“A super find”

Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean
Reserve with OpenTable
Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 674 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French, Welsh
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Transit: A 10 minute walk from Oxford train station, and very close to Oxford bus station.
Description: A celebration of food and wine alongside art and culture. The Ashmolean Rooftop Restaurant provides the spectacular setting for Oxford's first and finest rooftop restaurant. Our menu is fresh, seasonal and inspired by current exhibitions.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

100% for a super meal we had at lunch time on Saturday. The roof top restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and all very well laid out. The sun even came out so we could go out on the roof terrace after lunch. People were eating outside. 3 of us had the ‘Butchers Cut’ which that day was venison, gosh that was delicious and cooked to our choice. We added a portion of buttered greens. My other friend had the Breast of lamb with Mediterranean veg with a Tuscan mint oil & cherry vine tomatoes. For a sweet I had the Elderflower jelly with raspberries & whipped cream, this was a first for me and won’t be the last! BUT my friend decided on Salted caramel cheesecake: I had a taste and it was superb, will certainly have this one next time, and the cheese board was more than enough.

This is a well thought out restaurant/excellent cook/s’,staff, thank you all as I got full marks for the choice of venue.

I haven't added the photos of us all with better roof views as they are private and wouldn't invade my friends privacy. Other photos I see show the roof terrace.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My previous review said that I and my guests had had a terrible experience at this restaurant. I did complain very strongly to the restaurant and group and I still think that their complaint procedures need seeing to but when they finally did respond I and my fiancee were very impressed.
I got an email from the new manager Mike Earp who is charm personified. We were made very welcome and Mike made it clear that, as compensation for what had happened previously, lunch was on the house, including wine.
Our waitress was excellent and added to our enjoyment and the food was good. We both recommend!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Great location on the roof of the museum but a bit awkward to find. Loved the food and the service was great. Bright, clean and airy. Very enjoyable.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I do wish someone would take this place by the scruff of the neck. It could be an absolutely outstanding place for that special dinner - the venue is unsurpassed in Oxford. But having been three times for an evening meal, each time in hope, I've gone away feeling I've been served bog-standard gastropub fare at a premium price. Not disastrous but there are plenty of better meals available in Oxford in pleasant surroundings for far less.

Mike E, General Manager at Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

New management took over the Ashmolean Dining Room in September and since then the level of service has increased vastly. Be rest assured that every effort will be put in until we are happy that the Dining Room is the best restaurant in Oxford!!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Lovely setting although would say the restaurant is cavernous and not really that intimate but still has a nice atmosphere, There is an outside terrace which would be lovely on a summers evening or for lunch. We went at night and it was raining. The food was good. The stewed pineapple pudding was cold as was the custard it came with. i think it would be much better warmed. Service was excellent. Wine list fairly limited