Old Parsonage Hotel
  • Free Internet
  • Room Service
Royal Oxford Hotel(Oxford)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsafternoon teasister restaurantcomplimentary walking tourcharming hoteljunior suiteparking spaceup to dateluxury hotelfirst floorcentral oxfordbreakfast and dinnersmall hotelcomfortable roomspublic areasbank hotelreception staffreception area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 22, 2013

clean, staff friendly , walker friendly oxford is a lovely place and this shotel ideal atarting point to begin the tour

worth the money we paid to stay here lovely breakfast, hotel is in great location will return very soon

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Checked in for a couple of nights recently because, although fairly local, I wanted a weekend break close to home and I was attracted by the complimentary walking tour offered by this hotel. If you've ever been to Oxford, you haven't really seen it unless you go on foot behind the scenes within the gated historic compounds of the colleges that make up Oxford University.

The hotel itself is brilliantly located just off St Giles within walking distance of the sights but far enough that you're not in the middle of all the shoppers and tourists. Parking is a bit of a challenge as the hotel only has a few spaces that are a bit difficult to manoeuvre into but the hotel staff go out of their way to help you park and once your car is in situ, there's no need to move it again for the duration of your stay. Check-in was seamless and our bags were delivered to room 28 on the first floor within a few minutes. Note that the staircase was very steep, if you have mobility issues, you should contact the hotel and check that your room will be accessible.

The room was lovely, not huge, but large enough for the 2 nights with all amenities including REN toiletries (fabulous!), tea and coffee, water and homemade biscuits. The shower was over the bath, I prefer a separate shower, but it was very good water pressure so no complaints. Great linen and nice, big, fluffy towels. My only issue was the beds which were so soft that when you sat on them you almost slid on to the floor. I found them very uncomfortable and woke with backache on both mornings. These need to be sorted out but on check-out we were informed that the hotel is closing in November for a few months for a full refurbishment. Some of the rooms are going to be made larger and hopefully they'll change the beds, or at least the mattresses!

We had a lovely afternoon tea, tried to have it on the beautiful terrace outside but the wasps were intent on getting to our scones and jam before we could so we moved inside (hazard at that time of year). We also had dinner on one evening (lovely lemon sole) and managed to get out to the terrace to have coffee afterwards. Breakfast was very nice with a small buffet selection and hot food cooked to order. All of these meals are served in a very lovely, cosy restaurant off the bar, which has a sort of smart club atmosphere to it with dark red walls and paintings. I hope they don't lose this atmosphere when they do the refurbishment.

On our second evening we ate at Gees restaurant which is affiliated to the hotel and a few minutes walk away. This was spectacular, one of the nicest meals I've had for a long time and not too expensive, especially given this is Oxford. Yummy scallops, dover sole and eton mess! All served in a conservatory type restaurant with lovely lighting and a buzzy atmosphere. I highly recommend!

Our walking tour was a highlight and we have to thank David, our extremely knowledgeable guide, who dropped everything and raced round to the Old Bank hotel reception (which is the sister hotel where the tour leaves from) to ensure we weren't turned away after their had been a mix-up with the original guide. We had to wait for about 30 mins but there were only four of us on the tour anyway and the Old Bank staff served us complimentary coffees and newspapers while we were waiting. The tour was fabulous, visiting several of the more interesting colleges and landmarks and with lots of interesting historical anecdotes thrown in. It was an easy stroll rather than a route march as these tours can so often be, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was concerned whether I'd picked the right hotel when I saw that the Old Bank is rated number one on Tripadvisor, but we absolutely made the right choice as the Old Parsonage has a nicer, quieter atmosphere and is much more picturesque and reminiscent of historic Oxford in my opinion. Overall this was a great stay and despite living within an hour's drive of Oxford, we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Check with the hotel if you're concerned about accessibility
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mac7471
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a very quaint old hotel. The staff at reception are not very friendly or welcoming. We were taken to our room (room 9) and were somewhat stunned by how small it was. We had to wait until the next day until we would be moved as the hotel was full. Our next room (27) was larger and much better. Each time the room was a standard room - however, standard should not mean inferior which room 9 was. By this I mean a cracked toilet bowl and a generally inferior standard.
On a positive note the restaurant and bar staff were really friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was very good.
The hotel is in a great position which is, I assume, why it appears to be full all the time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've stayed at the Old Parsonage on several occasions, usually when its sister hotel the Old Bank is full. Generally I'm happy with my stay. The hotel is full of character and the beds are very very comfortable. Breakfasts are great.

However, there are a few things that will always prevent this hotel from being a 5. The stairway is steep in places and there's no lift. The hotel has an awkward layout. The rooms are small. Given all of the above, it's a fairly expensive hotel. All of these shortcomings would be forgiveable if the service were perfect all the time. But it isn't. Compared with the Old Bank the staff here lack professionalism and a sense that they really, really want to please their guests. It's not that the service is unfriendly or terrible, just patchy and unmemorable.

Would I stay here again? Yes, whenever the Old Bank is full. But I'll always wish I were there instead!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SkyeTraveler
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We just returned from a trip to England with a stop in Oxford and stayed at this hotel.
We found the staff to most courteous and helpful. I might hesitate to rate this as a family hotel. We were there with our 15 year old so it was not a problem but I would be uncomfortable bringing small children here due to the fact that you must walk through a small, cozy restaurant to get to your room.
Although someone was there to help us with our bags I would hesitate to bring small child(ren) unless you ask for a room on the ground floor--there is no lift.
Our room was a bit smaller than we expected but the bed was the most comfortable one I slept in throughout our tour of England.
We didn't eat at the restaurant but had a beautiful afternoon on their front patio enjoying tea and scones. The breakfast selection is large enough to suit any palette.
In fact, we found the staff terrific but the guests a bit uptight and snobby

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family