“Very special”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Held our wedding reception in this hotel and our 25 wedding anniversary party in the same room. Save for a slightly unpleasant aroma on arrival, everything was wonderful. This hotel is very special. The location in Beaumont Street, just off St. Giles in the centre of Oxford is wonderful. Plenty of lovely places to walk to. Food is superb. Hope to stay again before too long, though it isn't cheap!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,358)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were visiting Oxford for a couple of days sightseeing so after visiting the Ashmoleum Museum we crossed the road and went into the Randolph Hotel for a relaxing early evening drink.
We went into the Morse Bar and decided to treat ourselves to cocktails, these drinks were excellent, the service is great and the atmosphere is lovely.
Highly recommended venue for an afternoon treat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Randolph for two nights as a short break in Oxford.

The location is excellent. The rooms are quiet and the beds are comfortable. If possible, avoid the rooms on the 4th floor - they are on the small side.

We chose it as it is a Macdonald Hotel (they are usually good) and as it is a 5 star hotel - we were looking forward to some luxury. We encountered a couple of issues which the General Manager resolved very satisfactorily and as such it would be unreasonable of me to sound off about them!

So,yes - I would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Macdonald Randolph hotel in mid April and I must say we were quite pleased. If you want to tour the city you could not wish for a better location - it is in the heart of Oxford. Another pleasant experience was their high tea, very impressive. The room was a bit warm and a little uncomfortable at night, thus the 4 rating.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I know the team will be very pleased. We do indeed serve afternoon tea in our lounge 7 days a week and it is very popular. An advanced reservation is preferable to avoid disappointment. I was sorry that your room was a little too hot. We endeavor to offer guests rooms that are comfortable and I shall be speaking to my maintenance team.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Macdonald Randolph for one weekend in April. The hotel is beautiful inside and out, but we faced a few problems that should not occur at a five-star hotel. For those of you who like to shop and sightsee, this hotel is perfectly located by all of the attractions. We walked to all of the shops and main tourist sites without any issue.

The bed and linens were quite comfortable, and the bathroom was roomy and modern. We had a kettle in our room, and much-appreciated still and sparkling water bottles on a side table. As noted in some of the other reviews, however, the room was incredibly stuffy and hot at times. I understand this can happen with older properties, but some fresh air in the rooms would be greatly appreciated.

The other drawback during our stay was the bar and restaurant service. It is absolutely lovely to have a cocktail in the bar, but be prepared to wait... and wait... for your drink to arrive. It is evident that the bar staff takes great pride in mixing their cocktails, but it should not take 15 minutes for a glass of champagne and a beer to be served. Additionally, the breakfast service was painfully slow. The staff were so focused on changing the table linens after each guest left that it was difficult to catch their attention to obtain toast, the bill, etc.

Overall, it was great to stay at such a historical hotel, but I think we will try another hotel in Oxford next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B.G._Chicago

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was sorry that you experienced service issues at the hotel. I shall be sharing your comments at our weekly team meeting and thank you for highlighting these to us.

I was concerned that you also experienced issues with heat in your bedroom. Please be assured that we do all in our power to ensure that rooms are offered at an ambient temperature and I am sorry this was not the case on this occasion.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Macdonald Randolph twice in the past 3 months due to its perfect location in the heart of Oxford. The rooms are beautiful, and the staff are happy to resolve any issues.

You do pay a premium for the location of the hotel -this should be expected; although the quality of service received is tremendous. I would definitely recommend the hotel to those who can afford, and I will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors don't have noise from the A/C units from the adjoined spa -Ring reception Some ro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you posting a review and I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your various stays with us. I know the team will be most motivated by your comments.

Accommodation in the heart of the city of Oxford is expensive. I would always advise guests who are wishing to stay to book as far in advance as possible to receive more advantageous rates. Also do check our website for special offers.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had intended only to visit Oxford for the day when my partner became I'll with a migraine. We came into the Randolph to find somewhere to sit for a short while . It became clear that we weren't going anywhere in a hurry and the staff were marvellous. The restaurant manager in particular, was incredibly kind. He found us a quiet corner to sit in and I quickly booked in. When I explained to the receptionist, the impromptu nature of our stay, she upgraded our room and picked a quieter end room for our stay, which showed a thoughtfulness which was appreciated.

Our room was lovely, spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the robes and slippers were useful. Having slept well, and with my partner fully recovered following what he described as the best sleep he has had in ages, we ventured down to breakfast to relish in the delights of this impressive hotel. The dining room is truly impressive, managing to be both imposing yet welcoming. We were greeted warmly by the restaurant manager, and were pleased to be able to thank him for his help the previous evening. As we sat in the morning sunshine, we enjoyed a satisfying and leisurely breakfast. The staff were friendly and attentive.

Our stay was unplanned but turned into a memorable experience. I commend the Randolph on the calibre of the staff we came into contact with. We left, having already decided that we will be back, albeit in more conventional circumstances.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane F

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was pleased to learn that my team were able to assist you and your partner during your stay with us. I know the team will be thrilled to learn of your comments and I do hope that we may of service to you again in the future.