“What do you mean you wanted to stay in the hotel you booked !”
Review of WestGate Hotel

WestGate Hotel
Ranked #60 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had booked a single en-suite room online for 2 nights.
On arrival was "greeted" by a particularly brusk and unfriendly woman who told me I was staying in “the annex” as that is what I had booked.
I showed her my booking which did not mention an annex, to which she replied “well that is the room you have, I don’t know what you expect me to do”
What I expected was to stay in a room in the hotel I booked.
Their website states “There are two buildings, the main hotel where all the Ensuite accommodation and the main amenities and facilities are located and a house situated two minutes, across the road, where we have concentrated the majority of our Basic rooms”, but this was not true as my room was an en-suite and was in “the annex”
An impasse was reached and I had a choice, accept a room in the annex or be homeless in a strange city.
With an evening appointment I had to get changed and get out, therefore I was dispatched to “the annex” which is across the road and down a side street, on my own with a door key.
“The annex” is in fact a student doss house.
After squeezing past the wheelie bin and 10 minutes of struggling I was eventually able to open the broken lock on the door to be greeted by my room …
I work away a lot and have stayed in rooms all over Britain and the world, but this has to be the worst ever.
Room – Tiny
Shower – Cold
Toiletries – None
Towels - Tiny
Dirt – Plenty
Anyway, I had no choice, so washed in cold water and headed out for what proved to be an excellent evening.
Breakfast was served next morning back in a scruffy dining room in the hotel (remember that, the place I had booked) and was OK
Was out all of next day so just came back to the student doss house to sleep.
Breakfast again the next morning and returned the key to a final glaring at from the brusk and unfriendly woman.
I think I have reasonable expectations for £62 a night, but even with parking and a breakfast this place is to be avoided.

Final quote from thier website "Welcome to the Westgate Hotel, Oxford, a small friendly, family-run hotel where the aim is to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible"

Room Tip: Look elsewhere and don't believe the website
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Nomad1275

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We found everything to be ideal, from the location which is easily accessible by road and is next to the train station and only a 5 minute walk from the town centre. The staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble and the room was very clean, tidy and with an en suite. Finally the breakfast was excellent and they had no problem accommodating my food intolerances. Highly recommended if you want to stay in a friendly, quaint and non chain hotel with an ideal location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Coming from Canada my expectations were perhaps too high. However, the room was musty, the lamps nowhere near the bed, and the windows did not open. I was also somewhat surprised to have to do my ironing in the hallway of the kitchen before attending my conference!

Room Tip: Suggest not staying in the annexe
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Looks a total dump from outside. Painted a depressing turd brown. However once inside it is a different story. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfy. The breakfast in the morning was also good. The bacon and sausage were both good quality and not just the cheapest available. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The hotel is in a convenient location and very helpful staff. We stayed in the suite and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was really good. Very narrow staircase so it was a bit difficult with my four month old baby. The bathroom was huge. Coffee and tea in the room was nice. The hotel is right beside the road so the traffic can be a bit distracting.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The WestGate is convenient to the train station and the Said Business School, and breakfast is ample and very British, if not terribly imaginative. Waiter has a wry sense of humor, and the owner/operator was friendly and helpful. Free wifi. Signs of benign neglect abound, furnishings look as if they were collected from alleys and curbsides, and the loo is very likely to be down the hall. Stay here if no other options exist. The street side is extremely noisy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MinnMel
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This place is clean, safe, centrally located near buses and trains, service is courteous, place for good sleep, and great value.

Check-in was prompt just provided my name and I was in the system, Annie the owner/manager gave me the key, explained the entry lock, and complimentary English breakfast hours. In 5 minutes I'm resting in my room from the long ride from Heathrow airport. I booked a single ensuite (meaning with toilet and shower); it was fresh, sparkling clean, and cozy. I brew up my cup of tea and watched BBC news, with the fresh breeze coming through the open window. Quiet and relaxing.

The next morning, I had my English breakfast tended by Andrew the co-owner/manager, and cooked by Isabel. It was heavy but delicious: thick bacon, fried egg, sausage, fried tomato, toast, juices, coffee, croissant, and fruit cocktail. The breakfast room was warm, peaceful and conducive to an unhurried breakfast.

Annie let me print out my boarding passes and lend me an alarm clock so I won't miss my flight home.
I have a lovely four-day stay even in the gentle rain in Oxford. A sparrow and dove sang every morning outside the window. A bonus.

Room Tip: Second floor (UK first floor) rooms with window
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo