“Atmospheric cafe in the crypt of St Mary's”

Vaults & Garden Cafe
Ranked #44 of 691 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: International, Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Good freshly prepared food at a reasonable price with efficient and friendly service - beats Starbucks for me!

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Situated close to the centre of Oxford, next to the big church, inside is beautiful, with vaulted, churchy ceilings, wooden chairs and tables, a stone floor.
I like how there seem to be just two price bands for the food, shown on two blackboards with a reasonable selection on each. Friendly service comes from university-looking students, behind a food and salad bar. For my meal, I had an unassuming curry, split yellow peas and butternut squash - not very spicy, but pleasant.
I also like how many of the tables inside, are set up in rows, giving lunch quite a communal feel, sat alongside fellow diners. My only negative about the place, is the level of noise inside from the chatter, means you have to shout to be heard and strain to listen to conversation. This is due to its popularity. In the future, I may decide to plan my visits to here, at times when I'd imagine it to be less busy - such as 'just' before midday.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Vaults and Garden is in an amazing setting - vaulted ceilings on the ground floor of the church - but the food lives up to the interior! £6-7 mains of authentic, largely locally sourced loveliness - with lots to like if you're vegan or veggie too. Big jugs of water to help yourself too, lovely tray bakes and cakes. Fab - although my favourite is still it's sister place, the Alpha Bar in the covered market - £4.75 buys you a tub of a great hot dish (beef chilli with big tender beef chunks, vegan masaman curry, cassoulet...) brown rice/ potatoes and salad, yoghurt and seeds... Not much seating, but lovely too!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

read in oxford visitor
s book that this coffee shop did nice range of g/free cakes. having located it was most disappointed to find my wife who is a coeliac was limited to one choice only chocolate brownies. all the other mouth watering cakes were non g/free. needless to say we left as we arrived hungry.

3  Thank colin h
Reviewed September 6, 2012

After going up the tower and then roaming around Radcliffe Square, we stopped at this cafe for tea, since my seven year old brother has been dying to do tea since we arrived. We were set up with tea, coffee, and great cakes. Just the simple scones were tasty, but my mom got some lemon cake that was delicious. The location is great, next to some very notable architecture, and the outdoor seating is precious. Flowers all around, though I do believe it is on the old grave yard, so if that bothers you... The staff was very cheerful, giving suggestions from what to order to places to go while visiting Oxford, and directions. Wonderful all around!

*Just ignore the church construction. It didn't take away too much.*