“lovely place”

• Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic all round”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I grew up and went to university in Oxford, and have had a few favourite curry houses there over the years, which have fulfilled different purposes - boozing with friends through to slightly more refined experiences! So I am not sure I would have tried The Standard on a recent visit back to Oxford, were it not for a glowing recommendation from a friend.

I'm so glad we did try it, because the food, service and atmosphere was great. I was really glad we had booked a table as it is a small place, but they have done it up really nicely and it was friendly and welcoming. The service was good throughout - we had been recommended to try the specials and/or ask for suggestions from the staff, both of which we did and I was glad. The menu has all the old classics, so if you have your heart set on a chicken bhuna, you will not be disappointed! But they also have some more unusual specials, and it is definitely worth trying this out if you are in the mood.

We had poppadoms and pickles to start, which were fine. We followed with two of the specials - a king prawn in coconut/lemongrass and a chicken in tamarind and black pepper (I think I've got that right!). We also had a lamb madras, a sag aloo, a palak paneer and a tarka dal.

Honestly, all the food was extremely good, especially the specials. Every dish was incredibly flavourful, and I loved the fact that the flavours were really complex and built on each other. The real star of the show for me were the specials, but the madras and the side dishes were also really really good.

We were made very welcome throughout, and all in all we thought everything was excellent. We're looking forward to going back!

• Visited October 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“As it should be”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is not one of your new fangled type of 'fusion' stuff. It is as you would have wanted to have in your local environment. We ordered and recieved meals which were tasty and looked good. It is not overpriced or overhyped.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great curry service and value to match”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Great curry house, staff are great. Also likes the beer selection Shane there is no draught option but the choice is good.

Like the specials they offer. Ingredients tasted fresh and of good quality. Value was excellent too I thought and a great delivery service too I have discovered. We will be back

“Excellent Indian food”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We were at this restaurant just be chance. I'm reading the reviews now after we finished our meal. I found it truly excellent, although I'm not into spicy dishes. We shared several dishes and I liked it all. I'd really recommend this place. Excellent waiter, very helpful in helping is to choose.