“Charming Oxford Inn” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Florida
“Charming Oxford Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

I spent three nights last week at theOld Parsonage while I helped my daughter settle in at Oxford for her graduate studies. I arrived by rail near noon from London (one hour trek from London's Paddington) and took a 5 pound taxi ride to the Hotel. Bus service is also available, with a stop right at the Inn's door. It's located a short walk from city centre (less than 10 minutes), but about a twenty minute walk from the rail station. With luggage in tow, I felt the cab ride was worth the extra expense.

The Hotel oozes English charm. You enter through a courtyard restaurant and register at the small front desk in the cozy lobby (that doubles as the bar, complete with a library and roaring fireplace.) It is a dark, small space but is well appointed with comfy chairs, tables and art work. The service was mostly pleasant (Jack, especially, is warm and welcoming...only one sour puss in the front desk lot and she works evenings.) My room was not prepared, but I was able to check in and have my luggage stored until it was ready.

Because my daughter was moving into her campus flat, I was staying at the Hotel solo. I booked the smallest room (29) and felt safe and sound throughout my stay. The bathroom was large and modern and the room was clean and comfortable. The view is of an alley (and there was a little nighttime noise drifting up.) There is a rooftop courtyard across the hallway which was nice for a breath of fresh air. Wireless is not available ensuite, but was on the rooftop courtyard and in the lobby and restaurant. Even so, the service was dodgy and uneven. There is no business centre to use onsite.

Housekeeping was a bit uneven, as well. The room was clean, but I never received turn down service during my stay. Not a deal breaker, just a bit of a disappointment. Use your "do not disturb" sign as they start knocking early (before 9am!)

The hotel advertises that bikes are available for use, but each time I inquired, they were already in use. Also, they offer "free" tours, but again, when I inquired, I was told that they were booked up or unavailable and that I should go to the Oxford Information Centre and take the 6 pound tour downtown. Again, not a big deal, but a little puzzling because they heavily advertise these extra perks.

The restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner. The food is mostly traditional English fare and is fine except the coffee...go to the city centre and enjoy a Starbucks, please! The tea service is a good value as compared to the high tea I attended in London at Fortnum and Mason's earlier in the week. The sister restaurant Quod (at the Old Bank) was delightful with a broader menu, as was Gee (a glasshouse restaurant just up Banbury Road.) For my taste, I preferred those establishments.

Overall, my stay was pleasant. I'll be back in Oxford a few times this year and will consider the Old Parsonage Hotel because of its location, charm and the friendliness of some staff (along with the Old Bank, the Cotswold Inn and the Randolph) when making arrangements. Cheers!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Caribvacationer
OldParsonage, General Manager at Old Parsonage Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you for your review.
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole. I’m sorry you did not receive turndown. We offer this to all guests and I will certainly look in to why you did not on this occasion.
We do have some bikes, both here and at the Old Bank hotel. We lend them on a first come first serve basis. We intend to increase the number in the next few months so availability should not be a problem in the future.
More good news: we now have wireless access in all rooms!
We run a complimentary tour every day from the Old Bank Hotel between 2pm and 4pm. Generally there are spaces available. I am a little surprised to hear you could not attend one of these. My apologies for that.
I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

We went to the Old Parsonage Hotel for a weekend, to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and overall we really enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable if not a little quirky, with a sloping floor in the bathroom (all part of the joy of staying in a very old building!) which provided an optical illusion which can only be described as feeling as though one had 'sea legs' or was in a chapter from 'Alice in Wonderland' which caused great hilarity.

Breakfast however, was disappointing. The cooked breakfast in particular was seriously overpriced and the portions mean.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have stayed here several times in different rooms usually with my dogs who are made welcome with baskets and food. For this reason I prefer the downstairs rooms (7 or 8?) which have a small outside terrace and face into a courtyard. The rooms are very small but comfortable and quiet. Good beds and quality sheets. Having said that there is a room on the top floor which is much bigger but quite a climb. Only once had a bad room (on the middle floor) with a very loud air con unit outside the window. The hotel is right in the middle of Oxford and walking distance to everything. They even have a couple of bikes to borrow if you want. Bar/restaurant is great with a fire burning all year and a good value set lunch menu. Pleasant patio for summer days. Parking is limited so if you get a space hang onto it! A really nice place to stay and eat.

Room Tip: If there were two of you with lots of luggage some of the rooms would be quite tight. Overlooking th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

The old parsonage combines a beautiful 1600's building with class and modernity that dont detract from the charm of the place. Great location in a good part of the city and a vibrant vibe with lots of people frequenting the terrace during summer for lunch and high tea.

if the weather is good this is a great place to stay. really fantastic food and lovely setting. Rooms on the very small side unless they have availability for the larger ones..they seem to be quite busy over summer! the size and qualkity of the room we had were not worth the GBP200 per night price tag though - there is however, limited parking for hotel guests available - which is rare and a great bonus if you have a rental car.

overall a lovely place with lots and lots of character and attentive service - we thoroughly enjoyed our 4 day stay and if we ever travel back to Oxford this will be on our itinerary. Even if you dont stay at the hotel - a visit to the terrace is worthwhile (during summer).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EdanaSchul
Marlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Lovely location at the top of St Giles within 5 minutes of the city centre shops, colleges, university parks and the river Cherwell.

Service was good although we had to query the room rate having booked using the the summer in Oxford deal.

Room was small but well-equipped with a nice enclosed terrace.

Breakfast was excellent but certainly not cheap at £16 per person. We were grateful it was included in our deal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

My daughter and I spent three nights at the Old Parsonage in October last year. We shared a standard twin bed room (room 18) and were really happy with the size and quality of the room. There was wonderful coffee supplied and fresh milk, instead of long life. The twin beds were large and extremely comfortable. There was also a couch and interesting art work on the walls. Internet was free and accessed via cable (provided) and very reliable. The bathroom was a comfortable size and very clean.

The location of the hotel was very good, it was only a five minute walk from the centre of Oxford and surrounded by restaurants and pubs within walking distance.

We ate breakfast each morning at the hotel as we didn’t have the time to go wandering to find alternatives, but it really wasn’t good value for money and I am sure better breakfasts would be available for much less money close by. We ate dinner at the hotel’s restaurant Gee’s one evening. The meal and jazz was very good.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. My only disappointment was being asked which newspaper I wanted each morning and then finding we were charged for it on our bill. Although only a small amount of money, this was quite an expensive hotel and there was no mention of needing to pay for the paper. I just assumed it was complimentary as it usually is.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

Just spent 2 nights at the hotel and we were impressed with the helpful and courteous staff.
Everyone from front of house, restaurant staff and room cleaners were very pleasant.
We had a ground floor room looking out to the garden. It was a quiet and a pleasant room.
I booked directly with the hotel and took their dinning offer which included breakfast and £50 towards our evening meal.
We ate at Gee's their local restaurant and enjoyed a jazz evening.
Food was very good at Gee's and the hotel, if a little pricey. Vegetables are extra.
Parking is restricted but we were lucky and managed a space at the hotel.
You can walk into Oxford centre easily from the hotel.
We would avoid early Sept as there was a large fair sited just outside the hotel which made if difficult to access the hotel when we arrived.You have to walk through this very large fair to get into the town. It operated from morning to 11pm with loud music. The fair is only present for 2 days each year and I would recommend you avoid your stay at this time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple