“As central as it gets!”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bjarred, Sweden
“As central as it gets!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We only had time for a short visit to Oxford, and this was the perfect place to stay! You could not have a more central location, the restaurant was nice, the room vas very nice and we had excellent service. If I come back to Oxford I will certainly try to stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susanna B
Ben Truesdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Really comfortable and delicious experience at this hotel. We went on a stay and dine package for £285 plus drinks paid for on top on a semi business combined with mid week break trip on August 5th. We were looked after well. Quods food was excellent ,particularly the seafood risotto and woodsmoke grilled burgers. We stayed in a downstairs disabled room as I have quite severe arthritis.It was air conditioned. While admittedly, pricey, so are all the other half decent hotels in Oxford. But this hotel was really worth it, particularly as it is so central. They even welcomed us with champagne and bath salts. We were `allowed to stay in the car park well over time to on the day of departure which helped our visits to Bodleian and Trinity. Only quibble is current artwork on display not my taste, and the bacon for breakfast should have been back bacon & not fatty streaky.

Room Tip: We found that even though we were `adjacent to the ground flooor outside dining area, it was peacef...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bellaItaliaUk
Thanks very much
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do serve streaky bacon at breakfast but do have back bacon if required. So sorry we didn't manage to alert you to that.
I hope to see you again soon.
Hollywood
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My daughter and I truly enjoyed our four day stay at the Old Bank Hotel at the beginning of July. Here are a few reasons why: First, it was located in the middle of the High Street in Oxford so it was super easy to get to. We had arrived from London, by bus (the Oxford Tube, highly recommend this too). and the bus stop was about a block from the hotel entrance! No need for a taxi or anything. An this central location on the High Street put us right in the middle of everything we wanted to see in Oxford. Second, the hotel is secure, clean and modern. My fear was that the hotel would not be what we are used to staying in back home (USA) but I was so pleased that the hotel was secure with the front desk near the entrance so they can see comings and goings. The entire property was clean and tidy. Our room was impeccably clean and fresh. And the hotel was modern. Third, Really great service. Now, it is a small hotel but that was fine for me. I felt all of the staff went out of their way to provide us with what we needed. They were always available to give great directions, provide complimentary use of the spiffy hotel umbrellas (it is England after all!) and really are kind and friendly. One evening I did not feel like going out so I wanted to order a curry to be delivered. While there were curry houses near the hotel the hotel bellman was able to suggest a far superior one with great prices and super speedy delivery. I feasted on the best Indian food that evening in my comfy room! Finally, the value of what we received for what we paid was good. It is on the pricey side of things but it really was a fabulous find! I have already thanked the person who recommended it to me and plan to stay there again in the future. And I didn't even mention the good restaurant in the hotel. Yum! You will just have to visit Old Bank Hotel and see for yourself!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Mamajamma18
Thanks so much
I hope to see you here again very soon.
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Great location, right in the middle of everything. The staff was very kind and accommodating. I was surprised by the roominess of the rooms for such a small hotel. They were updated with a nice size bathroom. It was great for 2 yet a small enough hotel I would feel comfortable letting the kids grab food or run downstairs without us.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Sam041677
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

A good boutique hotel amongst the major colleges on High Street. Design is simple but room is clean and good size. Ideal location and with a popular all day restaurant. Convenient parking at the rear of the hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank H118
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have just returned from a weekend in Oxford, staying two nights at the Old Bank Hotel. The location is perfect (on Oxford High Street). The staff were incredibly helpful, accommodating and friendly. The hotel is beautifully decorated, the hotel restaurant (Quod) is lovely with an outside terrace. The food in the restaurant is very very good. It is about a 14 minute walk from the train station. Couldn't really fault our stay. We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Angela G
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thanks so much
I'll look forward to seeing you very soon.
Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a most agreeable hotel in a great central location. Absolutely ideal for strolling off to the sights of Oxford city centre. It also has convenient free parking at the rear of the hotel if you are traveling by car.

The staff were amiable and helpful throughout. And they responded well and promptly to several emails regarding requests made by me prior to arrival.

Our Standard Double Room was on the small side, but comfortable and well-equipped. Decor in the room and around the hotel was well thought out and attractive. It felt enjoyable to be staying here.

From what I saw on the internet, and from walking around the city, they don't have a lot of competition at this end of the market, and I imagine rooms are in high demand. I guess that explains the rate of GBP265 for the night we stayed which I thought was a tad expensive for a provincial city.

But I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank venividivice
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you very soon.