“Busy gastropub nice for special occasions”

The Black Boy Pub and Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Black Boy Pub and Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #143 of 671 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I've been to the Black Boy three times now - once the food was below par (scallops overdone and fish and chips were greasy), but the other two times it was very good. The food on the latest visit was great. I had the parsnip soup and the pie of the day (turkey and ham hock), both of which were very tasty and a good size. They have a nice selection of beers, the usuals, and then three local ales on tap. The staff were friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was bustling, but not over noisy. I will be going back at some point I'm sure.

2  Thank Hert3284

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

A great menu selection was the kick off on our 45 min wait for a table in this vibrant and busy pub.The second half of the night we ate very well and make notes that we enjoyed superb burgers, decent fish cooking and light crusted brulees. Well done to a great hostess~referee who managed the whole evening. Phone ahead and book and you will be assured of food that is in a superior league.

2  Thank happylemon
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Came across this place on a recent vsit to Oxford and had the best burger ever! Everything we ordered was plentful and cooked to perfection. If I lived in Headington I would convert my kitchen into a bedroom, let it out and eat here all the time!

1  Thank YoshisMum
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Went for lunch several weeks ago and I am quite new to the tripadvisor thing so please do not take my comments to heart to much. Order a Cheddar and spicy tomato chutney sandwich which was nice however the service and atmosphere was very dry. There needs a mein host type who can make people feel at home. There is that thin line between pub and restaurant and the pub factor needs work. Morland beer was good and food was fine... just get some personality in the room... charm is needed.

1  Thank Johnny M
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We ordered the roast beef dinner and it was excellent. This is lovely restaurant serving an upscale menu. It is priced accordingly and the service reflects the cost. I would highly recommend "The Black Boy".

3  Thank Trudy W