“Great Location”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
England
“Great Location”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I took my husband away for a 2 night stay here for his birthday. When we arrived our luggage was taken out of our car and put in reception until are room was ready. Our car was parked for us at a charge of £26 per day! Our first impressions of the hotel were fantastic, we were greeted by a large gallery staircase which looked beautiful. Unfortunately we were a little disappointed with our room, it was on the top floor and the floor was extremely creaky with the slightest of movement. Our bed was not very comfortable and dipped in the middle and came away from the headboard every time we moved and the pillows disappeared down the back.

The breakfast was nice, and the restaurant staff were very attentive.

The hotel is in an ideal location for the shops and general amazing sights of the city.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chester UK
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Randolph because we prefer place with a bit of soul and not the usual chain hotel. Prime location great bed - the most comfortable I have had in any hotel ever, crisp clean linen, squishy pillows- nice room on 4th floor looking out over the Ashmolean museum, crystal glasses for the supplied bottles of still and sparkling water and really attentive and helpful staff. However, this hotel could be so much better with a lick of paint, better lighting and a handyman who has some concerns about how a job is finished. The room was fine but the bathroom, although clean left much to be desired. Much of the grouting was stained, there was sealant splodged onto the tiles, the shower screen had more sealant attempting to cover up the mildew at its base, Tiles had been replaced and grouting smeared over the new and adjacent tiles. none of the fittings matched (silver mirror, blue bin, steel tissue holder) and there was no toilet brush. We were offered another room but having unpacked before discovering the bathroom and having a tight schedule we chose not to. It was clean after all. No other compensation was offered. The spa facilities are very limited and cramped. Whilst having my massage the excellent therapist had to go out and ask the people in the hydrotherapy pool a few yards away to be quiet. They weren't being wild but just the normal noise level you'd expect from swishing water and people talking and laughing over it was disruptive to the quiet needed for those therapies. Overall the general effect is tatty which is a real shame because the staff are great, the location unmatched and the remedy fairly easy and not costly. Don't think we'd stay there again, it wasn't value for money. Oh, and the overnight parking is £26! We left the car in the out of town Park and Ride for £3.00 each 24 hrs.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Ashmolean
Southampton
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here 1 night. Upon arrival, our luggage was removed from our car and taken to reception. Our car was then parked for us. We pre-booked this. Cost was about the same as most local car parks. First impressions of the hotel were over powered by a strange odour. I believe it was from the drains. But we tried not to let this overshadow our stay. We picked this hotel because of our interest in "Morse". The bar was quaint with some wonderful pictures. The tariff was very reasonable for a 5 * hotel. The dining room was very impressive. We did not eat there as we had already booked a table at Jamie's Italian. Our room was small, but well equipped with mini bar (VERY expensive), towels, toiletries etc.
Very comfortable bed. It was just a shame, that despite placing a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, the maid felt the need to knock our door to see if she could come clean our room at 8.45am...... and then again at 9am. After a few choice words, we never saw her again. It is a very nice hotel, and as a special occasion treat, we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are indeed cheaper than the local council run car park with overnight parking charged at £26.50. I am sorry that you inconvenienced by an odour in the lobby. We are in discussion with the Oxford City Council and Thames Water. This odour appears very randomly and infrequently and we believe stems from the drain under the main road adjacent to the hotel. Please be assured all our drains are regularly serviced and sanitized and are in perfect working order.

I was sorry that you were disturbed by a room attendant and my Head Housekeeper has discussed your comment with her team to ensure that this is not repeated.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Teddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

A group of us stayed for a hen weekend. We were very well looked after, and even had exclusive use of the spa on the Saturday morning. The spa has a range of steam rooms and a whirl pool. The best bit was the relaxation room, where you could properly relax and unwind.

The hotel catered for all we asked for, and made for a lovely break. The location was perfect.

Breakfast was (thankfully) included in the price, because I noted that it would've cost £19.50. It was delicious. I would recommend for a city break or girly weekend. We had twin rooms, and in our group quite a few varied in size. The only gripe was how hot it was in our room. With snow outside, we ended up keeping the window open - still, it's better than being too cold in my book!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TKFEngland
Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your hen weekend with us. Our spa can be hired for exclusive use and we offer a full range of Decleor and Carita treatments and products.

I am sorry that you found your room to be on the warm side. Here at the hotel we endeavor to ensure that all rooms reach an ambient temperature and due to the age and size of the building this can be tricky during extreme weather conditions.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter treated me to a birthday surprise and brought me here for afternoon tea. I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of my time here. The service was impeccable and the whole afternoon tea experience was so lovely. We couldn't manage to eat all the cakes and scones so the waiter very kindly packed the remainder up for us to take home. I would totally recommend treating yourself to this experience. Also the toilets are amazing!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review following your visit to the hotel for afternoon tea. It is the prefect option to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. Pre-booking is essential and we serve afternoon tea 7 days a week from 12noon-6.00pm.
I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.
oxford
Reviewed January 19, 2013

For the price,its a poor choice. Tired decor and tired rooms. Service is good but i cannot say its a 5 star. In short,it has a monopoly for central oxford and it can,in some ways,charge ehat it likes. With more competition,it would have to upgrade itself. As it stands,its like a tired old elephant charging premium for a bumpy ride.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you felt the hotel was not value for money. Please be assured that our rates are in line with other hotels in the city of Oxford and we regularly carry out refurbishment work.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very small twin bedded room in need of re-decoration. At least there were sheets and blankets and the room was warm although a very cold weekend. Breakfast was included and was quite good although the Sunday lunch which was for ten people took from 1 p.m. until 3.30 p.m. There is also an optional service charge added to your bill but they also give you an opportunity to leave a gratuity as well!
When you book this hotel on their website they don't tell you that they charge you an additional £3.00 if you want to pay by credit card at check out!
I won't be either eating or staying there again.

Room Tip: Are there any?
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AlanAbrams
Thank you for posting a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry however to learn that you found your room to be on the small side and in need of redecoration. Please be assured that we offer all our rooms that guests will be comfortable and do have a a very comprehensive maintenance schedule for the hotel.

I am sorry that you were not aware of the £3.00 credit card administration fee. I shall be checking that this is clearly visible at booking stage. This charge is not levied of debit card payments.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.