Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Agoda.com
$112
$101
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$102
$133
$127
Travelocity
3,444 results
All reviewsmorse barashmolean museummolton brown toiletriesconcierge teamafternoon teadrawing roominspector morseturn down servicenespresso machineexecutive roombeautiful buildingspecial occasionbreakfast servicerestaurant staffcentral locationcar parkingcooked breakfast
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here 1 night. Upon arrival, our luggage was removed from our car and taken to reception. Our car was then parked for us. We pre-booked this. Cost was about the same as most local car parks. First impressions of the hotel were over powered by a strange odour. I believe it was from the drains. But we tried not to let this overshadow our stay. We picked this hotel because of our interest in "Morse". The bar was quaint with some wonderful pictures. The tariff was very reasonable for a 5 * hotel. The dining room was very impressive. We did not eat there as we had already booked a table at Jamie's Italian. Our room was small, but well equipped with mini bar (VERY expensive), towels, toiletries etc.
Very comfortable bed. It was just a shame, that despite placing a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, the maid felt the need to knock our door to see if she could come clean our room at 8.45am...... and then again at 9am. After a few choice words, we never saw her again. It is a very nice hotel, and as a special occasion treat, we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you taking the time to post a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are indeed cheaper than the local council run car park with overnight parking charged at £26.50. I am sorry that you inconvenienced by an odour in the lobby. We are in discussion with the Oxford City Council and Thames Water. This odour appears very randomly and infrequently and we believe stems from the drain under the main road adjacent to the hotel. Please be assured all our drains are regularly serviced and sanitized and are in perfect working order.

I was sorry that you were disturbed by a room attendant and my Head Housekeeper has discussed your comment with her team to ensure that this is not repeated.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

A group of us stayed for a hen weekend. We were very well looked after, and even had exclusive use of the spa on the Saturday morning. The spa has a range of steam rooms and a whirl pool. The best bit was the relaxation room, where you could properly relax and unwind.

The hotel catered for all we asked for, and made for a lovely break. The location was perfect.

Breakfast was (thankfully) included in the price, because I noted that it would've cost £19.50. It was delicious. I would recommend for a city break or girly weekend. We had twin rooms, and in our group quite a few varied in size. The only gripe was how hot it was in our room. With snow outside, we ended up keeping the window open - still, it's better than being too cold in my book!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TKFEngland

Thank you taking the time to post a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your hen weekend with us. Our spa can be hired for exclusive use and we offer a full range of Decleor and Carita treatments and products.

I am sorry that you found your room to be on the warm side. Here at the hotel we endeavor to ensure that all rooms reach an ambient temperature and due to the age and size of the building this can be tricky during extreme weather conditions.

I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My daughter treated me to a birthday surprise and brought me here for afternoon tea. I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of my time here. The service was impeccable and the whole afternoon tea experience was so lovely. We couldn't manage to eat all the cakes and scones so the waiter very kindly packed the remainder up for us to take home. I would totally recommend treating yourself to this experience. Also the toilets are amazing!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind review following your visit to the hotel for afternoon tea. It is the prefect option to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. Pre-booking is essential and we serve afternoon tea 7 days a week from 12noon-6.00pm.
I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

For the price,its a poor choice. Tired decor and tired rooms. Service is good but i cannot say its a 5 star. In short,it has a monopoly for central oxford and it can,in some ways,charge ehat it likes. With more competition,it would have to upgrade itself. As it stands,its like a tired old elephant charging premium for a bumpy ride.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you felt the hotel was not value for money. Please be assured that our rates are in line with other hotels in the city of Oxford and we regularly carry out refurbishment work.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very small twin bedded room in need of re-decoration. At least there were sheets and blankets and the room was warm although a very cold weekend. Breakfast was included and was quite good although the Sunday lunch which was for ten people took from 1 p.m. until 3.30 p.m. There is also an optional service charge added to your bill but they also give you an opportunity to leave a gratuity as well!
When you book this hotel on their website they don't tell you that they charge you an additional £3.00 if you want to pay by credit card at check out!
I won't be either eating or staying there again.

Room Tip: Are there any?
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AlanAbrams

Thank you for posting a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry however to learn that you found your room to be on the small side and in need of redecoration. Please be assured that we offer all our rooms that guests will be comfortable and do have a a very comprehensive maintenance schedule for the hotel.

I am sorry that you were not aware of the £3.00 credit card administration fee. I shall be checking that this is clearly visible at booking stage. This charge is not levied of debit card payments.

I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.