“would highly recommend”

Ranked #78 of 680 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Bear and Ragged Staff is a Stunning 450 year old Grade 2* listed building just 4 miles West of Oxford. the current management has been in place now for eight years and have completed a major upgrade of the property. The Pub and Restaurant have been completely renovated, and now serve stunning, largely British food, in stylish surroundings. The nine residential rooms are now open and are receiving great reviews. Rooms feature 32-42" TVs, radio, Kingsized beds, en suite bathroom/showers, WiFi broadband and more. The 5 rooms in the Landlord's Wing ooze Olde Worlde charm. Take a look at our website.
Reviewed June 20, 2014

we stayed here for 2 nights, room 7 was as described and very nice with complimentary bottled water flapjacks, tea and proper coffee , the food was excellent especially the pick and mix starter chorizio scotch egg to die for,
Breakfast on both days was very good, the staff were attentive without being overbearing a good friendly up market place in beautiful settings.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We went here for an engagement party of around 50 people - they cannot cater for this amount as the food was cold and absolutely awful - some people had started their mains whilst others were still waiting for their starters. My Father actually broke a tooth on a brussel sprout which was so hard it was unbelievable - not sure how any Chef can let this food leave the kitchen.
The desert was good but served just before 11pm which was far too late. When complaining to the Manager, he just made excuses and didn't really want to know.
This is the first time that I have been to this restaurant and this experience has left a very bad impression. I had heard that the food was good but this I have to whole heartedly disagree with and there is no way that I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.
I wrote to the Manger in January which was totally ignored - I then emailed my complaint to the Landlord which was answered with a very short email saying that he would be back in touch - I then emailed again and have heard nothing (this being over 6 months now) - very very unprofessional and to be honest I don't even want to hear back now - nothing will make up for such a bad meal and for my Father who had to pay out to get his tooth fixed - disgusting......

1  Thank Kay D
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Very enjoyable evening meal and very friendly staff. The staff were very knowledgable on the food and also the wine lists which for younger staff was quite commendable. The rabbit actually was a touch dry and they replaced it without a word and agreed with an apology so add to our great service we received. Would take friends again definitely.
Ask about the wine specials as we had a great Pinot Noir at exceptional value

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night after a live concert in Oxford and will definitely stay again next time!

The rooms are very highly specified, full of character and spotlessly clean. Nice touches like fresh milk left in your room mini fridge mean a decent cup of tea at any hour!

We had an evening meal and breakfast and both were delicious.

Ok it's not cheap, but we felt the quality of service and food was sufficiently high to justify the prices.

Lastly at just 20 mins from central Oxford this is a great place to stay if visiting.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Came with the family on a very wet camping day.enjoyed the meals with the posh touches. Very comfortable and welcoming!