Adams Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This B & B definitely won't be appearing on Four In A Bed at any point. The best thing I can say is that it was cheap (£45 for a single en-suite per night) and clean. Further than that I would struggle to say anything positive.
I'm dubious that this is a 'family run' guest house, as stated on the website. The manager did her job, but wasn't particularly friendly or welcoming. She just asked my name, took my payment and gave me my room key. I saw a considerable number of signs and notices on the wall, which I find off-putting and rather offensive.
My room had a twin and double bed squeezed in, and smelled faintly of cigarettes as I opened the door to enter. None of the over-bed lights worked, and there was no hair-dryer as mentioned on the website (irritating to me as I especially didn't pack my own because of this).
The room decor, as well as that in the B & B overall, was tired and uninspired. Everything was tasteless, and what I would describe as car boot sale chic. The curtains were too long for the windows and were bunched up unattractively behind the headboards.
For me, the worst thing of all was that the bedroom floors are not carpeted. This meant that sound carried very easily, and I was woken at 3:30am by a herd of elephants in the room above mine.
As I said, I couldn't complain about the cleanliness - both the bedding and the bathroom were spotless, and the shower was very good.
The breakfast was acceptable, if rather small. The Cheerios were stuck in the jar when I tried to shake them out, so I changed my mind. The milk was luke-warm in a jug. I'm vegetarian, so my cooked breakfast consisted of half a rock-hard tomato, a small portion of baked beans, one fried egg and one hash brown. You can help yourself from the pile of bread and toast it in the breakfast room.
Over all, if you just want somewhere clean to get your head down then this will suit you. But if you like your B & B to be friendly, homely, welcoming and nicely appointed - keep looking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Emmyl0uC
Reviewed December 16, 2012

After staying at Adams Guest House, I can understand its name. Yes it is a "house", but only barely. Definitely not a home. I commiserate with the poor chaps over the years who, like myself, have been taken for a ride by "Adams", whoever he/she might be. As for "guest", it is indeed as guest place, since there is nobody else but us guests! The management is conspicuous by their absence. When we were locked out after returning for a short walk, we had to call a number written on a sheet of paper pasted on the inside of the front door. And the manager comes (from the outside, not from within the "guest house") to open the door for us.

We were assigned a small, smelly, dirty, pokey hole-in-the-wall. There was dust everywhere. The dirt on the window sill probably predates some of the Oxford colleges. The smell was so bad that on her first night there, my wife puked twice.

The bathroom is so small, we have to account for displacement like Archimedes - we go in, and there is no room for the water. The hot water from the sink is both hot and flows fast, but there must clearly be some kind of flow-rate limiter because the water from the shower emerges as a trickle and is tepid at best. I felt more like a plant being watered than a human being showered, and this was when the outside temperatures were -4degC. I guess this shows a shrewd management who realizes that he/she can save on the cost of heated water by throttling down on what is available for showers. Or perhaps the water for showers is collected from last year's snow-melt and was running low.

Just outside our room, there is what appears to be a mains switch. We were speculating that the management put this in so that they can disconnect power to any room that has used its allotment of Kilowatts. It was disconcerting and Dickensian --- true Scrooge-itis at its best, I think.

There was a kettle in the room. Open it up and you see disgusting deposits and tumorous-like growths inside. When we tried to boil water with it, it "exploded" with a loud bang and noxious vapors. When we asked for a replacement, we were immediately given another kettle from a different room. Open it up and you see... (please repeat from above)

They serve English Breakfast - and I guess it is "full English" as long as the recycled engine-oil used to cook the bacon, sausage, and tomato also originates in England.

I guess the only saving grace about this place is that it was cheap. But if I include in the cost my frustration, anger, and anxiety for the rest of my family while staying here, it is the most expensive B&B I have ever stayed in.

Please, please, don't stay here.

Room Tip: The best room is the room that is outside the guest house. Anywhere outside...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank A N
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place may be cheap but there is a reason. It is an absolute dive and not worth staying there at all. Horrible place - avoid at all costs.Dirty and had a really unwelcoming atmosphere. There's plenty of B and B's on this road; we gave up and went and stayed in one of these.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We booked this hotel by e mail months ago. When we arrived at 2.30pm we were told they had given our room away as we haven't arrived by 10am and they had tried our card but it wouldn't work. They e mailed us at 2pm to tell us our room had been cancelled, but seeing as we had a 3 hour drive to get there we hadn't checked that, so did not know this before arriving! So they had let it to the next person who walked in the door. The lady explaining this to us didn't really understand why we were so angry. We asked for the manager, who spoke to us over the phone. They just kept saying the same thing. We weren't offered an alternative, and were never offered an apology! I am 6 months pregnant, and we had to trawl across Oxford looking for other accomodation, which was impossible. We eventually found a premier inn 13 miles away. This is not a way to run a B&B. It was a very stressful event, which ruined the start of a lovely weekend away.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KimberleyM60
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Needed a cheap B&B near Oxford with parking for 1 night for 2 of us, great value for £60 (£30 each). Given a quad room would have been very small for 4 but great for the two of us. Room and beds very clean, no stuffy smell, tea and coffee facilaties TV, bathroom extremey small but adequate, toilet flush very noisy. Breakfast fine carton juice, yoghurts, cereals, toast, plus full English, only complaint it was served on a cold plate, otherwise fine. Right in the middle of Summertown. For the money fantastic value would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business