“Excellent location, great concierge staff, decent rooms...”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Leeds
“Excellent location, great concierge staff, decent rooms...”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I arrived in Oxford by train and the hotel is a 10 minute walk from there. I was attending an event at St.Hilda's and fully intended to make an event of it. Hence spending quite a bit extra and booking at the Randolph.

I arrived shortly before 1pm on a Saturday. Check in was efficient and formal but lacked an air of friendliness which it could have done with. I had reserved a twin room and was allocated room 143 on the first floor. There are lifts but I reached my room via a grand staircase. Upon opening the door to the room I was met by a view of vaulted ceilings. Very nice. The room was large and lighting was reasonable. There was no view from the room as such as it was inward looking and I had a view of some very ugly air conditioning ducts. The bathroom was of a decent size but again the sheer height of the ceilings was something to behold. Molton Brown toiletries has been provided. The room allocated to be was for disabled guests and thus the heights of almost everything were wrong and it made using quite a few things a little awkward.

The general decor of the room was a little tired and it was in definite need of a bit more cleaning. The ledges in the bathroom where the toiletries and spare toilet roll could be found had a good layer of dust on them and the room as a whole was definitely not spotless. Spending approaching £200 a night on a Saturday I had expected more in this department

The bed itself was very good and comfortable. My sleep was somewhat interrupted as the floors do creak. Understandable to an extent given the age of the building. As a result you heard a lot of movement from above and noise from the corridor did not help.

Breakfast on a Sunday starts at 8am and I was down there soon after that. It fills up rapidly towards 9am so recommend you go a little earlier if you can. The range of food available on the continental buffet is reasonable but by no means large. The croissants were great and the orange juice was truly fresh though.

Cooked breakfasts are ordered via the staff. Service was friendly and rapid - a little too rapid in fact. I had left a newspaper on my seat to signify I was still there but whilst returning to the buffet for an extra croissant and juice, returned to find that the table had been totally cleared. They apologised profusely and quickly relaid it. Well rescued.. The cooked breakfast itself was of a very high quality and to be recommended. I stayed a little longer after I had finished and was in no way pressured to move by the staff which is great. Well done.

I used the gym a couple of times during my stay. It is located in the basement. As with many hotels it should be more accurately called a 'fitness room'. The room is small but has excellent air conditioning. Equipment is from Technogym. They have one tradmill, one upright bike, one recumbent bike, one bench and a range of light chrome dumbells. In addition they have a Concept2 rowing ergometer. All enough for a short but decent workout.

I found the concierge staff to me a mine of information. Very friendly and approachable as well. They are truly five star and it shows that they have had good training.

I asked staff at reception a couple of times if it would be possible to extend my checkout by a couple of hours but in both cases I was told no, checkout was at midday. Room availability was not even checked. At 11.55am on the morning I checked out I was called by reception to see when I was leaving. I appreciate this is efficient practice but it felt a little pushy. Could have just been me though given my previous experience of asking for a late checkout though.

In summary, the Randolph is a decent establishment. The concierge staff are wonderful, the room was of a decent size, the bed comfortable and shower good. The restaurant staff were very willing but I do feel the that reception staff in general could do with a good injection of friendliness. Efficiency is one thing but they came across as being slightly cold. Inject some firendliness into reception, ensure the rooms are a little less 'tired' looking and cleaning a bit more thorough and you have a good place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank J W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge
Reviewed November 1, 2011

A very nice stay in the Randolph. A quiet, comfortable room on the fourth floor. Bed cosy and breakfast arrived hot and on time. Door staff very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: A room looking into the inner courtyard seems like a good place for a quiet night. We went on Hallow...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments and I do hope we can be of service to you in the future. Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I can't lie; I really enjoyed my one night stay and found service and staff very friendly. Although I found the staff on reception 'stand offish', very much ‘jobs worth’ and referred enquiries, even simple questions, directly to the concierge, who was very accommodating. I was not impressed also when one of the reception staff clearly saw me on the first floor landing struggling with two suitcases and walked by.
Bar and restaurant staff were excellent but some of the breakfast staff were disorganised and not only my table, but surrounding tables, guests received the wrong orders; not what you would expect from silver service. My meal in the evening was good and reasonably priced, the cheese plate had a good selection of artisan cheeses which really enjoyed.
I really loved my room which was well equipped with excellent the touches one would expect from a 5* establishment. I didn’t use the spa or parking facilities as they were vastly overpriced. Spa use should have been included in the overnight stay, and is standard in the many excellent hotels I have stayed in previously.

