“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We enjoyed an afternoon tea yesterday to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday. Whilst the atmosphere of the Old Parsonage was fabulous and the food was really lovely, we were slightly disappointed at being allocated a table right by the front door. I booked this treat 6+ weeks prior to the date so would have preferred a better location. Not only was the table by the door, which was constantly being opened and closed, but it was also by the reception, so as we were enjoying our afternoon tea we constantly had people standing beside and around us wanting to check in/check out etc. I did ask if we could be moved and was told there was no alternative table, unfortunately. Overall the afternoon tea was superb and had we had a better table location the experience would have been more enjoyable. This has not put us off going again, but perhaps is worthy of note for future visitors.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments.

I am glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea. Please let me know next time you wish to come back, we will be happy to accommodate you in a different part of the restaurant.

Hope to see you soon.

Kindest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I would thoroughly recommend the Old Parsonage. The look and feel blends perfectly with Oxford - its pretty, classy has bags of history on its own. The room was well appointed and exuded a feeling of calm. We took advantage of the complimentary walking tour run by a local resident which was a real highlight - you get real insight into the location, history, architecture and more - the perfect way to absorb all that Oxford has to offer. Parking is very limited so would recommend arriving early. Breakfast (eggs benedict) was simply divine.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thanks a lot for your review.

Hope to see you back soon.

Kind Regards
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I recently stayed four nights at the Old Parsonage Hotel. I will certainly stay here again when in Oxford. I had a large room on the ground floor. Service was prompt, friendly, and helpful. It is an easy walk into the center of Oxford. The weather was beautiful which made things even better. Room service for breakfast was timely and tasty. Bed was very comfortable. Make sure to dine at the Quad on Sunday night for jazz. Little extras like weather report and suggestions for what to do, including map and guided walking tour are nice extras. I could not have been happier with discovering this lovely little property.

Room Tip: My room was main floor, facing the inner courtyard. Very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon.
Kindest Regards
Cardiff UK
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed for several nights recently. Very central. 17th century building so some uneven floors and narrow stairs in places but this is unavoidable. We had a good-sized room with a vast bed, possibly the most comfortable we have ever slept in anywhere.

No real complaints except that charging separately for breakfast was a bit fiddly and expensive but very good quality. The supplies of tea/coffee in the room were a bit niggardly too.

Parking - the hotel has fourteen spaces and parking is not easy in the city centre. Walking distance to the railway station and a bus stop outside.

Highly recommended.

Staff all pleasant and competent.

Room Tip: Room 30 is a good size but stairs steep and narrow.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We have a bed and breakfast rate available as well as room only rate. Please let me know next time you are coming. Hope to see you here again soon.
Kind Regards,
Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I spent three nights last week at theOld Parsonage while I helped my daughter settle in at Oxford for her graduate studies. I arrived by rail near noon from London (one hour trek from London's Paddington) and took a 5 pound taxi ride to the Hotel. Bus service is also available, with a stop right at the Inn's door. It's located a short walk from city centre (less than 10 minutes), but about a twenty minute walk from the rail station. With luggage in tow, I felt the cab ride was worth the extra expense.

The Hotel oozes English charm. You enter through a courtyard restaurant and register at the small front desk in the cozy lobby (that doubles as the bar, complete with a library and roaring fireplace.) It is a dark, small space but is well appointed with comfy chairs, tables and art work. The service was mostly pleasant (Jack, especially, is warm and welcoming...only one sour puss in the front desk lot and she works evenings.) My room was not prepared, but I was able to check in and have my luggage stored until it was ready.

Because my daughter was moving into her campus flat, I was staying at the Hotel solo. I booked the smallest room (29) and felt safe and sound throughout my stay. The bathroom was large and modern and the room was clean and comfortable. The view is of an alley (and there was a little nighttime noise drifting up.) There is a rooftop courtyard across the hallway which was nice for a breath of fresh air. Wireless is not available ensuite, but was on the rooftop courtyard and in the lobby and restaurant. Even so, the service was dodgy and uneven. There is no business centre to use onsite.

Housekeeping was a bit uneven, as well. The room was clean, but I never received turn down service during my stay. Not a deal breaker, just a bit of a disappointment. Use your "do not disturb" sign as they start knocking early (before 9am!)

The hotel advertises that bikes are available for use, but each time I inquired, they were already in use. Also, they offer "free" tours, but again, when I inquired, I was told that they were booked up or unavailable and that I should go to the Oxford Information Centre and take the 6 pound tour downtown. Again, not a big deal, but a little puzzling because they heavily advertise these extra perks.

The restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. The food is mostly traditional English fare and is fine except the coffee...go to the city centre and enjoy a Starbucks, please! The tea service is a good value as compared to the high tea I attended in London at Fortnum and Mason's earlier in the week. The sister restaurant Quod (at the Old Bank) was delightful with a broader menu, as was Gee (a glasshouse restaurant just up Banbury Road.) For my taste, I preferred those establishments.

Overall, my stay was pleasant. I'll be back in Oxford a few times this year and will consider the Old Parsonage Hotel because of its location, charm and the friendliness of some staff (along with the Old Bank, the Cotswold Inn and the Randolph) when making arrangements. Cheers!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Lisa H
Thank you for your review.
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole. I’m sorry you did not receive turndown. We offer this to all guests and I will certainly look in to why you did not on this occasion.
We do have some bikes, both here and at the Old Bank hotel. We lend them on a first come first serve basis. We intend to increase the number in the next few months so availability should not be a problem in the future.
More good news: we now have wireless access in all rooms!
We run a complimentary tour every day from the Old Bank Hotel between 2pm and 4pm. Generally there are spaces available. I am a little surprised to hear you could not attend one of these. My apologies for that.
I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We went to the Old Parsonage Hotel for a weekend, to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and overall we really enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable if not a little quirky, with a sloping floor in the bathroom (all part of the joy of staying in a very old building!) which provided an optical illusion which can only be described as feeling as though one had 'sea legs' or was in a chapter from 'Alice in Wonderland' which caused great hilarity.

Breakfast however, was disappointing. The cooked breakfast in particular was seriously overpriced and the portions mean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have stayed here several times in different rooms usually with my dogs who are made welcome with baskets and food. For this reason I prefer the downstairs rooms (7 or 8?) which have a small outside terrace and face into a courtyard. The rooms are very small but comfortable and quiet. Good beds and quality sheets. Having said that there is a room on the top floor which is much bigger but quite a climb. Only once had a bad room (on the middle floor) with a very loud air con unit outside the window. The hotel is right in the middle of Oxford and walking distance to everything. They even have a couple of bikes to borrow if you want. Bar/restaurant is great with a fire burning all year and a good value set lunch menu. Pleasant patio for summer days. Parking is limited so if you get a space hang onto it! A really nice place to stay and eat.

Room Tip: If there were two of you with lots of luggage some of the rooms would be quite tight. Overlooking th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo