“Beware - does NOT cater for kids, despite what website says!”

Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean
Reserve with OpenTable
Rooftop Restaurant Ashmolean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French, Welsh
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Transit: A 10 minute walk from Oxford train station, and very close to Oxford bus station.
Description: A celebration of food and wine alongside art and culture. The Ashmolean Rooftop Restaurant provides the spectacular setting for Oxford's first and finest rooftop restaurant. Our menu is fresh, seasonal and inspired by current exhibitions.
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have eaten here before and very much enjoyed it, so when my family, a party of seven including a 9 year old, came over to visit Oxford I recommended it for lunch.

We'd previously checked the website which says it does a Children's menu. When we arrived, and had already sat down, we were told that "the website is wrong - there is no kids menu". When we asked if they could perhaps do something suitable for a child, as we had come specially, we were told that no, this what not possible. This seemed a very bad response - the attitude was that it was not their fault the website was wrong, rather than trying to help us out.

Pity, about the customer service as the food is good. By the way, more than a month later the website STILL says it has a children's menu!

2  Thank gipsy_spirit
Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Came here for lunch as a party of 4 on the 27th Dec, called to book in the morning for the lunchtime and glad we did, as it was very busy. All waiting staff were very friendly and efficient. The restaurant itself is very spacious and with a nice view over the rooftops of Oxford, the large terrace must be a lovely spot in the summer. The menu is quite small, just 4 starters, 4 mains plus 2 specials and 3 desserts plus cheese, but that makes it easier to choose and all ingredients are very fresh, and the vegetarian choice is always interesting. It changes regularly, so it'd be a good idea to check it out on their website to make sure there's something that suits. The desserts are particularly good, and are served on very pretty vintage plates!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We go to Oxford every year for Xmas lunch and this year we decided upon the Ashmolean. The restaurant is very airy and there is plenty of space between tables. It must be lovely in the summer as they have a terrace outside. The staff were understanding as our train had been delayed from London and we were a bit late. There wasn't a formal Xmas lunch and we chose items off the menu. We had starters, main course and dessert and they were all delicious. The portions were quite large so we had to make do with sharing dessert!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

It was pouring down with rain the day we visited the Ashmolean and, instead of heading out to one of or usual Oxford restaurants, we decided to try the "Ashmolean Dining Room", right at the top of the museum building, looking over towards the Randolph Hotel.

It turned out to be an excellent choice; not particularly cheap, but the staff were friendly, efficient and knowledgable and the food of fine quality. We passed on the starters (£6-9) and my wife went for the fillet of sea bass with braised red chicory and citrus butter (£16) and, for a pound more, I had a good piece of excellent venison with 'fondant potato', black cabbage and Cumberland sauce. Both were beautifully presented and delicious. The puddings (£6.50-7.00) also went down a treat, Jane choosing the vanilla custard tart with winter compote and I the lemon tart with blueberries and Chantilly cream.

More than we usually pay for lunch (with a glass of Rioja and a bottle of sparkling water), but a marvellous way to rest our legs halfway through a fairly lengthy visit to the museum.

Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I booked in a group of 7 guests for an early dinner in December, during Christmas party season. I corresponded with a member of staff via email after it proved impossible to book by phone. The emails confirmed the booking and the member of staff declined my offer for the guests to pre-order.

I arrived on the evening to find that the restaurant had no record of the booking even though I had the email records to show them. Given a large Christmas party of 22 was booked in, they were unable to accommodate us until much later in the evening. When I asked the manager specifically whether he could guarantee us a good experience later, he didn't answer.

No apology.

We left. Seven people didn't get their evening meal.

I would strongly recommend no one takes the risk of booking here. There us nothing you can do about such gross incompetence.

1  Thank EnglishViv