“excellent”

The Royal Oak
Ranked #219 of 673 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: One of the cosiest pubs in Oxford.When it comes to Oxford pubs The Royal Oak is the genuine article. Much like our well-kept real ales and impressive range of world beers, wines and spirits, our interiors are drenched in class, character and a dash of urban cool, with lots of rooms and cosy little corners to kick back in. It's just the place to enjoy a plate of seriously good pub food.
Reviewed August 2, 2014

At least a place with locals and no tourists. And fine food. We loved it there. And the beer wass fine on this very warm day.

RoyalOakOxford, Manager at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thanks for your kind words - glad we were a refreshing haven on a hot summer day !

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Does all the basic stuff to a high standard and beyond. Delivers very decent food at prices completely in line with the Oxford market. Good selection of lagers and especially good wine list, compared to many other pubs in the area. Outdoor seating on a summer's evening is a great spot for anything from a couple on a date to a family evening out.

Have to say comments about management seem somewhat misplaced from my visit; the lady who I know is the manager was more than courteous on what was a busy Friday evening and the chap on the floor was very responsive to our needs.

RoyalOakOxford, Manager at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your visit to us.

I will make sure the team see your lovely comments about your evening with us.

Look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We had booked a table here for our regular meeting and were looking forward to trying the food. The pub is lovely with lots of new touches since I was last here. We had a really nice table by the garden and very friendly helpful waiters. Our starters arrived were all good so we assumed out main meals would be of the same quality hire wrong we were. The fish and chips came out burnt and was sent back so were the fish cakes and the chicken pie both dishes were inedible. The ridotto was eaten and enjoyed so was the gallinule.

RoyalOakOxford, Manager at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thanks for your feedback - we appreciate all honest feedback so thank you for taking the time to write a review.

It appears we have let you down on this occassion and you were disappointed with your visit to us. From your feedback we will investigate further and find out what went wrong on this occassion.

We would like the opportunity to put this right and would love you to contactus. I have included my contact details below.

enquiry@theroyaloakoxford.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Reviewed July 3, 2014

This has been one of my local pubs for the last couple of years, although I've often been with groups where someone else has been footing the bill. I've always found it a pleasant place to go for a pint or two, and the bar snacks are good quality, interesting and reasonably good value. The atmosphere's classier than many other places while just avoiding being pretentious, and it tends to attract a lively and friendly crowd of graduate students, academics and young professionals.

The other night, I dropped in to have a drink and a casual meal to celebrate a friend's birthday. The selection of drinks available was pretty hard to fault (a good choice of ales including unusual and local ones alongside the ubiquitous Doom Bar, and a decent-looking shelf of gins and whiskies), and the two young staff behind the bar were genuinely friendly and personable. The food is 'posh pub grub' in style, but more imaginative and better-prepared than average.

However, a couple of notable points spoiled the experience somewhat. Firstly, the prices are just slightly too high to feel like good value. Although the food's good quality, and I guess the owners have judged that their clientele can stand it, paying a price approaching the mid-teens for a burger and chips – however good – feels a little over-the-top; £4.50 a pint is also significantly more than the going rate even in other North Oxford pubs, and is something I've only previously experienced in central London.

Secondly, a woman who appeared to be the manager for that shift – while perfectly civil with customers – treated the bar staff extremely rudely, criticising them and shouting at them on more than one occasion in front of a large group of people waiting to be served. I understand that it was a busier shift than they might have expected for a weekday evening, and that there'd been some kind of mix-up with the table numbers for food orders just before I arrived, but it's totally unacceptable for management to talk to staff in that manner, and even worse to humiliate and undermine them in front of customers. For that reason alone, despite all the other good points about this place, I'll think twice about spending my money here again.

1  Thank Owen H

Hi,

Firstly thanks for your feedback for your recent visit to us - we appreciate all feedback as it helps us to give our guests a better experience when joining us . We are sorry that we have let you down on this occassion and will investigate what went wrong on this occassion. We would love the be able to discuss this directly with you and hope you will give us a chance to put this right. Please either drop us an email or give me a call.

01865 310 187

We look forward to hearing from you soon

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I came for a visit after being away from Oxford for several years and chose the Oak as a place to reconnect with former work colleagues at the University. I arrived around lunchtime and was greeted very pleasantly but the bartenders on duty and provided with a lovely pint of cider as I waiting for the rest of my group to arrive. When they arrived we proceeded to order our meals and sit outside in the sunshine. My friend and I had the Warm lentil, roast pepper, oyster mushroom & halloumi salad and my other friend had the Chicken & smoked bacon club in toasted white. We really enjoyed the food and the price was quite reasonable for the quality. After we finished eating we moved to the next table over to avoid the sun as it was quite hot. When the manager came out to collect our dishes she seemed to become very angry over the fact that there was extra cutlery and dirty glasses at our table. She proceeded to go into the kitchen and spent then next 15 minutes arguing and swearing at the staff inside. We were so taken aback by this we actually moved to the other garden where we would not be in earshot of this uncomfortable and unwelcoming behaviour. I had other friends with me who had not ordered yet and when their food was delivered there was a noticeable change in her behaviour. I'm not sure if she thought we were just taking up space and not buying food or what but it was very off putting. The Royal Oak is such a lovely establishment and the food is wonderful. I think the majority of the staff were fantastic but the angry woman yelling and swearing was completely off putting. The service was excellent from all of the other staff except for the one woman which is why I have rated the service very good and not terrible. The atmosphere gets an average due to this incident. I've spent a lot of money eating and drinking at the Oak in past years and sure hope this was a one off incident.

Thank you for your feedback from your visit to us - we would really like to discuss the situation further and resolve the issues you experienced on the day. We feel we let you down on this visit and would like the opportunity to try and put this right.

enquiry@theroyaloakoxford.co.uk

We look forward to hearing from you

Many thanks