Room Tip: For anyone arriving by car, use the excellent 'Park and Ride' facilities outside the city c...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ybell
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I shall be discussing all the comments you have highlighted at my weekly team meeting. I am sorry that the reception team were less than courteous and shall be speaking to the them.

Here at the hotel we only have limited facilities in the spa and the car park and have always felt it fairer to charge guests who choose to use them rather than incorporate these into the room rate when we would not be able to accommodate all guests.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

UK
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Second time I have stayed at this hotel and although it struggles to tick all boxes of an upper class hotel there is just something endearing about the place that means we will go back again.

The staff are all very pleasant and helpful and the conceirge are excellent. Car parked for you and brought to you on departure. All at a cost but worth it for no hassle.

All the food was great and room service spot on.

Location is the best as you walk out the door and its all in front of you.

Not cheap but worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your return stay to us. We strive to offer excellent service and I am pleased that your comments reflect this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Cumbria
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Booked 2 nights last weekend. On arrival asked about parking which no one told us that we had to book but after some negotiation our car was taken and £26 per night was duly added to our account. The first room offered was on the 4th floor, accessible by one of the small lifts. It was a tiny attic room which I complained about and we were moved to a slightly larger room on the 3rd floor. It had only one towel so we asked for another and then went out for dinner. On our return there was still no towel so we asked again and in fairness they were very quick. However we hardly needed it as the shower only let out a trickle of water. In the morning I went to open the window and noticed that the double glazing to keep out the noise was missing from one of the windows. On check out we had to query our bill as mini bar had been added but not used. Our car was delivered to the front of the hotel but we could not access our boot as they parked the next one too close. To cap it all my drivers seat was totally adjusted whick I find irksome and unecessary when the distance the valet parking needed to travel was about 50 yards. Good location but you pay for it and not the quality of the hotel. The AA need to review their star system.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry to learn that you did not know about the limited parking and the charges associated with this. We offer a valet service with overnight parking charged at £26.50. We cannot accommodate all guests and pre-booking is essential. I am sorry that your seat had been adjusted to park your vehicle.
I was sorry that you were dissatisfied with your first room but pleased that you were moved to a more suitable room for your needs.
Please be assured that all the points highlighted will be discussed at our management meeting.
I do hope we may be of service to you again in the future.
London
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Having stayed at most hotels in and around Oxford for the past 10 years, I now choose The Randolph most weeks. Its nearest competitor is the Malmaison nr the old castle, about a 5 minute walk away, which is fine/modern albeit struggles on the customer service side.

So, back to the Randolph - location = right in the centre of town, easy walking distance to every central Oxford restaurant, tourist location, college etc. Handy parking (at huge cost) available, which is worth considering given Oxford's anti-car policy. Rooms are typically well sized and well furnished, albeit some are in the modern part of the hotel which are best avoided. Breakfast is fine, offers a wide variety of choices and is served in the very nice restaurant.

Check-in and check-out can be a little slow, but this doesn't distract from the overall experience.

The underground spa is very pleasant, both for treatments and to lounge around in the jacuzzi, steam, aromatherapy and sauna rooms.

On the concierge front, keep an eye out for William who is streets ahead of his peers.

All in all, it's by far and away the best choice for the area.

Room Tip: Request a room in the "old" part of the hotel - much nicer than the new rooms and avoids a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. It is always motivating to learn when a regular guest enjoys their time with us. I know William will be most motivated by your comments.

I will be taken the liberty of sharing your comments with the team at our weekly meeting and we look forward to welcoming back to the hotel in the future.

Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This is an overpriced, really quite average hotel. Stayed one night, but never again. Some of staff were excellent but others quite oblivious to the needs of the guests. Our room in a new extension to the building was a homage to beige and MDF furniture. There was no need to use the gym as the 5 minute trudge along a warren of dull corridors gave enough exercise. Bar prices an overpriced joke. Breakfast good enough but rather small.
I will never use this hotel again.
Bob Lamoon

• Stayed October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was concerned to learn of your disappointment. Your room was located in our Worcester Wing of the hotel and is the most recent part of the hotel to be built. I do appreciate that it is some distance from the main body of the hotel but if extremely popular with our guests with more a contemporary style, spacious rooms in a quiet location benefiting from a separate bath and walk in shower.

With regards to the bar prices, we regularly carry out pricing analysis with our competitors to ensure that we are offering value for money and I shall be discussing this with my Bar Manager.

Please be assured that your comments will be discussed and I do hope we may be of service to you again in the future.