“Lovely hotel but do check your bill carefully”
Review of Old Bank Hotel

Old Bank Hotel
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our son is at Oxford University so we have stayed in several of the hotels in the City. It's easy to see why The Old Bank is number one on Trip Advisor. We have eaten in Quod on several occassions but this was our first stay at the hotel. I spoke to Natasha when I made the reservation who was absolutely charming and very helpful, we were even given the room I requested which had a bow french door with small balcony overlooking the back of the hotel.
It was our son's 21st birthday the night we stayed so we didn't eat in the hotel as he was having a party in a bar up the road but we did enjoy breakfast in Quod the next morning ( our actual wedding anniversary) and it was good but I have had better.
The hotel is modern but still retains character and the rooms are very well equipped and clean. For Oxford I think the hotel is fairly priced given the quality of the fabric and service they provide. However when we booked we were told our rate was for Bed and Breakfast and this was confirmed by email.
On check out I noticed we had been charged for breakfast, so I queried this with the young man doing the check out. This was removed, after he "checked the booking". We then sat down by reception to read the paper and wait for our son to meet us and two other people checked out and again I overheard they had been charged from breakfast when they were on the inclusive rate. Once is forgiveable, but twice is questionable so my advice would be do stay here, it is very good but do check your bill on check out.

Room Tip: Despite the best rooms being at the front of the hotel you will get a better nights sleep if you req...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slj60
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thanks so much for your review

I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us, though i am sorry there was an error on the bill. We do of course aim to get this correct every time, though occasionally we do make an error. I would always advise checking the invoice as a matter of course.

See you next time.

Ben Truesdale

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Good service. Daily guide to what's on in Oxford. Discounts for Bicester village. Shoe shine. Umbrella when raining, all the services lacking at many hotels. Parking.
Food at the Quod is superb
Few negatives but plumbing could be better

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed as a family group for 3 days over Christmas.

The hotel is well located in the centre of town and within walking distance of most things (shops, colleges, restaurants).

We had a deluxe room at the front of the hotel on the second floor. Despite facing the road the room was very quiet. The rooms are tastefully decorated and a good size. There are nice extra touches, free wifi, free bottled water, a good fridge, plenty of hanging space, nice (Ren) smells in the bathroom, bathrobes etc.

We had breakfast in the hotel each day and this was very good including a buffet with cereals, fresh fruit yoghurt etc and a wide range of cooked to order options. The food in the evening was okay but not great, but it is still good value. There is a lounge area behind reception and they have an excellent coffee machine which makes really good lattes and is free to guests at any time of day.

There is no gym, but they do have bikes you can use for free. They take a bit of getting used to (pedal backwards to brake) but are great fun and a good way of seeing even more of Oxford. We also went on the guided walk which the hotel organises. The guide is very knowledgeable and really brings the history of Oxford to life - very much recommended.

Based on the review so far I would probably have give the hotel a very good. What took it to excellent was the service. Despite having to work over Christmas, every member of staff we met was incredibly welcoming, helpful and friendly and they made the stay extra special.

We won't hesitate to stay here again when we return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TheHolidayQueen
oldbank, Manager at Old Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Thanks so much

I’m really glad you enjoyed your stay over the festive season. While we don't have a gym on site we do offer complimentary entry to a local gym. However, it does close over the festive season. Sorry about that.

See you next time.

Regards

Ben Truesdale

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Old Bank was recommended to us by a friend who lives in Oxford and it couldn't have been more perfect for our stay. It is right in the centre of everything that is going on in Oxford and such a charming hotel, lovely rooms and a brilliant breakfast. We were within easy walking distance of all the Oxford sights but the best bit was the bikes that are available for guests to use free of charge. As we were blessed with beautiful weather we used these extensively during our stay - cycling to Cherwell Boathouse to go punting, Christ Church meadow for a picnic and out and about in Jericho. Just brilliant. Loved the staff, loved our stay and can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I booked a two night stay at Old Bank Hotel on the recommendation of reviewers on tripadvisor and am very glad I did. We went on Boxing Day as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. Our room was ready early and was a good size- and absolutely spotless which is the most important thing for me in a hotel. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more accommodating. The location was right in the middle of the high street but managed to stay very quiet and was really useful for quick nips back during the day. We didn't eat or drink at the hotel or its restaurant more due to cost than anything else but I have to say it smelt delicious- constantly! Would definitely return. Thanks for having us.

Room Tip: We booked at the back after a recommendation from another tripadvisor review- this might have helped...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Old Bank in early December 2012. I have previously used the Randolph whenever I have stayed in Oxford but on this occasion decided to try something new and was pleased I did. The hotel is centrally located albeit slightly further from the station than the Randolph. The free secure car park is also a real plus point. I found the young reception staff to all be extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and well presented. The room I stayed in was not large by any stretch of the imagination but there was just about room for a desk and chair as well as the double bed. The hotel has an interesting collection of art that is on display in the communal areas and also the bedrooms which certainly makes it feel unique. The Quod restaurant is very good and room service was excellent. The breakfast buffet was certainly good quality although not huge in range. Hotels in Oxford are notoriously expensive and the Old Bank is not cheap, although I was able to get a good rate through Expedia. Overall, I would certainly recommend the Old Bank, and particularly on the basis of the excellent service, this is now my preferred hotel in Oxford.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DavidMurphy
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Exceptional hotel with gorgeous rooms overlooking spires of famous colleges. Room guides and reception gave us best walking tours. Evensong in corpus Christi chapel was sublime. Take two days and visit Ashmolean museum. Great staff Can't wait to return

• Stayed: December 2012