“Truly wonderful Hotel in a beautiful city!!”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford for one night on a road trip across the UK. My sister had stayed here before and loved it's style and features so I was very much looking forward to it.
I was not dissapointed! Wonderful rooms with a great view and very comfortable beds all traditional in style.
The Hotel was the cleanest I have ever seen - our regards to Gulen who is the Executive Housekeeper. Also not forgetting Stephen who was the General Manager and made our stay even more memorable. The concierges William and Jorge knew the city really well and recomended lots of places to visit.
We truly felt like royalty in this classicly beautiful establishment.
We ate out dissapointingly as the restaurant looked (and smelled) fantastic but we did enjoy some liquers in the evening at a decent price. I recommend the Cherry Brandy (£5!) Jx

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 22, 2013

For our Pearl Wedding Anniversary our family sent us to the Randolph Hotel in Oxford.
On Thursday, 18th April we arrived at The Randolph and were treated with utmost courtesy by the receptionist. All our questions were answered and the hotel amenities were fully explained. The receptionist took us to our room on the first floor and our bags quickly followed.
We were in a Classic room and the bed was large and very comfortable. We had a mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The armchair was comfortable and we had plenty of cupboard space.
The bathroom was spotless and lots of space. The shower which was in the bath was excellent.
We did not have any meals in the hotel as were were meeting friends and relatives in the vicinity and were away most of the day and evening.
We did use the Morse Bar and found it most comfortable with extremely helpful staff.
After 4 days we departed and the staff saw us on our way in style with our bags taken to the bus stop nearby.
We had a great time in Oxford and saw many of the colleges. The hotel even arranged tickets for the tourist bus for us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Robert J
Reviewed April 21, 2013

location very good, although first appearances not the best,spotlessly clean rooms, very helpful staff,extras appreciated.area of hotel at night lively, beds comfy.All round a good place to stay and we would stay here again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you taking the time and trouble to post a review. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry that you did not find your room to be spotless and shall be discussing your comments at our weekly team meeting.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The highlight of our experience with the Randolph was the extraordinary service we received for the reservations and office manager, Michelle Mayes. She is most courteous and effective. We will always rely on her whenever we have reservation to make or problem to solve.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Manager_Randolph, Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you your kind review following your stay with us. I know Michelle will be delighted to learn of your comments and I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Due to change of plans,we had to make last minute reservations - staff could not have been more helpful in Macdonald's reservation department, finding 3 rooms that fully met our requirements.
The Randolph retains an atmosphere of past history while meeting all the expectations of a modern luxury hotel. The decor of the restaurant, with the shields of the colleges displayed round the walls, makes for a fitting environment to enjoy first class cuisine. The Morse bar and large lounge are well appointed and provide all that is required for relaxation after walking the streets of Oxford.The staff added to the enjoyment of our stay, being professional but relaxed and friendly.
The Randolph is ideally located for exploring the historic sights of Oxford on foot - we used the Park and Ride.
We very much enjoyed our stay at the Randolph and happily rate our experience 5 star.

. .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Roger S

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I know all the team at the hotel will be most motivated to learn of your comments and I do hope that we can be of assistance to you again in the future when your travel plans next bring you to the city of Oxford.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have such mixed feelings about this hotel it's taken me a while to decide how to review it......there are some fabulous plus points to this hotel which I will outline first:

Positives

Location-7 min walk or taxi ride from the station and right in the heart of the city-you can walk to the colleges etc in no time

The concierge team-thank god for them honestly they were my lifeline and made up for many of the hotels shortcomings. Especially Frank and Jorge. Plus they are the only people who answer the damn phone!

The restaurant staff-discreet, friendly and nothing is too much trouble

The cauliflower soufflé- oh wow I am still dreaming about it now!

Room service-quick, reliable and extremely polite

My very sweet beauty therapist Chantelle who did my treatments

Deputy manager Gareth who helped me out a couple of times during and after my stay

The mattress on the bed was to die for!

The cheese selection in the restaurant.....wow!

Negatives:

Sadly there are far too many to be allowed to call themselves a 5 star establishment. Attention to detail is sorely lacking.

Reception staff-frosty, arrogant, unhelpful and dismissive....and they managed to charge me twice for my privilege of staying here. Which then took the management a week to rectify by the time the bank allowed the funds to clear back into my account.

The spa was perfect when I went down late on Saturday evening as I was the only guest there so had the teeny tiny hydro bath to myself. However if there had been just one other person down there it would have been awful....it's very small and poky. Oh and the relaxation area (ie reception) has lovely herbal tea to help yourself to but sadly the thermos flask that stores the hot water is obviously not replenished at all through out the day as when I tried to use it at 530 it was freezing cold and no one around to do anything about it

Couldn't even get a look in for afternoon tea.....so busy with non guests

Took almost a whole day to get the brown sugar replenished in my room (I don't eat white) and I asked for more milk cartons (admittedly I drink a lot of tea) and got cream.....tried again and got room service milk in a jug.....clearly someone wasn't listening. And frankly I would expect housekeeping to check and replenish the tea tray every morning anyway and I shouldn't have to ask for things to be topped up

The hotel is hot hot hot!!! I slept on top of my sheets both nights and at one point on the second night in the restaurant I had to ask the waitress to move my table mid meal as I couldn't bear to be by the heater a moment longer. I cannot describe how hot and uncomfortable it was....it was worse than the sauna down in the spa!

Drinks prices are a tad daft in all seriousness. It didn't put me off having a few, but I did chuckle at their audacity to charge a tenner for a glass of cheap house wine and £15 for a cocktail.

Reception area and the lift both particularly have a horrid sewage smell that I notice other reviewers have commented on so its obviously a recurring problem

I tried to have a bath....don't bother. After 20 mins I had managed to fill the bath a meagre inch and was so annoyed with the dribble of luke warm water coming out of the tap I just had a shower. Which granted was very pleasant and reasonable pressure but what I really wanted was a hot bubble bath after 3 hours of travelling.....

So all in all I think there needs to be some serious training in customer care, and more attention to details. Plus the plumbing needs serious address. Having stayed in several other 4 and 5 star hotels this really didn't meet my expectations and I would be cautious about booking a Macdonalds hotel anywhere else as the Randolph is not a good advert I'm afraid. Sorry.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank everhopeful598

Thank you taking the time and trouble to post a review. Thank you for your comments regarding my team and I know they will be most motivated by them.

I was however sorry to learn of the negative aspects of your stay with us. I was sorry that you found the reception staff to be less that polite when dealing with them and that you were charged twice for your stay. It is difficult to ascertain where the error occurred without the booking details. We receive bookings from many different sources and I am sorry that our procedures have let us down on this occasion. It is always advisable to bring all confirmation details sent to you in hard copy upon check in.

I am sorry that you found the spa facilities to be small. We charge guests who wish to use them £15.00 and we limit the number of individuals down there at anyone time. I was sorry that the hot water supplied at the tea station was not replenished.

Here at the hotel we regularly carry out market research to ensure that we charge prices which are in line with our competitors. I am sorry that you found the prices high.

I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by a smell in the reception and foyer area. This has arisen on very rare occasions and please be assured is linked to the council drains. It arises during extreme weather changes and please be assured I am in contact with them to have this issue dealt with. I am pleased to announce that the hotel is not affected at the moment and has not been since your departure.

I was perturbed that your bath was not running with a sufficient temperature of pressure yet your shower was in perfect working order. Please may I assure you that this is not a normal problem that we have.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future and indeed at Macdonald Hotels across the country.