“Pricey pub restaurant but good food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Magdalen Arms

Magdalen Arms
Ranked #79 of 622 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
“Pricey pub restaurant but good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

This place has a great ambiance. Double the size you expect it to be from the outside.
The food was good - not great though and for a pub restaurant it was on the high end - £££. I had a bowl of mussels which was not over generous. The sticky toffee pudding was one of the best I've had.

Visited January 2014

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Average food, Service is Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Went on Saturday evening - had a reservation.
The service was good. The food is average and not cheap.

Menu is very limited.
Parking is on Iffley road.

Chicago, Illinois
“They Need To Show Their Opening Hours”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Having walked all the way to the Magdalen Arms from central Oxford (in the rain) for lunch I was more than a little bit upset that it was closed. There was no information on the web to show their opening hours and nothing on the front door to let me know when it would open. The real stinger was the staff who were sitting in the pub didn't even bother to tell us when we walked up to the door.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Matthew O
Oxford, United Kingdom
“this place is really overhyped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We went with some friends and had a really crappy meal. We decided to share a pheasant which was plonked whole in front of us covered in some kind of overcooked vegetable stew. It was almost impossible to get any meat off the carcass and it wasn't really worth it anyway. I couldn't finish the pudding which was far too sweet. This inedible meal cost £30 a head and the service was incredibly slow and amateurish. I really don't see why people rave about this place, I think it's a case of the "emperor's new clothes". There are so many better places to eat in Oxford so I would recommend going elsewhere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elpoto
London, United Kingdom
“Lived up to the hype of Rayner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

It's not often that I wholeheartedly agree with a critic. Given the fact they eat out most nights of the week, and their tastebuds and livers must be overloaded. But on this occasion Jay Rayner was spot on. The interior was quite lovely and warm (a tad like the Canton Arms in stockwell where we used to live). The staff were brilliant. Unlike other places we recently visited we had just one waiter all night who was always close by for us to call on. The bread was incredible - springy and chewy and oily - the smoked mackeral spot on for a starter -and the pie was incredible. Now I love a pie and to make me happy it's all about the crust -and this crust was amazing - buttery and hard and chewy in all the right places - and the beef in a rich, tasty and sloppy sauce. Have never had a pie like it before. I even ate all the edges left on the pie plate which must give an indication of how much I loved it. The greens on the side were ok - a tad salty. Beers were fine - the wine was pretty ok as well - but it was the pie and starter that won us over. As well as the great staff and the lovely atmosphere. I will be back soon. Thanks so much for a lovely night.