“Valentines Special Visit”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
oxford
“Valentines Special Visit”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We recently stayed at the Randolph for a special valentines treat.
It was excellent - The concierge was marvellous and the lady in charge of housekeeping (Gulen?) was exellent. Our room was beautiful, clean and spacious.
We are very grateful for you making our rare trip out special!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chinnor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Excellent value at a hotel in a prime location for visiting Oxford. Car Parking provided at a reasonable cost. Staff were excellent as was the service and the Breakfast was most enjoyable offering a wide Menu choice. Accommodation unbeatable. Highly recommended

1 Thank RobinWilliams19
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I've stayed here several times and the service has definitely improved - the location is brilliant for sightseeing and just around the corner from the bus station for the coach to Heathrow. Breakfast is good and was included in our Winter Break rate - lovely dining room and the serving staff were more efficient and friendlier than on previous occasions.

Room Tip: The refurbished executive rooms are a long walk from reception and have no view but I recommend the...
Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janefreddie
Wigan
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was really looking forward to my stay at the Randolph, having passed the hotel on a previous visit to Oxford and looked at photos on their website, but unfortunately the hotel did not live up to expectation. However, there were positives as well as negatives:

Positives: great location right next door to the Ashmolean Museum where I was attending a conference and near to all local attractions; beautiful building; impressive entrance hall and public areas; fantastic concierge service - nothing was too much trouble including charging my BlackBerry for me whilst I went out one evening when I realised I had forgotten my charger; very comfortable bed, and duvet provided on request; very quiet room; good selection of complimentary hot drinks; lovely Molton Brown toilettries; nice touch providing a 'Beautiful Homes' magazine.

Negatives:

1. Initially shown to room 402 on 4th floor which was miles away! As I don't use lifts, this was rather problematic and I was very underwhelmed by the attic room which was very dark with a tiny window. I returned to reception with my bags and was allocated a room on floor 1 instead - I have to say this was sorted very quickly and with no fuss.

2. Second room was better but still dark, as it was at the back of the hotel and no view. But the room was quiet.

3. Room was very hot! Air con wasn't working and when I asked the maid about it, she had a look and said it was broken so I had to just open the window which helped a little. When I mentioned the air con the following day to reception staff, I was told that the air con wasn't switched on because it was March! Surely, in a 5 star hotel guests should be able to regulate their room temperature whenever they want to. Although the weather wasn't very nice whilst I was in Oxford, it wasn't cold and as the room was quite small, air con was needed. The radiator was switched off for me so the second night was slightly more bearable. As I got 2 different reasons as to why the air con wasn't on, I am not sure who was telling the truth.

4. Bathroom. My colleague's bathroom was worse but mine was definitely an unrefurbished bathroom as I spotted next door's bathroom when I was leaving and it was amazing! It was however clean and there was a window and I had hot water, which my colleague on floor 3 didn't have much of.

5. Dust. The room was not dusted well. The bedside lampshades were coated in dust as was one of the bedside tables. The furniture in the room, although it matched, looked tired.

6. Few problems with breakfast. First morning I was dining alone as my colleague was only arriving the following day and I definitely feel I got treated differently as a lone diner. Firstly, I asked for tea and this was poured for me rather than a teapot being provided. I did not expect this in a 5 star hotel and am quite particular about how I like my tea - this tea was too strong. My vegetarian breakfast arrived promptly but there was a hair in the sausage so I sent it back. I also wasn't offered any toast so had to request this and when it came it was hardly toasted and I got just 2 tiny pieces! I do know I could have asked for more though, which I did on day 2 and the staff were always very accommodating. Day 2 having breakfast with my colleague, I did receive a teapot (!) but no beans with my breakfast and my colleauge got white bread instead of brown and again it was hardly toasted. I requested beans but they arrived when I had almost finished my breakfast - my colleague gave me some of her beans instead. I didn't think it could be so difficult to get a breakfast wrong! I was also surprised to see on the menu that there was an extra charge for smoked salmon - something that I often choose for breakfast as I don't eat meat. I have never seen this before, even in small B&Bs, I have been offered salmon included in the price.

7. Morse bar. Lovely setting but very expensive drinks! We did expect them to be a little pricey but they exceeded even what we had expected.

8. Smell in lobby. There was a kind of drains smell. Having read other reviews, it seems that this has been a problem for a while and has clearly not been fixed. It was raining a lot when we were there so this could have been why but it was a little off-putting and surely something could be done to mask the smell.

9. Duvet. I read in the blurb that a duvet (synthetic or feather) could be requested rather than blankets, which I find too heavy. I requested a feather duvet and a few mins later a maid arrived with a feather pillow - I already had 4 of these! I explained that I had asked for a feather duvet so she returned a few mins later with a synthetic duvet, I couldn't be bothered asking again so made do with that!

We got a good deal with Expotel for £99 per room including breakfast and I believe that customers on a 'deal' do get the unrefurbished rooms. This wouldn't be so bad if this was made clear at the time of booking so customers are not disappointed. I really was expecting quite a bit more than we got. If I had paid myself to stay here, I would have complained and would not have been happy.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 402! It is miles away and a very dark room with small windows. Rooms at the ba...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KirstyHWigan
Grayshott, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend, the hotel was good, the room very clean and tidy. We had a room at the back of the hotel so although we did not have a view we did have a very quiet room. I would say that as we walked to reception, the floor did appear noisy so we were glad our room was where is was. Breakfast in the hotel was good and even on the Sunday when no table was available at the time we were given orange juice and papers to read in the bar whilst we waiting. We ate in the hotel on one night and the food was of a very good standard. The hotel is in an excellent location for all sightseeing in Oxford. We did pay for the parking at the hotel and whilst expensive is on a par with other city centre hotels, we were glad we did as there did not appear to be other parking options. We were fortunate and good our room and breakfast on a good deal so was good value for money.

Room Tip: If you don't mind not having a view, ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
1 Thank SuzMunday
uk
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We arrived a little late due to traffic, but were welcomed warmly and kindly, had a reservation for a late supper taken, and went up to our small but very comfy room (lovely classical music playing on the TV). We were hungry, so we inhaled the gorgeous complimentary chocs, then popped back down to the Morse bar. Menus were produced as we settled with a bottle of very nice white indeed and we placed our food order, sitting in the cute, very English, quirkily comfortable bar, then we were ushered to a table in the gorgeous restaurant for an unhurried meal; my wife had a beautiful cauliflower souffle and I had a delicious guinea fowl terrine. Back up to the room to a very comfortable bed, then a great cooked breakfast next morning, and back out into the world feeling refreshed and happy, and very very impressed with a faultless hotel, with great service, nice people, and lovely food. We will be back...

Room Tip: 355 is small, but very comfy and quiet
1 Thank pxyzyzygy
pontllyfni
Reviewed March 18, 2013

time for a savoy type makeover.this hotel seems tired and vulnerable but has a spark of life that is well worth rejuvenating.the staff seem very competent and of a higher caliber than the hotel fabric would suggest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends