“Bit of a joke really”

Adams Guest House
Ranked #75 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
“Bit of a joke really”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends for a birthday. (7 of us). We had 2 rooms and they were very basic, if that. We stayed in the family room and large room (£80 & £95). One if the rooms smelt very musky and damp. Mould covered the 'bathroom' if you can call it that. Very small rooms, both cramped. All furniture looked like it had been picked up from the local dump. And the 15 minute walk to the city centre took 45 minutes at a fast pace. Would recommend getting a bus/taxi.

The 'en-suite facilities' were awful. Bathroom was the size of a wardrobe! My wardrobe at home is probably bigger. Anytime we used the toilet, shower or sink there was an awful noise that sounded like a hand dryer at an airport. Very noisy! The shower took a while to figure out, going from scolding hot to freezing cold in seconds. Bathroom didn't even have a lock on the door, just an ill fitted sliding door. Also, no way of 'room service' as stated on the website. Also no hair dryer.

Breakfast was appalling. 4 of us went in to the breakfast room and a Chinese lady looked at us and said '7?' Didn't get asked what we wanted, vegetarian or not. Very small portions, luckily we all felt a bit rough so weren't that hungry. (Men would be disappointed I imagine!) I'm not convinced that the beans had even been heated up, eggs weren't cooked properly, bacon was 80% fat and the sausages were the size of my little finger. Avoid the cooked breakfast. There was an option of cereal with lukewarm milk if you prefer. Or yoghurt that hadn't been refrigerated. NO TEA. Big issue for us. Only decaf coffee, which looked like it had been sat there for days. Another couple came for breakfast and realised there was no tea so got the tea bags out if their bedroom and asked for some hot water, to which the Chinese woman looked very confused.

Not a good guest house, felt more of an annoyance than a guest. I would avoid staying here at all costs. If i could of got away with not paying then I wouldn't of.
Only good point was that it was cleaner than I thought it would be, other then that it was terrible.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Laura110193

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Checked in at noon and left my bag in my room.Returned at midnight and left at 9am.9 hours was enough.
I was in room 9 at the top.There is a skylight about 20 feet up in the ceiling and no window so no chance of any fresh air.
The whole place needs redecorating it is a shambles.
It just feels dirty although the bedding was clean everything else was horrible.
As for breakfast .... there is coffee but no tea.THREE times I had to ask for tea and there was only the 3 of us there having breakfast so it was not as if it was busy.
The baked beans were cold ,the bread had mould and the sausage was undercooked.When the tea did arrive I poured in the milk on the table and it was rank - it mostly floated on the top..
See photo.
At this point I gave up,left it and went back to my room.Check out is 10am.
When I got back to the room (9.10 am) the cleaner was already inside stripping the beds and cleaning the bathroom - even though all of my stuff was still in there and I had yet to check out.
The cleaning staff hardly speak any English and the owner just about got by.
This place is a disgrace.£45 for a single room is not good value for this.
There are only 2 parking spaces on the front of the property which were used.All the nearby roads are residential permit only but you can get a permit from the owner to display in your car free of charge.
The only good thing about it is the location.. you can easily get a bus into the town centre( only a 10 minute ride) and a bus day pass is £3.90.
The wifi is free and it did work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank lmfherts

