“Very enjoyable”

Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
suffolk
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

We came down to Oxford for a pre Christmas break. We left feeling very well looked after and relaxed. If I was being picky and had to complain about anything it would be the placement of the smokers area. There was a venue on last night and there was crowds of people smoking on the steps and in the door way. As a non smoker I
don't appreciate that's the last thing I want is smoke being blown in out direction.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank mch1st
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Mch1st

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I will be sure to advise the team of your positive feedback and am very pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing time with us. Unfortunately since the smoking ban a great number of venues suffer with the same issue as we do with smokers gathering at the entrance of a property, especially when the weather is less than favourable. We do endeavour to keep this area clear and will make sure more of a focus is put into this area in the future. I hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after you again in the New Year.

Yours sincerely

Michael Grange, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Myself and a friend had a lovely 2 night stay on our trip to Oxford.
The bed was probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
The location was perfect, i know Oxford pretty well and this is the best spot in town.
The staff were lovely but it would have been nice to have some English people working there.
There is only one thing that keeps this from being a 5 star review, there was no beer.
It always amazes me that hotels put so much effort into getting the food and wine right and don't care about the beer. In The Morse Bar, there was only some appalling keg rubbish at £4.95 a pint. Since this is named after inspector Morse who was a real ale fanatic I would have expected better especially as there is a quote on the wall about Morse saying that the Randolph does a good pint. It doesn't. The hotel also lost out, because there was no beer we ate out both nights which we wouldn't have done, and we didn't use the bar at all which we would have done.
Having said all that overall, I would certainly visit again, and would recommend it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mileshinch

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and slept well. We have tried to offer a real ale in the Morse Bar on numerous occasions as a direct result of the feedback we have received but to be honest it just isn’t as popular as one might think and we end up wasting gallons of it, which I am sure you would agree is much worse. We do however offer a number of ales in a bottled format such as Old Speckled Hen and Bombadier which have proved to be quite popular. I hope that we have the pleasure of looking after you again in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Exeter
Reviewed December 11, 2013

What a disappointing hotel. Just did not live up to any of the hype and can't believe that it is 5*. I had a small poky single room - no where to plug in the hairdryer unless you crawled around on the floor behind the TV or unplugged the trouser press and stood by the door. None of the staff we encountered provided 5* service and the rooms were bland and in need of some TLC. Breakfast was incredibly slow - we had to ask for toast about three times! Dinner was boring and items on the menu were missing from the plate. Will definitely look for somewhere else next time we are in Oxford.

2 Thank TheExeterGibbon
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you posting a review and I was concerned to read your comments regarding your stay with us. This is not the normal feedback we receive regarding our staff and please be assured that I will be discussing your comments at our weekly team meeting. I was perturbed by the service lapses in the restaurant for breakfast and please accept my apologies. We pride ourselves in offering an efficient breakfast experience and I am sorry that we did not live up to this ideal. We offer various types of rooms here at the hotel and all are offered with every confidence guests will be comfortable. Our executive grade bedrooms offer more spacious accommodation. I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future and I am sorry that you were disappointed on this occasion.

Suffolk
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Firstly, the hotel is in a great location and first impressions were very good, although the reception area is quite small. I had afternoon tea with a guest, and thoroughly enjoyed it - would be happy to repeat the experience in such a nice setting. On checking in however, I was pretty disappointed with the size of the room, having paid £180 for a single room. The décor was OK, but as I said, the room was very small and there was no real view from the window (room was on the third floor). I was staying overnight to attend a dinner in the ballroom. I chose to have a Christmas dinner, and was pretty underwhelmed at the quality of the food, including rock hard parsnips and dry turkey. I am told by friends that the restaurant is usually very good, so maybe I caught them on an off day. I don't mind paying high prices for a hotel, but if I do, I expect very high standards - I'm not sure the Randolph Hotel delivered.

2 Thank SuffolkCountryman
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience with us. I was sorry however that you were disappointed with the banqueting cuisine at the function. This is not the normal feedback that we receive and indeed we have hosted thousands of Christmas party guests and the feedback has been very good. I shall be discussing your comments with my Head Chef. Here at the hotel we offer various types of rooms and varying tariff structures. We work on a flexible rate system similar to an airline where by the rate fluctuates depending on demand. This is standard practice in the hotel industry. We are right in the heart of the city as such are completely landlocked. This does mean that not all our bedrooms boast a front facing outlook. We will always endeavor to meet guest requests but this cannot be guaranteed. Please be assured we offer all our rooms with every confidence that guests will be comfortable. I do hope that me be of service to you again in the future should your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I traveled with my husband who was in Oxford on business. I can't imagine a better location in Oxford! I found the hotel charming and quite the opposite of some of the other recent reviews. It's hard to gauge value because I wasn't paying from my own budget, but I think for the location, the price was fair. The concierge staff were extremely helpful and nice. I will agree the lifts are tiny and slow; as a claustrophobic, I chose to take the stairs, which might be difficult for older patrons or those with small children. Our room was nicely sized as was the bathroom which had a separate bath and shower (although not a lot of space for your toiletry items). I don't understand why there are no plugs in UK hotel bathrooms other than one 220 current plug which doesn't work with the hairdryers supplied. I had to do my hair and makeup at the desk in the room. My only semi-complaint was that our room was extremely HOT (but I found that to be true of stores and restaurants as well). We turned the heat OFF and slept with the window open (with temps in the 30's F) at night to be able to sleep comfortably. Would definitely stay again and it is where my husband always stays when he is there for business.

1 Thank heyjudej
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Randolph Hotel. We are indeed right in the heart of Oxford and in walking distance of most attractions and colleges in the city. I was sorry that your room was too hot. We endeavor to ensure that guest bedrooms are at an ambient temperature and I am sorry this was not the case. We do not have plug sockets in the bathrooms due to health and safety concerns with risk of electrocution.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

London
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Perhaps I'm becoming more irritable as I get older, but this hotel just made me angry. The complete lack of any care for standards must be a product of appalling management. We checked in to a bland, tired room which is well overdue redecoration. It was cold. The bathroom was too small to allow the unpacking of a wash bag, and absolutely freezing cold. Turning on the towel heater raised the temperature by a couple of degrees in 48 hours. On one visit to the Morse bar we were so comprehensively ignored by the staff that we left, chastened, and found a drink elsewhere. On our second attempt we felt strong enough to enter into the battle of wills and, after 20 minutes or so, were granted the privilege of being served. Breakfast highlights included a fried egg which was either made of rubber or had been kept warm for a lengthy period after cooking; I was disinclined to enquire. The honourable exception to this disaster was the concierge, who was excellent.

Never again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SirCLondon
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay with us. Here at the hotel we regularly carry out refurbishment work to the building and indeed bedrooms. We have finalized our next phase. We offer all our rooms with every confidence guests will be comfortable and I am sorry that you felt it was too small and the room was cold. I was very concerned by your comments regarding the service in The Morse Bar. This is not the normal feedback we receive and indeed the bar team are normally praised for their guest care and service. I will be discussing your comments with our Bar Manager. We strive to offer the highest quality produce at breakfast and I am sorry that your egg was below par. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Concierge Team who I know will be most motivated to learn of your feedback. I do hope that despite your disappointment we may have the pleasure of being of service to our again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I was put into a room on the 4th floor which is in the roof so although it was quiet, being a really windy night and without double glazing, it was so draughty that the curtains were moving as the seals on the windows were inadequate. Because of the cold coming straight in, I tried to turn on the heat, but it didn't work, so as a result the room was freezing. On top of that the bed was far too soft giving me a really bad back ache and the shower head was broken.

Breakfast was a disaster. Lots of staff but none wanted to serve. I managed to get one cup of coffee but wasn't offered another. Just when I had finished, someone came over to ask whether I would like to order a cooked breakfast. The lady on the table next to me had a similar experience.

The lift is so slow, it is far quicker to walk.

All in all, The Randolph is an old fashioned out of date hotel which is in dire need of a complete refurbishment and they really cannot justify the £115+ B&B nightly rate.

Room Tip: Not the 4th floor