“"Beautiful hotel in a beautiful city"”
Review of Old Bank Hotel

Old Bank Hotel
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at the Old Bank for just one night as we had a function to go to in Oxford, we found the staff helpfull and charming, our room was spotless and very comfortable with little touches that made our stay a pleasure, we also had one of the best steaks we'd had for a long time, breakfast was beautifully cooked and it was a real pleasure to be waited on and not to have a "buffet"breakfast. All in all a delightful, but all too short stay at the Bank. We will go back.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night at the Old Bank on Sunday, and couldn't have been more impressed. Despite arriving at a rather hectic moment in the hotel reception, once we had our keys and made it to our room (past some of the beautiful art work on the walls), we were instantly relaxed.

Our room looked out over High Street, and we could see the University Church, you just can't get a better position in Oxford (also, to be able to park so centrally is a massive deal in this city!).

There is something quietly indulgent about the Old Bank, it's not showy, or grand (like some of the other Oxford hotels), it's more sophisticated and a bit cooler in my opinion.

Our room was gorgeous, the bed was so comfortable, and the decor was just really classy - basically we wanted to move in. The bathroom, with robes, massive mirror, lovely bath and separate shower, was particularly lovely.

We ate in Quod in the evening, and tried a few great cocktails, the atmosphere in there was much like the hotel, buzzy, interesting, and very Oxford.

We had a brilliant time at the Old Bank and can't wait to come back and stay again. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a night in a hotel as much as this one, so a big thank you to all the staff from us two.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thanks so much
I do hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Unfortunately the Old Bank hotel did not meet our expectations. It was actually quite bad and does absolutely not live up to the nightly cost. We were paying around GBP 250 per night what is a very high cost for England. Therefor we did expect a lot more. The room we had was very, very small (we couldnt open our suitecase), old and a little dirty. That was definitely not the reason we chose to pay such a high amount. Unhappy about the room the situation over boarded when they charged us for coffee in the morning, that was no longer acceptable. Especially as I was also suffering from my allergies due to the dust in the room. The employee at the desk was quite puzzled when he saw the price we were paying and told us it was an unusually high rate. They were so kind to take over our breakfast what made the situation a little better.

4  Thank katherinelee

Thanks very much for your review
Sorry to hear you were dissatisfied. We do offer complimentary coffee in the rooms and in the library lounge; however, it is not included in other parts of the hotel. I know this may be a little different to hotels in the states. Obviously an unclean room is totally unacceptable and we would make every effort to put things right in such a situation. We do have some hypoallergenic bedding if necessary and would be happy to make special effort as regards allergies, if we have prior warning. So sorry once again.
I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel in late July13 as part of a wedding party so had booked out four rooms. All of the rooms where slightly different but gorgeous and comfortable with mod-cons complementary to the history of the building. Staff were very helpful in catering for us as a group all with slightly different requirements. Cafe/breakfast area is open to the public and only shame was not having breakfast included in the room rate given the price. Fab location as in the centre and didn't experience any noise issues. On the pricey side but worth it and made the event we were attending that much more special.

Stayed: October 2013
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thanks so much for your review

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you on your next.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Pros: Great location to enjoy Oxford from (once you find it). Nice use of the building. Good art.

Cons: Very expensive. Small rooms. Ineffective heating/cooling system. Food was expensive and just fair. Uneven staff. Some were very helpful, others were downright arrogant. (Ex. We did not receive the paper that had the wifi password on it when we checked in. I'm certain of that. When I went down to ask for the password, the staff member kept arguing with me that we received it in our "Welcome Packet". We received no "Welcome Packet". But even if we did, what's the big deal with providing the wifi password to someone paying big $$$ to stay there multiple nights? Why make it that hard on your guests? Several instances like this were a real turnoff.)

Finding this place can be a nightmare. It's difficult to drive in Oxford to begin with and the staff/directions were not all that helpful. It took us several attempts and multiple stops to ask for help. The hotel staff assumes you're coming from London (we came from the North and found the directed street to the parking lot blocked from that direction) and didn't even apologize for not giving us the full scoop.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Explorer224

Thanks for your review

I'm so sorry to hear that you felt some of your interactions with the staff were difficult. To be honest, I cannot account for it. Hotel guests have complimentary wifi and can have as many codes as they like. I can see no reason why this would be withheld from you. Please do let me know some more details so I can find out. Please accept my apologies. Under no circustances would I expect my staff to argue with any guest.
I do acknowledge that Oxford is hard to navigate. We do try our best to assist all guests to get here without aggravation. I'm sorry we have not managed it on this occasion.
Thanks for your comments once again.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed for one night , room was good well fitted and comfortable, breakfast in quod was fine. Staff were very helpful. The location in the high st. Was excellent and you can park behind the hotel. A bit pricy but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: In the Rooms fronting the high st you can hear the traffic but they have a good view go for one at...
1  Thank William L
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.
See you soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Old Bank is a stylish hotel bang in the middle of Oxford - stylish but expensive and overall pretty disappointing.

Access by car is a nightmare - although to be fair the staff try very hard to help out here but if you're a nervous driver - forget it.

The room we stayed in was very cramped and overheated but not at all cheap at £235 ex vat and ex breakfast.

We had dinner in the Quod Brasserie where food was just awful with a very limited and very expensive wine list - there are plenty of good places to eat in Oxford so if you do have to stay at the Old Bank I would suggest you eat elsewhere

On the plus side the staff were excellent throughout.

But it was a disappointing and costly experience - not to be repeated.

4  Thank Trevignon1

Thanks very much for your review
So sorry to hear you felt disappointed with your stay. It certainly is good advice to plan your trip by car as Oxford is a bit of maze but I am glad the staff managed to assist you.
I'm so sorry you did not enjoy Quod. I only hope you expressed your views to the restaurant manager when you were here. We want all our guests to enjoy their time with us and I am of course disappointed to hear to the contrary.
I do hope you reconsider your decision not to return.