“Absolutely perfect stay”

Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
London
“Absolutely perfect stay”
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Room lovely, hotel lovely, staff lovely. Staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly, they booked a table for us at their sister restuarant and when I mentioned it was my partners birthday we were greeted with champagne and a birthday card from the hotel staff in the room!! Perfect location and worth every penny!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Upfront I have to admit that my review is almost a year out-of-date, but I sincerely doubt that the place has changed (and hope not!).This is a truly charming hotel. It's in a very old building, in an excellent location. It's all big-beds and log-fires and wooden-beamed-ceilings. My wife booked this for my birthday, and it really didn't disappoint. The staff were exceedingly helpful- especially when helping to locate a lost makeup-bag (c'mon ladies- we all know how important *that* can be!) and nothing seemed like too much bother for them. I have to warn that the parking is exceedingly limited, but -hey- that's Oxford! Rather brilliantly, the hotel is in some way associated with "Gee's" restaurant (which is just up to road), so you can add the food to your hotel-tab ... all very convenient. And I have to mention that Gee's is about the finest eatery you will find in Oxford, or for a good many miles in any direction (for my money giving Raymond Blanc's "Manoir" a *damned* good run-for-its-money). No, really- Gee's is utterly brilliant and you really ought to book if you're staying at the Parsonage (I feel justified mentioning Gee's in this review, due to its association with the hotel). Also, the University parks are just a couple of miuntes' walk away, and these are just beautiful in the summer. We visited in August, and an early-morning wander around the parks was truly uplifiting. We absolutely loved our stay ... and we only live a few miles down the road! The only reason I'm giving it 4/5 instead of 5/5 is that it's quite pricey. On balance, though, I'd reccommend it to anybody ... just don't forget to: eat at Gee's, walk in the parks, and wander around the wonderful local bars and restaurants! YES!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lichfield
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Stayed at the hotel for the weekend with family (11 in group). The hotel is beautiful, the service is fantastic and the staff are just so pleasant and friendly. Nothing is too much trouble. The food was excellent and the hotel gave us private dining room and the service by the waitress was excellent. The rooms are lovely, well laid out and very, very comfortable beds. Everything about the Old Parsonage is great and the staff should be congratulated. I will definitely go back again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 19, 2010

I booked this visit only two weeks in advance, after a miscommunication with my other accomodations. Little did I know, this was going to turn out to be the BEST first visit to Oxford.

Deniz, the General Manager, was extremely helpful. I needed four rooms and a meeting room for three nights and we were in luck. Our meeting room was a lovely private room, adjacent to the charming lobby, which had a fire burning the whole time we were there. We had our morning and afternoon tea, and lunches each day in the meeting room. It was the perfect setting for a planning meeting. The staff accomodating your every need.

My room was spacious, again old world charm, with all the modern ammenities. Including a towel warmer in the bathroom. My clients also raved about the size and quality of their rooms. One even requested non-down filled pillows and had them minutes later.

The restaurant was fantastic! All of our meals were absolutely delicious. I would return to the Old Parsonage for business or pleasure. I've also recommended it to several colleagues. Enjoy! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank AcqEd
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I usually stay at the Old Bank, which is under the same management, but it was full. The Old Parsonage is the cosier, less trendy version, although every bit as comfortable. Dinner and breakfast were both very good. The bed is excellent, with very nice pillows and linens. It was the best part of the room, which is as it should be.

I was disappointed with the bedside lamps, which were not adequate for reading. A bit surprising, considering this hotel is in Oxford and I stayed there during the literary festival.

Very well situated for the Ashmolean, and not a bad walk from the train station.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Devon england
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We have stayed at The Old Parsonage five or six times whilst visiting our daughter who is at the university. I always look forward to my stay as I know I am going to be spoilt, it's a real treat. The rooms are really comfortable with lovely beds, soft pillows, well designed bathrooms with fluffy towels and good quality soaps and shampoos. Speciality tea and coffee and home made shortbread are provided in your room and the mini fridge is well stocked. The restaurant is excellent and we have had some very special meals during our stays. Afternoon tea is a delight and in the summer months you can eat on the lovely terrace at the front of the hotel or inside by the roaring log fire when the weather is colder. I shall be very sad when my daughter leaves Oxford but I'm sure I shall find an excuse to visit one of my favourite hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Perfect location just a few minutes walk to the city centre and it’s attractions. The building itself is beautiful retaining lots of charming features, though I was disappointed to find there was just a small cramped public area inside with fairly limited seating, so we ended up having Afternoon Tea to get a seat! Though comfortable and well appointed our room was on the small side and also appeared to be in a ‘newer’ annex so lacked any historical or quirky features unlike the main parts of the hotel. It clearly pays to opt for one of the more expensive rooms or suites if this is what you are expecting. In comparison with other luxury hotels I have stayed, I found it overpriced and disappointing. Although I was satisfied with the service, and liked the restaurant, I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
OldParsonage, Reception Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Dear nic068,

Thank you very much for the review of your stay.

As you say in your review the Old Parsonage is really in a perfect location, just minutes walk from the city centre. We offer house bicycles to explore the city and a complimentary walking tour with our resident art historian Isabella Underhill. Due to the nature of the building, our standard rooms are not large, and the lobby, restaurant and bar although luxurious is not on the corporate scale. We strive for warm, friendly service, consistently excellent food and lots of extra touches as mentioned above. We hope this somewhat compensate for the size of the hotel, I’m sorry that you did not feel this or have the opportunity to experience all the extra touches that the Old Parsonage Hotel offers. Thank you for your comments, I am sorry that you will not return.

Regards,