“Afternoon tea” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Last Saturday my daughter treated me to afternoon tea for my birthday. When we arrived in the Drawing Room told there was no booking for us but we had been put in the Restuarant which did not have the same atmophere. The afternoon tea was lovely and nicely presented, no explanation was given to the teas etc like customers have said in the Drawing Room. My daughter is veggie so asked for her sandwiches to be placed on a different plate. When the cakes came and she saw them we then had to ask if she would be able to eat them? unfrotunately good choice but 3 of them she could not eat due to geletine. Why don't they have alternative choice since the afternoon tea is not cheap!! at least we had plenty of refills of tea. It was nice but there was a better atmosphere in the Drawing Room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank carola59
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear carola59

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit for Afternoon tea. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the lack of Tea explanation to the Restaurant Manager to ensure this can be rectified for future patrons and I would like to apologise for the shortfall during your visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the experience and take on board your constructive comments regarding the atmosphere. I hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Michael Grange, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Had a wonderful three nights here to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. Very relaxing stay at the Randolph with some lovely touches. Spacious rooms booked as part of a winter weekend deal. In the end, we were too stuffed to take up our night caps in the Morse bar, but we made the most of the wonderful breakfasts, in bed once, exactly at the time ordered and all hot, and ample service and choice in the restaurant on the other mornings. Dinner - reviewed separately - was outstanding. Lovely Molton Brown toiletries, attentive but discreet service (I loved that the restaurant staff didn't hover asking how the meal was: I think this just gave us confidence that they just KNEW it was great, and the privacy we wished for). I did ring reception when we arrived to ask whether they had had noise issues with room 61 (and I guess 60 and 62) before, since it overlooks a pub. They were reassuring and told me to get in touch if we had a problem with noise. Bar one half hour of tipping out time on Friday, it was fine, but if you're a VERY light sleeper or must have the window open - and it was pretty hot - then it might be an issue. What could have been improved? I suppose I would have liked a touch more storage space in the bathroom, for all my bits and bobs; and as others have pointed out, although the Wifi works, it's doesn't work terribly well. I don't know if the new wing we were in was a particular issue, but a wireless booster in this part of the hotel might help? Overall, though, spacious rooms, lovely surroundings, excellent service and food and right opposite the wonderful Ashmolean.

Room Tip: I am not sure light sleepers will be happy in rooms 60, 61, 62. They are in a distant wing and overl...
1 Thank RebeccaKeele
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear RebbeccaKeele

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. We are currently investigating why there is fallout on the wifi service in the vicinity of room 60 and should hopefully have this rectified in the near future. Thank you so much for your kind words regarding the rest of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Macdonald Randolph in the near future.

East Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

This was my first stay in a '5 star' hotel. Having stayed in a few 4 star hotels, my expectations were high but, unfortunately, not met.

Whilst the staff were courteous and attentive, my intial impression of the hotel was that it was 'tired'. I did not expect to see what appeared to be damp patches on the corridor walls and doors with holes in them (presumably where cleaning staff have bumped their trolleys into the storeroom doors). I also didn't expect the cleaner's trolley to be left outside my room all day (it was theer from 9:30am til at least 4pm). Maybe I'm being picky, but I just expected a 5 star hotel to be well maintained, with all the 'back room' operations invisible.

Breakfast was very good and served very quickly (within 10 minutes) on day 1. However, on day 2 I had to wait 25 minutes and remind the waiter before breakfas wast to be brought to me. And the explanation that 'it's all freshly cooked' doesn't hold water when it was served so quickly the previous day.

Overall, I feel the hotel is trading on standards of days gone by. I would have been deeply disappointed had I paid full price, but was fortunate enough to be on a 2-for-1 offer, which made it more affordable/reasonable.

I don't feel I will be staying there again though.

1 Thank DB-EastMids
Dear DB-Eastmids

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I would like to apologise for the shortcomings that you experienced during your time with us. All of our breakfasts are cooked fresh to order but there can be delays if there are a number of orders to be prepared prior to yours. I have noted your comments and will be speaking to the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager personally to ensure that delays of this nature are minimised and the explanations offered for such delays are more detailed. We have an ongoing improvement program here at The Macdonald Randolph and I will be sure to share your observations with the maintenance team. I hope that we may be of use to you again should your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a fabulous stay at this hotel. It was my fiancé's birthday and I surprised him with the dinner bed and breakfast package .

We stayed in an executive suite facing the museum, it was a lovely stay, staff were professional and friendly. Dinner was DELICIOUS, the presentation was perfect and the service was great, usually you could feel intimidated in such a restaurant but it didn't, we felt very relaxed, its an elegant setting and we loved the way the chef wrote "happy birthday" in chocolate on my fiancé's dessert . I opted for a surprise breakfast in bed the next morning and that was also wonderful, especially when the hotel offered us a bottle of champagne at 10am! :)

Would definitely recommend the DBB option. Great place to stat, very central location.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rorox88
Dear Rorox88

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you both back for many birthdays to come. I will be sure to pass on your glowing feedback to the team as I am sure they will be most motivated by your comments. I hope that we will see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

From the reviews it's evident that it's very hit and miss at this hotel. We stayed in a classic room for 2 nights. The room over-looked the Ashmoleun museum which was great, but it was really small and the bed was incredibly uncomfortable.
After trying to find some form of comfort on the bed we had to ask for another room - we were shown another classic room that was even smaller, so stayed where we were. It seems we actually had one of the better rooms.
Staff were very helpful and offered to put a board under the mattress to firm it up. Unfortunately this made no difference.

The location was great, the breakfast was great, the staff were great - but at the end of the day if you book into a 5 star hotel you don't expect the room to be tiny and the bed uncomfortable.

Sure, the room had some nice furniture, a mini-bar, but by cramming it all in to hit the '5 star' status, it seems to lose any star feeling. Wouldn't it be better to be a descent 3 or 4 stars to avoid disappointment?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mercuryman2013
Dear Mercuryman2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I am pleased that you found the team to be as good as our location and our signature breakfast. I will of course be investigating the mattress in the room you stayed to ensure that we can have this changed as soon as possible so that the uncomfortable nights sleep that you endured which I would like to apologise for is not an issue to anybody moving forward. I would like to thank you for your constructive comments and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Macdonald Randolph in the future.

Lake District
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Just returned from the Randolph. Our deal included dinner, which was excellent. We had an executive king which was so spacious. We couldn't have wished for anything else - and if we had, then we we're secure in the knowledge that the staff would do their best to oblige. We opted to park our car which is expensive but if you've ever tried to park in Oxford.............. The Randolph is so conveniently situated you don't need a car. The staff were excellent - so helpful and friendly. They put a discretionary tip on the bill which I didn't regret at all. The smoked salmon starter was to die for! And they would happily adapt any dish.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Jane 046

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. Our Head Chef Simon Bradley has really injected a new lease of life into the cuisine in the restaurant without losing some of the traditionalism and theatre of the smoked salmon starter carved tableside. I hope that we will be welcoming you back through our doors without too much delay.

Evesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Have just returned from a short break at the Randolph.On arrival , as if by magic the concierge team came to greet us and immediately made us welcome.Their efficient manner meant we could just go straight in to meet our guest in the "morse bar".After coffee and luxury shortbread, we then checked in with the reception and had an equally pleasant welcome from them.The room we had ,was beautiful and overlooked the Ashmoleon museum.The Ashmoleon is well worth a visit and much bigger than you can imagine covering several floors so really could spend a whole day there.As a Christmas present ,we had afternoon tea booked so we sat down to the accompaniment jazz pianist while we we indulged in several choice of sandwiches, scones and delicate cakes and the best lemon curd ever!Much later in the evening we had an equally gorgeous meal and wine ,which is definitely 5 star standard.The breakfast was equally impressive.The hotel was busy this week end but this did not distract from the attention to detail and fantastic service we received from all the staff .Very memorable experience and a real treat.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jill a

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I will be sure to share your feedback with the management team at our weekly meeting as you have experienced first class service from start to finish which is our key objective. I sincerely hope that we may be of service to you again in the future should your travels bring you back to the city of Oxford. Maybe you could try our new Elemis Spa range to bring your next stay to a new level of relaxation.