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

If only I'd read Tripadvisor before booking. I was in Oxford for a weekend course and the 15 minute walk from town centre seemed fine and it was cheap. (£45 for a single). The 15 minute walk was in fact a 15 minute bus ride. The house looked tired and shabby, as was my room on the 2nd floor in the attic. In itself not a problem but there was only a skyklight window which I couldn't reach to open, and the bathroom had some sort of macerator which made a loud and persistent noise when loo flushed. Even that was OK as if I'm asleep I'm not flushing the loo. BUT:Next door was a room with 4 loud-mouthed and swearing men it in, ( I could hear every word they said through the paper thin walls) flushing loo umpteen times, with the macerator right next to the head of my bed. It was about 6.30 pm and they were getting ready to go out. I forsaw the noise that would ensue when they returned drunk from their night out in the early hours.And even if not drunk or noisy there would be that loo flushing thing.........So as there was a Vacancy sign outside (not surprised...) and as I had not unpacked at this point, I went down and asked the proprietor if it were possible to have another room and explained why. She said I could have another room - a triple - for extra money. I said I would only be sleeping in one bed and couldn't afford to pay more, and anyway she was unlikely to get an on-spec booking this time of the evening. (If I could have paid more I wouldn't have booked a cheap B&B, would I?) but she wouldn't budge. I went up and thought about it for 5 minutes and realised I wouldn't get any sleep and would be fit for nothing next day so went down and gave her the key and said I was leaving as I couldn't sleep in that room. As an aside, although I am a confident and expereinced solo traveller, I also questoin the wisdom of a B&B piutting a single women up in the attic (no other rooms up there) with 4 men. Although it was only the noise aspect that bothered me, some women might have flet unsafe. As I had paid in advance on-line I was seriously out of pocket, so take heed from this experience and don't go anywhere near it.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any of them.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jax19
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My friend and I were attending a conference in Oxford and wanted somewhere 'cheap & cheerful' for one night. Foolishly, I didn't check Tripadvisor. On another website this place had a rating of 5.9 out of 10 which sounded as though it would be basic but OK, and the photos didn't look bad.
When we got there, just before 6pm, we rang the bell for several minutes before someone opened the door to us - in dressing gown & slippers. I thought by her garb that she must be another guest but, no, she was part of the management. The reception area smelled like a Chinese takeaway, which was unpleasant. The furnishings in our room were extremely shabby - the furniture looking as though it had been rescued from a dump and flimsy curtains you wouldn't even give to a charity shop. The wallpaper was ancient & worn. Two single beds had been crammed into a room which clearly had been built for only one. The bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in & the pillow felt as though it was stuffed with rocks. Fortunately I had a thick wrap with me and managed to get some sleep by laying it over the upper part of the mattress & using my dressing gown rolled up as a pillow.
As our conference started at 9am, I had emailed to say that we would need breakfast at 7.45. We were told we couldn't have a cooked breakfast but that we could help ourselves to cereal, yoghurt & toast. When we went down to breakfast, we found cereal (with a very small jug of milk), one yoghurt each (no choice of flavour), a toaster - but no bread - a jug of cold coffee and no hot water or kettle to make tea.
It seems that the front door is left unlocked at all times - coming back in the evening and going out before anyone else was about, we found it unlocked on both occasions.
Unlike other reviewers, we didn't have a complaint about cleanliness - that was the one redeeming feature. Our room and (tiny) shower room were clean. However, although we were given two bath towels, we only had one hand towel between us. And although the bath towels were of a good size, they were extremely rough.
I've stayed in b&bs all over the country and over many years. I can't think of one that was worse than this.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I don't think I need add any more. Just find somewhere else. It isn't dirty but that's the only positive thing to say about it. I didn't bother to try the breakfast. tiny room at the top barely enough space to move. A depressing place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
United States
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My friends and I spent two nights here. While the B&B isn't in the city center, it's near bus stops and is feasible by foot if you prefer to save £2 on bus fare. The service was fine, our room was clean and cozy, well-lit and with nice beds. We couldn't get the wifi to work in our room and the water pump made sudden loud noises whenever you flushed, used the sink or showered, but this didn't detract from our stay at all. The traditional English breakfast was served in the morning in a nice little front room. I have a nice memory of this place and wouldn't hesitate to stay again if visiting the area.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, which offered well-lit and very quiet rooms. However, I don't think an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Hi. I don't feel that I can say a lot about this place as I wasn't there long. Ten minutes maybe. I didn't read Trip Advisor. We were paying £90 for a night here in oxford. I know thats not a lot in Oxford, and I didn't expect 5* treatment. I did expect 3*, and this was probably more 1*. I can vouch for all the descriptions on here (wish I read it earlier). The B&B is very dated and dirty. The room was absolutely terrible and disgusting. I have mild asthma and I could feel my chest get tight within the first five minutes. There was no way I could stay there. When we spoke to the lady to tell her that we weren't staying, she didn't understand what I was saying, she thought I just wanted to leave my keys and go to the shops. Like other readers say, you get what you pay for, but i didn't expect to pay £90 for this, even in Oxford which is why we left.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple