“Excellent location, reasonably priced and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lina Guest House

Lina Guest House
Ranked #56 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, reasonably priced and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

The Lina Guest House was perfectly located for me as I was visiting family in Summertown, but even if you're visiting the centre of Oxford it's perfect as there are very regular buses into town, or it's a pleasant 20 minute walk. There are also many local facilities just outside the guest house in Summertown itself.

When I arrived I was welcomed by the owner, and he kindly directed me to the parking; four spaces behind the property and two in front. The room was very well decorated and clean, with a small but functional bathroom. For the price I was very happy, although some more expensive guest houses have higher quality pillows, but for two nights it was absolutely fine. My only complaint was that the floor boards upstairs are very creaky, and as I was staying in a room downstairs these were quite loud any time guests were in the room above.

The breakfast was continental (I believe as I'd chosen a cheaper option online), but was very well presented in the beautifully decorated dining room.

Overall a very enjoyable stay, and excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boadilla del Monte, Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Small family-run guesthouse where we felt very welcome. Rooms are slightly bigger than the traditional B&B in the UK. It was clean with good decoration.

We had free access to parking, free wifi and fully served breakfast.

The owner looked after us at all times and he was very flexible and nice with us at all times.

And location is very convenient with easy access to the city centre (10 mins by very frequent bus services)

Thanks very much.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our room was clean, modern and quiet & the staff are very polite and efficient. The location is great - Summertown is a lovely part of Oxford, it's a decent walk into the Centre and straight on a bus route. On site parking was full so they gave a free voucher to park on the street which was great as it's so restricted in Oxford.

Overall, we're very pleased and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Lina Guest house is a cramped terrace house on the end of the street. The room was appointed with nice, solid dressing table and wardrobe, but the mattress was thin and the pillows roughly 2 inches deep of foam. We both had stiff necks in the morning. The "en suite" was barely larger than the shower stall, which needed a good scrub. 6 inches from the door in one direction and just enough space for a mini toilet on the other. Dining tables at breakfast were so close together it was akin to sitting on a routemaster bus, thus impeding any kind of flow of conversation. We were ignored for 10 minutes before getting coffee at breakfast, despite there only being 2 other tables occupied. The entire time the manager sat at a desk 5 feet away ignoring us. The staff only spoke to us once to inquire if we'd paid the bill yet. There was off-street parking, however.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Spectacles88

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Alba Iulia, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed at Lina Guest House for three weeks in June 2011 and I enjoyed every minute of it. Lina Guest House is located in a very good area and also a very safe one in Summer Town area of Oxford on Banbury Road. It takes only 5 minute bus ride or 30 minute walk to the Oxford centre.
During my staying I usually walk to the city center because this way I could see the surroundings, the old English-style houses and also the buildings of several colleges which are located along the Banbury Road.
Beside its immaculately cleanness and an absolutely huge and confortable bed, what I particularly like about my room was the fact that it had a desk where I could sit and read, take notes, etc. which was very helpful as I was on a research trip at Oxford University’s Bodleian Library during my staying. The wireless internet connection was very good and the LCD had a built in CD/DVD player and a free-view facility with more than 30 TV programs and 5 radio channels.
I love the continental breakfast which included orange or apple juice, milk with cereals (4 types of Kellogg cereals), toasted bread, butter, jam and cheese, a croissant, fruit yogurt and also coffee and tea and it was served irreproachably especially during the working days.
But what I consider to be greatest asset of Lina Guest House is its staff (especially Sebastian) that was very kind, helpful, efficient and do everything to make my stay more than enjoyable and comfortable (for example, they even replace the fruit yogurt with a plain one because I told them that I did not particularly like the one included in the breakfast menu or they gave me an additional heating source because I do not know why I was the only one complaining about the temperature of room).
Lina Guest House is definitely the place where you want to stay when travelling to Oxford and as for myself, I will surely come back again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

The Lina in situated in the Summertown area of Oxford on the Banbury Road and is close to all local amenities in Summertown such as The British Broadcasting Corporation, Marks & Spencer, numerous pubs, cafés and restaurants, banks and local and national shops.

My room at the Lina (room 19 called “Kensington”) was modernly fitted with light and pastel shades with a double bed, arm chair, desk and chair, television (with a built in DVD player, together mounted on the wall), bedside table with light and clock, mirror, blinds and curtains. The separate bathroom complete with shower, toilet and wash basin. There is no bath. There is also sufficient space to store clothing in the long fitted wardrobe which is opposite the bed. The shower is a Mira shower, the temperature of the shower is sufficient, the pressure cannot be altered and was poor. Room 19 is to the back of the building overlooking the garden and the side road which joins Banbury Road.

Breakfast was included and consisted of orange or apple juice, tea or coffee, a selection of cereals, toast, croissants with preserves and butter, yoghurts. A cooked breakfast is available at supplement of £4.95 per person per day which is paid upon check-in.

The Lina has excellent transport links with buses to Oxford City Centre every minute or so (operated by Stagecoach and the Oxford Bus Company, a single ticket into town is £1.80 or a 24 hour day ticket is £3.70 (a group 24 hour ticket is £7) There are no direct bus services to the rail station but regular connections can be made in the City Centre. A taxi to or from the rail station to the Lina is around £7.

Members of staff are friendly and attentive. Breakfast is simple.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank seat_1A_traveller
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

My twin sister, her boyfriend and I stayed at this guest house between April 19th and 21st, we arrived and the first impressions were very good. It's located in a very good area and is close to good shops and a wide variety of restaurants. When we first enetered we were greated by Sebastian and he was very friendly and showed us to our rooms. I had a single room and my sister and her boyfriend shared a double room. The rooms were absolutely fantastic! They were well decorated and were immaculately clean! On our first morning, myself and my sister had a very nice cooked breakfast. The dining area is well presented and very comfortable. The excellent service and cleanliness was maintained throughout our entire visit by Sebastian and another member of staff and although our trip was only short it was very enjoyable and comfortable. Sebastian was incredibly helpful, we needed to book a taxi and he booked it and ensured that we would be collected from the Oxford New Theatre later that night. I would reccommend this guest house to anyone that is going to the area of oxford that we went to, it was an absolutely lovely visit and was made even more lovely by the friendly service of the staff.

• Stayed April 2011