Macdonald Randolph Hotel
$111
$100
  • Pool
$172
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$96
$80
  • Pool
$104
$99
Official Site
3,445 results
All reviewsmorse barashmolean museummolton brown toiletriesconcierge teamafternoon teadrawing roominspector morseturn down servicenespresso machineexecutive roombeautiful buildingspecial occasionbreakfast servicerestaurant staffcentral locationcar parkingcooked breakfast
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just wanted to share an email I sent to Michelle Mayes, the very lovely, patient, accommodating, efficient and generous reservation manager for group bookings at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford, I had a group of 62 people on an insanely tight schedule (a two day / one night event) - some flying in from as far as New Zealand so I had to absolutely ensure that all elements ran like clockwork as we literlly did not have a minute to spare - so I was like a dervish at the hotel - everyone was so helpful - Jade at the front desk reception - who always seemed to be there whenever I appeared was so tolerent and constantly assuring me that all would be fine (I was very concerned about large numbers of people all checking in and out - again - with minutes to do so - that's ok when it's one person - but when it's 28, getting them through the system understandbly can take time)! - no problems incurred by anyone at all - I came away from the hotel at the end of our two day whirlwind event very satisified as were all the guests. I would highly recommend the Randolph for any event, it is a beautiful building in the heart of Oxford, and I would love to go back to enjoy it at a more leisurely pace - maybe some day...

Hi Michelle

Just to say thank you so much for looking after us so well and for looking after all the bookings.

Also, a huge big thank you for my personal upgrade – my suite was just beautiful with great views, that was a very lovely and very welcome surprise even though I managed to break the toilet seat (sincere apologies).

My only regret is that I didn’t get to spend more time both in the hotel and Oxford – both of which are really lovely.

The staff at the front desk and the concierge were very helpful and accommodating and I was very anxious about everyone booking in and checking out as we were all on a seriously strict and very tight schedules and I am sure the staff at reception must have wanted to put me on Prozac to calm me down I was so concerned about timings and they kept assuring me all would be fine and it all was – at least not one person came to me and said anything about their experience in the hotel (difficulty wise).

So thank you again for all your help and the staff, and for the upgrade – so appreciated.

I must come back for a proper visit sometime or if we repeat this next year, I will definitely come in a day earlier for my own leisure time.

With very best regards

Antoinette

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AMPenny2011
Gareth T, Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear AMpenny2011

Thank you for your recent review of your experience with the team here at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. Michelle is delighted that you feel so strongly about the service that she provided in the lead up to your residential booking. The whole team wish to be associated with my thank you for your kind words regarding your time with us and we hope to be of use to you in the future should you need accommodation in the city of Oxford again.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at the Randolph at the end of September, it was a well earned and deserved break for myself and my friend. The Randolph did not disappoint, we had a fantastic stay and was pleasantly surprised to receive a free upgrade, I booked a classic room, but we actually stayed in an executive.
We enjoyed the spa facilities and had a lovely glass of champagne and a cocktail in the classic Morse bar.
The breakfast we delicious and plentiful.
I would love to stay again.

Room Tip: We were in room 328 which was a pleasant room, sadly no view, and the room was extremely warm, which did make for an uncomfortable sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Gareth T, Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for posting a review regarding your visit to Oxford and stay at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I know the team will be delighted with your feedback. We serve an extensive cocktail range in the Morse Bar and indeed boast a spa built in the cellars of the hotel.

Here at the hotel we offer various room categories. Being landlocked not all our rooms offer a front facing view but do contain all the amenities our guest would expect from a hotel of its nature. I am sorry your room was on the warm side and I have asked my Maintenance Manager to assess the heating in this part of the hotel.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future when your plans next bring you to the city of Oxford

Kind regards,

Gareth Tebbutt
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We try and stay here every year for our anniversary and do acknowledge that despite its star rating it is a little tired in places. However we just love the feel of the hotel and always find the staff polite and very helpful. A cocktail in the Morse Bar is our highlight!

Great location for exploring Oxford and if you can't get a good deal/rate for breakfast there are numerous places to eat just around the corner.

If you are Morse/Lewis fans then this is a must

Room Tip: We only use the room as a base to change so have no problems with any of the locations though some are a fair walk from reception so bear that in mind.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanking for taking time to post a review. I was delighted we could be a part of your anniversary and I know the team will be most motivated by your comments. The hotel is the perfect place for a special occasion.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Gareth Tebbutt
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We waited a long time to stay at the Randolph but were sorely disappointed. This is an expensive, supposedly luxury hotel, but what we got were snooty staff and a room in an annex only slightly better than a Holiday Inn Express. Even the desk clerk who checked us in readily acknowledged that our room was totally devoid of "character." The web sit is vague and offers no warning of what fate awaits the hapless traveler. When I think of luxury hotels in which we've stayed, I think of the Crillon in Paris, the Sacher in Vienna, or the Beyericherhof in Munich. The Randolph hardly measures up.

Room Tip: Call. Don't rely on the internet site. It is misleading.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SLRPBR
Gareth T, Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear SLRPBR

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. I am sorry that you found your room to be less than satisfactory. This is certainly not the usual feedback that we receive from our clients as our Worcester wing rooms are very popular due to their size and quietness. We have a number of room types here at The Macdonald Randolph and they are always appointed with our guest’s best interest at heart, I am sorry that on this occasion we have not lived up to your ideals. I hope that we can be of use to you in the future should your travels bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at the Randolph over the weekend our first impression was how central we were to everything. The next was how large the hotel was. We parked outside and our car was valet parked and our luggage brought in for us, this was an excellent start. We checked in early so we stored our luggage and concierge sold us the tickets for the ho ho bus the stop was right outside the hotel. The bus ride was a good way of finding the places we wanted to visit later on. Our room in the hotel was well appointed and immaculately clean.the only downside was the temperature in the room it was so hot the heating was on for the winter,although the radiator wasn't turned on, but the air conditioning had been turned of for the winter, not everyone likes heat in the room, and I realise that I don't understand the workings of these systems but it would be so nice to always have the personal choice of hot or cold.The front of house were so good and we were moved to a much cooler room, which was as immaculate as the last, but was cooler. Our luggage was moved for us and Cedric was so helpful in doing so.the staff are the heart of this hotel from start to finish we were well cared for with kindness courtesy and efficiency, jade on reception was a treasure she always had a genuine smile four all and is a huge asset to the team. The food and service in the reastuarant was excellent, and we would recommend anyone to try the food , it obviously starts out as top ingredients and carries through to excellent cooking and service.we would be thriller to stay here whenever we are in Oxford, and highly recommend it. It isn't cheap, but you do get what you pay superb comfort and attention to detail.an excellent choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gina m
Gareth T, Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Gina M

Thank you for your recent balanced review of your experience with us at The Macdonald Randolph Hotel. Cedric and Jade are really pleased that their service skills have been personally recognised. The hop on hop off bus tour is a fantastic way to see the city and to get your bearings. Our central location is very unique to The Macdonald Randolph and really does put you in the heart of the city. Our comfort cooling system is difficult to manage as everybody has different ideas of what is a comfortable temperature and the cold nights but warm days do not make this any easier. I am sorry that this caused you discomfort during your stay. Our new Head Chef Simon Bradley has really lifted our food offering and we are receiving outstanding feedback on the food and service alike. Macdonald Hotels and resorts are passionate about quality raw ingredients and the provenance of our food which gives the chefs the opportunity to express themselves from a culinary perspective. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to be welcoming you back to The Macdonald Randolph in the not too distant future.