“Comfortable Hotel & Polite Staff”

Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Worcestershire
“Comfortable Hotel & Polite Staff”
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We had a lovely weekend. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff could not have been more helpful. This was booked through hotelshopuk.com, who met our needs beautifully and at a very competetive rate. It is a very good part of Oxford and easy to get into town centre. Breakfast was above average, good choice of food from continental through to full english.

• Liked — Situation and friendliness of staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
Swindon
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We visit Oxford for a change of pub crawl and being a Swindon lad, a good chance to wind up the locals and have stayed at the Linton Lodge twice before. We choose this hotel because it has free parking and is within easy reach of the city centre (bus every 5 mins). It is a 3 star hotel and previously had looked a bit tired.
We were pleasently surprised with the room. Nice size, well furnished, nice clean bathroom, plus extra heater for Mrs Woo, fan, ironing board and iron.
We visited the following pubs Copa, Red Lion, Rosie O Gradys, Honey Pot, Far from the madding crowd (where we saw the Oxford fan from work who won't speak to me, he looked quite shocked! haha), White horse, Turf Tavern, Three Goats Head, Grapes.
Mrs Woo said we then got the bus home but I was not knowing?
The extended continental breakfast was very good, bacon, pigs in blankets, sausages (Mrs Woo likes a big sausage in the morning, she should be so lucky!), bacon and beans plus usual continental stuff.
Dining room had new furniture since our previous visit.
We mentioned the improvement to the guy on checking out and he informed us the hotel had been refurbed. It showed! As an ex hotelier I can confirm that this is now a good 3 star hotel.

Woos verdict: The much improveness of the niceness of the location hotel.

• Liked — Clean, parking, location, very good value. Was better than expected.
  • Disliked — had to leave pussy cat woo at home. He stays in the cat hotel when we are away!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I booked this hotel via the LateRooms.com website. The reviews looked reasonable and I was running out of time .. I should have known better. I had no idea that Best Western Hotels were only a franchise - something that I shall not forget ...

The Best Western Linton Lodge Hotel is somewhere I would not wish to stay at again. I had tried to get a place we stayed at recently but it was full and there is so much choice in Oxford I shall not have problems finding somewhere else in future. The Hotel is actually owned and managed by Khanna Enterprises Limited and if I had known these hotels were mere franchises before I booked, I would not be writing this review as we would have stayed elsewhere.

The main reception area was ok, apart from the gaudy disco type rope lights strung across the ceiling the man who was on reception when we checked in was the only member of staff I can honestly say appeared happy or even remotely interested in us or our stay. The first signs of problems were on leaving the small lift which we had taken to the first floor, having been laden with luggage. The corridors to the room were grim - painted in a slapdash manner - it gave the impression that we were in a very poorly maintained place indeed, the corridor was extremely narrow.

We reached our room (number 124) having passed by a number of very tired looking doorways, and the electronic card/key didn't work! We tried it four or five times before deciding to got back to reception, however one final attempt opened the door. The room itself was dull, obviously the original space has been hacked into two rooms which means we were left with half of a decent space, one window was huge and the glass was the frosted type you find in a bathroom as it obviously overlooks a neighbouring property, the other window was half of which was previously a large bay window.

The room was barely warm, with a below window radiator which had no way of turning up the heat, and was placed in a area of the room which was virtually inaccessible due to a large desk. There was a further electric heater on the far side of the room which had probably been provided as the management knew there was a heating problem in the room - but this didn't work! There were adequate tea and coffee making facilities in the room, as well as a tv. The room certainly wasn't large - if you bother to look at the fire escape plan on the inside of the hotel door you can see that the room was obviously divided down the middle as some point in the past to maximise the number of rooms available, but this has totally ruined the rooms and makes you feel as though you are booked into little more than a shoe cupboard.

This leads me to the bathroom - which was very small and had absolutely no heating and was as cold as a fridge. We tried on the first night to leave the door open to reduce the shock of going in there, but this just drained the heat from our bedroom and made the entire space freezing. The second night we left the door shut but this made it like an icebox this morning when I needed a shower. Not even remotely pleasant and quite something when you dread turning off the hot water. We had to dash into the shower and then wrap up in towels, leave the bathroom as quickly as possible and go back into the bedroom space to keep warmth in the room.

