“A must in Oxford”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have known this Hotel for about 25 years and have always liked it. I went for a birthday treat and booking in and having a drink at the old bar was lovely while the Porche was parked by a rather jumpy concierge!! It's all grand style at the Randolph and the stairs and lobby and rooms are all of a certain style that caters for tourists of a certain "dollar" value. It is a bit dated I feel and the dining room made me want to eat out in that it was stiff and stuffy and I was intent on having a romantic evening with my beloved and not be stared at if I offered her pudding on my fork!
It's comfortable and as a set, it is well staged.
I could not fault it and if you are staying in Oxford for the first time it is a must.
Only thing is that Oxford gets a bit noisy at night with all the students and younger crowd hanging out at the burger/kebab/chip vans that are on the road RIGHT OUTSIDE our bedroom windows. In the summer this was NOT good.They are there til the wee hours!
It is famous for Inspector Morse but he always had the music on full blast so would not have heard the yelling outside.

Room Tip: Towards the back of the Hotel away from main street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Randolph Hotel

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I write in regards to my stay at the Randolph this month. I was extremely disappointed overall, because while the hotel is 5 stars in appearance, it provides service worthy of only 2-3 stars. The reception staff, bar one individual, was very rude. And, when I requested a room change upon checking in as I was not satisfied with the location of my room, the hotel decided to change room for me while I was out, and without my knowledge. When I returned to my room in the late-afternoon, I found everything in my room went, and had to call the reception staff to ask what happened, which is when I found out they changed my room. The room I received was indeed in a more convenient location yet, it was a "Classic Room" while I was paying more to stay in a "Superior Room." Moreover, dining at the hotel during breakfast was mediocre in terms of both food and service but bearable. The only positive parts of the hotel is the rooms, which are alright but more 4-stars than 5 star ones, and the location. Overall, as a frequent visitor to Oxford, I would definitely recommend the Old Bank Hotel, only a few minute away, which is much nicer in all aspects.

Room Tip: > Warning for elderly people: Check out the location of the room before you accept it. You may...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Sharplau
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Arrived to first class service from Concierge and Reception. Room very well appointed with a lovely view of the Ashmolean,luggage and dog beds in situ. A champagne reception beautifully organised,a lovely way to celebrate a special birthday.A quiet comfortable night and a McDonald Hotel breakfast-perfect. Every member of staff was very professional and added to our enjoyment.A truly Five Star stay

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you taking the time to post a review and was delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We chose this hotel based on its location which is its only 5-star credential. We were kindly accommodated an hour before our expected check-in time and bags handled cheerfully and promptly. Just as well, our room was approx a 3 minute walk from the lift and involved several stairs en route. Our window was on to a side lane and the music from the neighbouring bar was horrendous until 11 pm. The finish of the accommodation is definitely not 5 star and the atmosphere is very stiff. I would use this hotel again because of its location but only on a Special Offer deal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. I was pleased that the concierge team were on hand to assist you and that we were able to check you in prior to our ‘from’ check in time of 2.00pm.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise. Being a city centre property we do experience certain levels of urban noise and I shall be monitoring the levels from the bar near the hotel.
From your description it appears you were allocated a room in our Worcester Wing of the hotel. I do appreciate that this is some distance from the main reception area but comprises of very spacious contemporary executive rooms and was offered with every confidence that you would be comfortable.
I do hope we have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We booked a one night stay (Saturday) and arrived for our 2pm check in, fully expecting 5 star service as this hotel charges premium prices. The room was not ready until 3.30 - one and a half hours late for a one night stay. This is a huge proportion when you consider we had to check out by 11am on the Sunday.There was no offer of even a cup of tea to compensate, but Oxford is a great place to wander and the Ashmolean Museum is just accross the road.

A trivial point but they also charge a £3 supplement if you use a credit card. This is a bit small minded when our bill was almost £600 for one night. They also sneak in a £1 charity donation, presumably to help with the Randolph's PR machine.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian B

Thank you taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that your room was not ready on your arrival to the hotel. We endeavour to try and have accommodation ready as early as possible but this does depend on how busy we were the night before and the check out times of the previous guests. We stipulate that rooms will be ready ‘from’ 2.00pm but cannot guarantee this. We always try and honour guest requests for early check in wherever possible.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with our credit card fee of £3.00 and also the charitable donation. We do not charge for use of debit cards or cash and this is stated at the reception desk and on confirmation details. The charitable donation is of course completely optional and I am sorry that you were not aware of this.
I do hope that we may have the pleasure of being of service to you again in the future should your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.
Kind regards

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We're no strangers to good hotels and while we've never stayed at The Randolf before it's very close to our hearts because my wife's father started his career in the hotel industry here in the 1940s. As such a trip to the theatre prompted us to finally book a room here on 31st August.

First impression when we arrived was of a very helpful concierge and porter and while they dealt with the car and baggage we checked-in and headed to the bar for coffee. While checking in the front desk people were what could be described as cold and emotionless by comparison to the porter and concierge.

Because of the price we'd opted to stay in a normal sized room which was clean and fresh but small. However, as we weren't intending to stay in the room for long this didn't worry us. What was disappointing though was the instant coffee packs. Seriously, for the price the Randolf charge for a room of this kind, and given what other hotels now offer, I would now expect a Nespresso machine.

This might strike people as picky thing but in my opinion this highlights the difference between the Randolph and other rival hotels. The Randolf has stayed firmly rooted in the past with cold front of house staff and the belief that instant coffee in a room will suffice. However, that's no longer acceptable in a 5 star establishment with a price tag to match.

I desperately wanted to write a shining review, given our emotional connection to the hotel, but sadly I can't. The location and the warmth and knowledge that the local concierge and porter gave us was bonafide 5-star treatment but everything else was decidedly average.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mysteron
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Although the Hotel clearly advertises Wifi Internet in the rooms, it's not quite what is happening. I can't beileve that a hotel like this has issues with this basic element.
Bar and tea room are very pleasant, elevators are small and rather slow, probably normal in traditional buildings.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Arie J

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am terribly sorry that you were inconvenienced by problems with the complimentary wi-fi here at the hotel. The service is provided by BT Openzone and has proved to be very reliable. They did experience a systems fault and I do appreciate it did take some time to resolve. Please be assured that we did all in our power to expedite the matter to ensure our guests could use this valuable service.

I do hope we may be of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards,