“credit card charged in Euros”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
A TripAdvisor Member
“credit card charged in Euros”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My complaint is due to the fact that the invoice was charged in Euros in my credit card at a very bad exchange rate without having asked me whether Euros or Pounds. I reckon that I complained at reception and the solution to credit and redebit was offered to me but I didn't take it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Excellent location, historical, nice archtecture and old world charm.old world also brings with it small rooms, very small rooms other than that all good

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Thank Adam A. A
Solihull
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in an Executive room, (205) and had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant on the first night. Had a fantastic time! From the first moment - everything was lovely. Our bags were whisked away by a charming and cheerful concierge,who took them up to the room. The hotel is very pleasing, and a little like stepping back in time, but with all mod cons.The room was very comfortable and convenient. The beds and pillows were perfect. There was everything you could need. I especially liked the fruit and chocolates that were provided, along with a personal hand-written card to welcome us. There was a mini-bar, a proper kettle and teapot plus an array of teas, and even a small pack of very good ground coffee and a cafetiere - and some biscuits. Fresh milk was brought up by housekeeping on request. There was a proper ironing board and an iron too. And robes and slippers. The bathroom was very good - lovely Molton Brown toiletries and extra bits and bobs - and the most powerful shower I have ever experienced! The turn-down service gives that little extra touch of luxury. The breakfasts were top knotch, in the lovely sedate dining room. Dinner was out of this world. Really a wonderful experience - every mouthful was a taste sensation. One small niggle is the heating/air-con (which you can't really control) so we were rather warm, and had to open the window, which wouldn't be a problem except there is potentially quite a lot of noise from the road, and revellers, especially due to a huge mobile kebab van which parks every night a few yards away. The view was amazing however - we were right by the Martyrs' Memorial on the Magdalen Street/Beaumont Street intersection - so fascinating to just sit and look out - loved it! Absolutely loved our stay. All the staff were delightful, with one exception - one of the receptionists was brusque and rather unfriendly, but overall I would say this hotel really was a 5 star experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: 205 has a good view (with quirky arched windows) and is not far from reception, up 2 flights of stai...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GadaboutSolihull
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have known this Hotel for about 25 years and have always liked it. I went for a birthday treat and booking in and having a drink at the old bar was lovely while the Porche was parked by a rather jumpy concierge!! It's all grand style at the Randolph and the stairs and lobby and rooms are all of a certain style that caters for tourists of a certain "dollar" value. It is a bit dated I feel and the dining room made me want to eat out in that it was stiff and stuffy and I was intent on having a romantic evening with my beloved and not be stared at if I offered her pudding on my fork!
It's comfortable and as a set, it is well staged.
I could not fault it and if you are staying in Oxford for the first time it is a must.
Only thing is that Oxford gets a bit noisy at night with all the students and younger crowd hanging out at the burger/kebab/chip vans that are on the road RIGHT OUTSIDE our bedroom windows. In the summer this was NOT good.They are there til the wee hours!
It is famous for Inspector Morse but he always had the music on full blast so would not have heard the yelling outside.

Room Tip: Towards the back of the Hotel away from main street noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I write in regards to my stay at the Randolph this month. I was extremely disappointed overall, because while the hotel is 5 stars in appearance, it provides service worthy of only 2-3 stars. The reception staff, bar one individual, was very rude. And, when I requested a room change upon checking in as I was not satisfied with the location of my room, the hotel decided to change room for me while I was out, and without my knowledge. When I returned to my room in the late-afternoon, I found everything in my room went, and had to call the reception staff to ask what happened, which is when I found out they changed my room. The room I received was indeed in a more convenient location yet, it was a "Classic Room" while I was paying more to stay in a "Superior Room." Moreover, dining at the hotel during breakfast was mediocre in terms of both food and service but bearable. The only positive parts of the hotel is the rooms, which are alright but more 4-stars than 5 star ones, and the location. Overall, as a frequent visitor to Oxford, I would definitely recommend the Old Bank Hotel, only a few minute away, which is much nicer in all aspects.

Room Tip: > Warning for elderly people: Check out the location of the room before you accept it. You may...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Sharplau
yateley
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Arrived to first class service from Concierge and Reception. Room very well appointed with a lovely view of the Ashmolean,luggage and dog beds in situ. A champagne reception beautifully organised,a lovely way to celebrate a special birthday.A quiet comfortable night and a McDonald Hotel breakfast-perfect. Every member of staff was very professional and added to our enjoyment.A truly Five Star stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you taking the time to post a review and was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Michael Grange
Scotland
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We chose this hotel based on its location which is its only 5-star credential. We were kindly accommodated an hour before our expected check-in time and bags handled cheerfully and promptly. Just as well, our room was approx a 3 minute walk from the lift and involved several stairs en route. Our window was on to a side lane and the music from the neighbouring bar was horrendous until 11 pm. The finish of the accommodation is definitely not 5 star and the atmosphere is very stiff. I would use this hotel again because of its location but only on a Special Offer deal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. I was pleased that the concierge team were on hand to assist you and that we were able to check you in prior to our ‘from’ check in time of 2.00pm.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise. Being a city centre property we do experience certain levels of urban noise and I shall be monitoring the levels from the bar near the hotel.
From your description it appears you were allocated a room in our Worcester Wing of the hotel. I do appreciate that this is some distance from the main reception area but comprises of very spacious contemporary executive rooms and was offered with every confidence that you would be comfortable.
I do hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.
Kind regards