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

London
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My partner and I treated ourselves to lunch at the (Macdonald) Randolph on 31 May 2014. We arrived early and had a delicious non-alcoholic cocktail in the Morse Bar, followed by an excellently presented and prepared three course lunch in the atmospheric restaurant. It was excellently located for a visit to the Ashmolean Museum, opposite. I'd chosen The Randolph for lunch given the recently poor reviews on TripAdvisor for the rooftop restaurant at the Ashmolean. We were certainly not disappointed by the Randolph, although at £91 for the two of us for lunch, including the cocktails, it's not something that most people could do every week.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for kind comments following your lunch with us at the hotel. We do offer formal dining in our restaurant for lunch at the weekend with views of The Ashmolean Museum and Martyr’s Memorial. We are currently striving for our third AA Rosette. I know the team will be delighted by your comments.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.