“Lovely food, perfect setting, hidden gem!”

Vaults & Garden Cafe
Ranked #45 of 687 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: International, Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was recommended to me and I wasn't disappointed. I was dining alone and this was a perfect place for lone diners as there are lots of long refectory tables so everyone sits together. Busy when I was there for a late lunch so obviously very popular, despite being hidden away. Lots of vegetarian options and great choice of salads. Food was pre-made so you could see what you were getting, which also meant there was no waiting around which was good for me as I was in a hurry. Also enjoyed a nice vanilla and lemongrass tea, recommended to me by the friendly staff. Good value too for Oxford. Would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Visited this cafe opposite my hotel as it was a nice idea to have a cafe in the church vaults and the whitewashed interior was plain and lovely, with simple wooden church chairs. There wasa good array of newspapres to read and the staff were very helpful. My breakfast of scrambled eggs on toast, used really good quality ingredients and was presented unusually well, with chopped parsley scattered over. My only gripe was with the music at 10am, which unfortunately happened to be 'Graceland' by Paul Simon and so I felt I must leave. Oh, also that they provided butter in a pot with the scrambled eggs on toast instead of buttering the toast first.

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

During a cold and snowy guided cycle tour of Oxford I took my cold clients to the cafe for a welcome coffee and to get warm.. they were delighted with service and a coffee and also the atmosphere even though it was a busy lunch time.. the staff were very accommodating and coffee was great... a great experience all round

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Visited late on a Saturday afternoon and enjoyed the best pot of tea and cream scone I've had outside my home. The scones were fresh from the oven, delightful homemade blackberry local jam and generous crock of clotted cream. Lovely atmosphere, busy happy buzz rather than noisy on this occasion. Inspiring setting, beautiful fittings (interesting artwork, nice tea pots). Help yourself from jugs of tap water.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Snuggly tucked away, round a corner, round a corner, from the high street this cafe is a delightful lunch venue. Set inside the old university church this cafe is beautiful in appearance and atmosphere. The food is all fresh organic and delicious! We visited it twice while we were here, and each time there were four different dishes on the menu; each dish came with either your choice of salad or cous cous. All the staff were friendly and welcoming which really helped add to the cosy feel of the place.
Unfortunately the garden was closed for refurbishment while we were there but it would have been lovely in the crisp autumn sunshine. This is a beautiful cafe whether just popping in for a fresh coffee or having a relaxed lunch away from the hustle an bustle of your day.