Breakfast was adequate - a choice of sausages, scrambled egg, baked beans, bacon and the usual cereals, juices etc. The coffee was absolutely awful - obviously made in the large urn from which it is poured and allowed to stew for ages before some unfortunate (me) pours it out and attempts to drink it.

The waiting staff appeared bored and were more interested in talking to each other, than in the guests requirements. There were other people complaining at reception on our last night about their rooms and the staff were trying to relocate people. I should have complained, but as we were there fore two nights and spent such little time actually in the place we just resolved never to stay there again, and its certainly made me question whether I would actually book a Best Western again. My daughter is hoping to go to Uni in Oxford so we will likely become regular visitors to this city - needless to say however, the Linton Lodge will not be somewhere we will visit again.

• Liked — The bus stop is just around the corner
  • Disliked — You don't have enough space for me to detail it all !!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Jules1962
OHIML, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2008
Thank you for the comments on your stay with us, we take all comments very seriously and use them to improve facilities and services, also for staff training.

The hotel was originally two Edwardian houses which were converted into the hotel.
The hotel has many different shaped and sized rooms and finished to standard, executive and superior standards.

Any problems can normally be quickly resolved if we are made aware of them at the time.

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Unfortunately when booking this hotel I found such an amazing deal that I proceeded with the booking before researching the property on tripadvisor. It was only after booking a non-refunadable deal that I researched the property and read a few of the scathing reviews this property has gained itself.
It was therefore with a great deal of trepidation that I left for my stay in Oxford hoping that it wasn't as bad as people claimed. Unfortunately the Linton Lodge hotel deserves many of the poor reviews it has gathered.

The hotel is on a lovely side street just off the Banbury road in North Oxford 5 minutes away from the centre of Oxford by bus. It is easy to find from the M40 and the hotel offers a large on site car park. Upon entering the hotel guests are greeted with the conflicting message of a sign on one side of the door advertising the hotel as a Best Western property and another sign on the other front door advertising the fact that the hotel is independently owned managed and operated.

After entering the hotel and entering a rather dark and depressing lobby area I was greeted (read death stared) by perhaps the most unfriendly receptionist to have ever graced the hospitality industry. Check in formalities over I proceeded down dark unlit corridors towards my room which was in the rear modern conversion. Having found my room I entered and was at least relieved to find that some of the reviews I had read referring to smelly, dirty rooms didn't seem to apply to my room. However what did apply was a room which quite clearly was done on the cheap - the fixtures and fittings of the room were perhaps the most tacky I have ever encountered in a hotel. For example the drawers of the desk were broken, one of the lights in the room had exposed wiring, the television was redundant through a higher proportion of static than images and the bed was hard and uncomfortable.
The bathroom was small but clean enough. It had a bath with a shower attachment which worked effectively, with a good supply of hot water. If I had any complaint about the bathroom it was that the towels had the rancid smell of the disinfectant industrial laundrys use.
Most of these problems are bearable and easy to live with especially if you are only staying one night as I was. However there was one great problem which I found it hard to get used to. To say that the walls of this hotel were paper thin would be misleading. Almost every single external sound from the loo flushing in the upstairs room, the door slamming in the corridor or a conversation in the next door room could be heard within the room. So after a somewhat disturbed night I got up in the morning found my pre-ordered newspaper outside my room and proceeded to breakfast.

Upon entering the restaurant I was once again greeted by another employee who looked bored and as if they didn't want to be there. Having found a table proceeded to the buffet which was relatively good offering a selection of juices, cereals, meats and cheeses as well as cooked offerings which obviously had been out for a while but were good enough nonetheless.
After breakfast I checked out with the same unfriendly receptionist who had gained no charm overnight!

Overall if you are looking for an unfriendly, uncomfortable hotel promising a disturbed sleep this hotel is perfect. However if you are looking for anything else I would question whether this is the right hotel even if you find a heavily discounted deal as I did.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hearing every single external sound
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank completerandomer
OHIML, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2008
Thank you for your comments with regards your stay with us. We welcome comments and always act positivly upon them. All comments will be fully investigated and the required steps will be taken.

Best Western Hotels are a marketing group, the hotel is independantly owned.
liverpool
Reviewed October 29, 2008

My partner and I have just returned from a weekend break in Oxford. Having read the previous reviews of Linton Lodge Hotel we were a bit wary about what to expect.

However I have to say we had a great stay, not a luxury hotel but very comfortable, room well furnished and very clean throughout our two night stay. Staff were friendly and attentive and as it was such miserable weather last weekend we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. The food was great and very reasonable priced 3 courses for £16.95 I think you would be pushed to find that price anywhere else!

Although not in the actual town centre, it is a pleasant 20 min walk or as we found out from reception a great bus service from the top of the road!

All in all very happy with the hotel, good price and will definitely return if we are in the area again.

• Liked — friendly staff and good food
  • Disliked — the weather!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Kinmel Bay
Reviewed October 5, 2008

This hotel must be the worst hotel i have ever stayed in my whole life,

Where do i begin...

When we arrived, checked in all was fine, we carried out luggage up the stairs, and the electronic key didnt work, so i went back to reception where he re-set the key back up for me... we got into the room, the door would then not lock, so i went back to reception, advised the guy on front desk of our issues, he was very friendly and he said he would send somebody straight away to have a look, i thought great, good service, maybe just a faulty door...
30 minutes later i then went down to reception AGAIN, to see when somebody was going to be looking at the lock on the door, he then said to me, the same guy, that he could send in the restaurant manager, but nothing could be promised, so i advised him this wasnt good enough, so switched rooms...

We got to the room, and surprise surprise, the electronic didnt work AGAIN! so i went back down to the front desk once again, he then re-set the key back up for me... a little bit stressed by this time, but neverthe less, we got into the room, and to our shock, the room, was half the size, with the bath panel hanging off the bath, the towles looked as if they were clearly proped on the side of the bath to hold the paneling up, clearly did not work..

I then went back down to the front desk, once more, i said this is not good enough, rather hacked off to be honest, so he offered us a drink and we went and sat down for 10 minutes, he then came back and said we now have you another room, and that he had personally checked to see if everything was ok, which after everything that had happened, now seemed fine..

After finishing the drink, we then went to the third bedroom, were thank god the key actually worked first time around, even though this room was of a larger size and nothing was broken, the smell was revolting, it smelt as if the room, hadnt been in for years, it was disgusting, but rather than moving rooms for a 4th time, we decided to stay and just open the windows...

... moving on...
The shower was a drizzle, there was no power what so ever, to fill the bath up, would of taken days, it was not acceptable, especially for the price you pay for a room in this 'establishment'

... finally...
The radiators would not turn off, and i am guessing, all the other rooms were in the same situation, because in the morning, every single window was wide open, my mother's room, was exactly the same situation... speaking to other guests within the hotel, the problems were similar to our own, having to change rooms & keys not working..

Also in my mothers room, the lights did not work, and there seemed to be some what of a leak on the ceiling, and a large leak at that, and the ceiling all by the door, looked as if it was painted brown from staining..

I would not adivse going to this hotel, you would have a much better time camping in a field full of cows in a tropical storm...

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OHIML, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oxford Linton Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2008
Thank you very much for your comments on your stay with us, we take all comments very seriously and always act accordingly upon them. All comments are investigated and policies looked at to ensure any problems are not repeated. Comments are also used for staff training and awareness.

The problems encountered on this visit were not normal, with regards to our locks for no apparent reason several failed, they have been replaced.
paignton
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Where to start, when we asked for some scrambled eggs because they had run out, they tied their hardest to convince us to have what was left over and that the fryer had broken? I explained that scrambled eggs are not cooked in a fryer and I really had to insist before I finally got what I asked for.

Most of the staff could only speak broken English, and when we had dinner only the minimum of lights were on in the dining room leaving it very depressing.

The shower had almost no head pressure making it virtually useless.

When we asked for a jug of ice, they would only give us a pint glass full, and then this was done under duress

The waste bin outside the main entrance was full for two days before being emptied.

Outside our window, staff were talking at 03:00 am

Overall, this place needs sorting out, its just not good enough!

Stayed August 2008